72' KA24DE Wagon Daily Driver

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And yeah, this part of the build fucking sucks sometimes! Huge investments for what FEELS like minimal reward. But they build up over time. FUCK it was cold in there driving home today. Any tips on getting the heater working with a KA swap? 

Today I sealed up most of the holes I could find on the firewall as good as I could with grommets and sound deadening (It's thick, sticks well, and is removable. Ugly but functional)
Rebuild both of the fresh air vents fairly well. Fixed more dash rattles. The car is really quite silent INSIDE now, still getting some mad wind noise from either the mirrors, which I've been to lazy to take off and try driving without, or the driprails. Futofab finally sent out my air dam as well... 

Redline MT90 helped somewhat, but for some reason I'm still getting some pretty notchy shifting especially when it's cold. Need to check clutch adjustments and maybe replace the old slave cylinder. 

P1180353.jpg

Car being rebuilt as we speak.  Thought you might like to see a sub enclosure that works.  What are your plans for an enclosure?

Double DIN glass mould should be saved.  Others may want to build on it when you are done,  

I like that a lot! I was thinking about a similar enclosure as I was doing more sound deadening back there, but I realized I like larger boxes and subs (although I am not a bassaholic I like my music loud!)

I will probably build a custom MDF box across to fit in between the wheel wells really well. I don't actually need the cargo space very often and I'll make it easily removable. 

For the center console though, I will be building it out of MDF, then forming the shape I want with fleece and a staple gun; I will soak this fleece in resin which turns it into more of a hard shell. Build up with fiberglass mat, bondo low spots, sand the fuck out of it, and paint with textured black paint. No mold required! But if people show a desire for it, anything can happen. 

nice boxes... for my goon i will be running 3 jl 8w3 dvc off db series amp from Rockford....they will use part of the quarter panel as the box but it will all be fiberglass molded on the back of the box...im not a fan of free air and never have been.....they will fire across the car not exactly prime but I'm going for aesthetics more than performance...some would ask why not put them in both quarters firing toward each other....u cannot fire woofers at one another the cycles will cancel one another out... giving you very little bass....i wanna come out as little as possible but i imagine with the air space i require i will have to come out past the interior panel ....the speakers will be covered by a flush triangle shaped grill...i like t8ters box rear firing is the best way to get the best note possible followed by my second fav which is horn loading the woofers by firing them into the floor ...leaving enough space that it doesn't become a  bandpass box...

i too like u dakota am taking two 510 bezels and cutting them and epoxying them together to make one double din bezel...to house a double dna alpine nav dvd unit....it should be pretty clean once done....the bezel is a easy mod.,...cant wait to see it done dakota...looking f ing sweet

I dont remember the last time I locked my car... Living in decent areas is certainly nice. Kinda like not locking the front door of your house...

i dont remember the last time i pulled a set of keys from the ignition in any of my cars....lol...521 no included as it will start with anything that fits inside the ignition...

I need one of those spooks so badly. If only they came in white/silver CF.

Yes, it really does liven up the whole car. I do plan on painting mine whenever I paint the car, not a fan of the carbon fiber. Did take more effort than I thought to bolt up nice and even though. 

Looks great!  Think how much better it'd look if the back of your car was a little lower.

(That was directed at both of you ;) )

Man! You have no idea how much I want my back end lowered, but I'm such a stickler for quality that I don't want it to hit, ever. Once my big headliner project is out of the way I might start considering rear suspension; but it most likely will involve cutting up the transmission tunnel. 

if u do!!!! do it before the headliner,  it only takes one mig spark to ruin a headliner.... besides every person i talk to wants the quarter windows out to put a headliner in....i am aiming for my goon to sit plenty low in the rear

Why take quarter windows out if they are built into the rear door? Did you mean cargo windows? I already have new seals waiting for when I cut those bitches out  :thumbup:

nice yeah quarter windows to me are the rear most window......funny hw expensive those gaskets are for those two windows ....almmost more than doing the four doors...car lloks good like the c/f spook.....i got a mk1 lip coming for either my truck or goon.... i was gonna rder from futofab on there black monday sale but forgot ....arghhhh 20% off

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update... 

Fixed a dent. First time doing bodywork, learned it at school and used a stud welder, slide hammer, some bondo and rattlecan primer/white enamel. Came out pretty good for first time! 
Before: 540084_4323804896877_1746444439_n.jpg

554476_4323805616895_1956277761_n.jpg

After:!

58250_4323793976604_2069177004_n.jpg

Hammered black vents.. Got bored. 

819196_4323804136858_196719448_o.jpg

Cut out the old headliner and removed old caulking at school too. Huge mess, but worth it. 
598655_4323792656571_1097668000_n.jpg

Sound deadened the roof. Fucking amazing. The car sounds like a vault when doors are closed now, and no more sheetmetal rattles or noise anywhere! 10000x improvement from the beginning of this long journey. 
313709_4323792216560_1484648501_n.jpg

Beauty shot of her at school 
820819_4323791856551_516704788_o.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, so far I've notice a good difference in the road noise. Still need to take care of some things that are promoting the "wind tunnel" above 50MPH. One, the worst offender being the flag mirrors, which are gonna be replaced by fender mirrors in the next month or two. Next, PO didn't seam-seal the driprails so those are definitely catching more wind than they should. Windshield curling up around seal+having a seal meant to accept trim and not having it=More noise. Tiny things like this make it worse than it should be. 

New windshield is in transit though, with a new trimless seal. Will install that at school along with the new headliner in 2 weeks hopefully.. Investigating getting a full new catback style exhaust. Very curious if this would fit a wagon.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Catback-Exhaust-Nissan-Datsun-510-SR20DET-KA24-/190557570959?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5e1dc78f&vxp=mtr