sound proofing

ok how many people have done sound proofing and what seems to work the best. i am getting 8lb house carpet padding today and i have carpeting but was thinking about sound proofing my 620 as well.

then it's time to find a quiet exaust.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a part roll of roofing tar about 1/4-3/8" thick. It's dry and flexible and comes in a 1 meter width. You can cut easily with tin snips and even 'weld' pieces together with a propane torch, just heat and press together. It's flexible but if heated with a torch even more so and can be pressed into corners. Once in, lay your carpet. It's dry and has a plastic film on one side you peel off if heating. Talk to any roofer they'll probably give you an end roll. I did.

i'd break the piggy bank and get dynamat xtreme

it's pretty easy to work with; you can mold it with your fingers and hands

(and you'll be thankful of that by the time your done)

plus, it makes a HUGE difference in an old dat

gets rid of much road noise and tinny sounds

Dynamat.jpg

JC Whitney sells what is essentially a bitumen impregnated mat by the foot. I used it to replace the factory matting under my rear seat, an exact match for factory installation. Just be sure to let it warm up and install on a sunny day. It will crack if you try to unroll on a cold day. It would be good for sound deadening inside large door panels. Under floor mats I use ordinary foam carpet padding. No fuss, no mus and it cant bleed thru.

I know it probably won't make much of a difference, but keep in mind how much these mats weigh, and how much you're using. On a car that weighs less than a ton adding even 50 lbs will make a slight difference in feel.

I know it probably won't make much of a difference, but keep in mind how much these mats weigh, and how much you're using. On a car that weighs less than a ton adding even 50 lbs will make a slight difference in feel.

Diet and exercise! and get a good skinny girlfriend

• 2 months later...

to add to the discussion has anyone tried the spray on/roll on sound deadening stuff. I remember seeing some on GEARZ a few times which was called lizard skin and it looked just like tar in a bucket-probably was but it says that it comes with a special gun where you can spray it on.

FloorInsulation010.jpg

The guys on my old Ford forum swear by this product. Comes in rolls 6' x 4', longer lengths by request. Reduces sound and heat very well. A specially made fiberglass insulation bonded to aluminum substrate. Very, very light. You can even use it above headliners.

It is sold by one of that forum's members who I think works for the manufacturer. Pricing is very good, and I believe he is nice enough to send a small sample on request.

He usually has some listed on ePay, but I didn't find any tonight.

If you are interested, send me a PM and I will give you his name and number.

2008_07_27Insulation2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I've heard (pun intended) that Q-Pads work pretty good:

FIB116.jpg.

I also believe they're cheaper than Dynamat.

yeah, I've used those. A lot cheaper than dynamat but you have to kind of heat it up to get it to stay and form to where you are sticking it.

Also a little hard to find locally. A friend happen to know a store but most places I went had no idea what I was talking about and tried to sell me dynamat. :rolleyes:

257DSC07482.JPG

257DSC07483.JPG

yeah, I've used those. A lot cheaper than dynamat but you have to kind of heat it up to get it to stay and form to where you are sticking it.

Also a little hard to find locally. A friend happen to know a store but most places I went had no idea what I was talking about and tried to sell me dynamat. :rolleyes:

Well, the person who recommended them lives in Arizona. Even then, they warmed 'em with a torch to mold 'em into place.

I haven't looked for 'em in Washington, yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...