Does it make a difference?

DatMo

So things like this that are expected shouldn't be taken as a serious problem to me? My price range is low too. So I get what I pay for. Soon enough. I do appreciate the help everyone.

Get the least rust car money can buy.

If you can't weld and are scared to .. and half the car is "holy" than probably not a good match lol

Expect some. Expect it in the common spots.

Learning to weld is easy.

Learning to weld on a 40 year old car is a little more challenging.

Weldingvis experience by practice practice practice

Having the time/$$$/will/space/willing to practice is the hard part.

Some rust and holes/ weak areas are to be expected.

If the car is hit by a semi truck that is a judgement call lol as everything could be effed you see ?

Make sure she's running or you can get her running.

Drivetrain should have attention

Do engine smoke tests.

Does the car have workable brakes that stop the car and don't leak ?

Will the car shift into gear ?

Etc etc

Car may not run for under $1000

It comes down to your commitment and ability to learn

These cars are easy to work on.

There is a lot of info and support/parts here.

I guarantee you will always be tinkering on them fort better or for worse til death do to part !

You may kiss your datsun.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the least rust car money can buy.

If you can't weld and are scared to .. and half the car is "holy" than probably not a good match lol

Expect some. Expect it in the common spots.

Learning to weld is easy.

Learning to weld on a 40 year old car is a little more challenging.

Weldingvis experience by practice practice practice

Having the time/$$$/will/space/willing to practice is the hard part.

Some rust and holes/ weak areas are to be expected.

If the car is hit by a semi truck that is a judgement call lol as everything could be effed you see ?

Make sure she's running or you can get her running.

Drivetrain should have attention

Do engine smoke tests.

Does the car have workable brakes that stop the car and don't leak ?

Will the car shift into gear ?

Etc etc

Car may not run for under $1000

It comes down to your commitment and ability to learn

These cars are easy to work on.

There is a lot of info and support/parts here.

I guarantee you will always be tinkering on them fort better or for worse til death do to part !

You may kiss your datsun.

I have my brother and I'm planning to take welding classes soon. I'm so stoked. I know it will be ahrd but like you said. Hate/love relationship.

:thumbup: you should be well on your way.

The mechanical portions ( to me ) are faster to learn on these cars .. than the bodywork portions

If you can figure out if you have gas or spark you can literally likely be able to get these cars going lol.

It is important to soak up the details/common issues/tricks to :)

Datzenmike (resident tranny guru )

Ggzilla

Banzai510

DanielC

Seem to be the heavier hitters on the forum. "Go to" guys if you will.

Pics are a must once you get your car.

How to post pics is in a stickied thread.

We love pics here ...

I bought a 69 in January with zero rust (only very minor surface rust) for a little over $3K. Ran well, no major parts broken, crappy seats, and I'm perfectly happy.

Everything people have told you, you should take to heart. The Keeper has fair prices so he's unlikely to budge much. It worth worth you pay through him. You say you hate wide bodies on 510s and you don't know how to do bodywork. You're going to hate yourself then if that's what you decide to pick up. Wait it out, save up a bit more cash and buy a non-wide body that suits you.

If you really do say this a dream car, then make sure you pick one you're going to enjoy and not one that will sour the experience for you.

Welcome to the site.

• Like 1

bump.

Cant expect a 40 year old vehicle not to have problems..

and considering,they are minor

minor??? you did see my car in person, did you not??

But in anycase what ever car you by it will be a project vehicle, I highly recommend one with title and is drivable.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

minor??? you did see my car in person, did you not??

But in anycase what ever car you by it will be a project vehicle, I highly recommend one with title and is drivable.

I did I did.

But for the most part,at least with the 510s I have had/have anything is minor.

Try doing a simple repair on a new pos :sneaky:

Wait I have to get my wrench set lap top

I bought a 69 in January with zero rust (only very minor surface rust) for a little over $3K. Ran well, no major parts broken, crappy seats, and I'm perfectly happy.

Everything people have told you, you should take to heart. The Keeper has fair prices so he's unlikely to budge much. It worth worth you pay through him. You say you hate wide bodies on 510s and you don't know how to do bodywork. You're going to hate yourself then if that's what you decide to pick up. Wait it out, save up a bit more cash and buy a non-wide body that suits you.

If you really do say this a dream car, then make sure you pick one you're going to enjoy and not one that will sour the experience for you.

Welcome to the site.

Thank you. I've taken everything into heart. I chose not to buy the wide body and just wait it out. It's just because I'm in that first car rush feeling and knowing my first car can potentially be my dream car, I'd be absolutely happy.

I watched and tried to buy a 510 for about 4 or 5 months, and I finally found a almost rust free,running and driving 2 owner wagon for $800. Wagons usually tend to cost less. Just wait it out and jump on it when a relatively rust free 2 door pops up.

also get one of these.

Haynes-28018-rw-51962-62204.jpg

I've owned Datsuns for the better part of 13 years and i still refer to the manual. but like others have said, they are easy to work on. be patient and you will find one. i just bought mine for $1900 and glad i waited. good luck!

2200 is a good price for a four door correct? but it doesn't have good interior. I just don't wanna rush. I can get pictures soon. Could you guys give me an idea? The interior is prob a 3/10. :/

well it really depends what part of the country you are in. Here in CA they seem to be more pricey than anywhere else for some reason. 2200 should get you at least a running and stopping car. rust for sure, interior would need work and nody definitely needs work. sorta like a running project. if you have a car trailer and some time i would check out Craiglsist up north in oregon, washington and even canada. i've seen some very fair priced dimes up there. it all comes down to how much you are willing to pay.

well it really depends what part of the country you are in. Here in CA they seem to be more pricey than anywhere else for some reason. 2200 should get you at least a running and stopping car. rust for sure, interior would need work and nody definitely needs work. sorta like a running project. if you have a car trailer and some time i would check out Craiglsist up north in oregon, washington and even canada. i've seen some very fair priced dimes up there. it all comes down to how much you are willing to pay.

Sometimes, CA is the biggest hassle ever. Well that seems to fit the car precisely. He wants 2600 because he got a new paint job but the rest is going to break the paint soon. I just wish I found a two door and I can't get the car from too far down. I'm only 16 and my father is only willing to drive two hours max. Socal is eh...

this right here is a steal.

http://community.rat...971-datsun-510/

very good example of fair price. needs work, but runs well.

I thought so. I had already looked at that car as well. I asked my farther but he disagreed. I want one close to it except is has racing seats that are extremely fake and crappy instead of original. Do you know price ranges of refurnishing ?

this one is a good deal too. and in socal

http://community.rat...ner-driver-62k/

I'm surprised it hasn't sold. jump on it!

I actually saw that one too but I REALLY want a 4spd.I think it'll be too much of a hassle making it into one. Breaking the firewall and all is too much work for 16 year old.

not really that much work. just have to make a whole where the shifter would be and maybe shorten the driveshaft a bit. the tranny themselves bolt right up and there's tons of guys on here that have done it and documented well. but it's your money and in the end get what you want. good luck.

oh and for 2500 be prepared to put in a lot of work into these cars. remember they are 40 years old and a lot have been abused and beat to shit. things break, and you will get the urge to sell it when things are bad. just a heads up.

Edited by skyblue521

not really that much work. just have to make a whole where the shifter would be and maybe shorten the driveshaft a bit. the tranny themselves bolt right up and there's tons of guys on here that have done it and documented well. but it's your money and in the end get what you want. good luck.

How much do you think the total cost would be? Finding parts and all?