Project KABOOM!!! L16 Grenade engine build!!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The same head bolt was used in ALL four cylinders and 240/260/280x AND 280zx (non turbo) motors so if it will torque to 60 ft lbs on an L20B it won't break just because it's on an L16.

My only guess is that this particular head gasket is one that required some sort of sealant like that Copper Coat spray to be used on it, but the gasket didn't have any directions stating to do so. :confused: I'm gonna try to pull the head and keep the intake and exhaust header attached to save time fixing it. :sneaky:

If your head and block are flat and clean you don't need a sealer. Think about it.. Nissan didn't use it. You use it and you'll never get that head off again, ever. If running 12 to 1 compression with nitrous/turbo, ARP head studs, O rings, and a solid copper head gasket then fine use a sealer.

I got it all back together and it doesn't look to be leaking anywhere now. I didn't get it started yet though, because the engine has SO MUCH COMPRESSION :devil: that the old starter can't hardly turn the engine over ( you can watch the blades on the fan slowly move and almost stop at every compression stroke). I'm gonna run to the store tomorrow and hopefully get it running tomorrow night. :thumbup: Gotta love that high compression :wub:

I posted this in my Race Wagon, but I finally got the Grenade Engine fired up!!! It's sounds friggin' awesome. I'll be posting start up videos as soon as I get a chance. I can hardly wait to get it on the track and see how it performs. :hyper:

because the engine has SO MUCH COMPRESSION that the old starter can't hardly turn the engine over

You sure its time right on the dizzy????????

get a Gear reduction starter

these are good I hear or just get a 280zx(z ) starter

http://tsimportedaut...onstarters.html

Yeah, I just timed it with my light, I set it at 36 degrees this time. I usually go with 38 degrees, but that is when the starter really seems to start struggling to crank it. I'm actually considering the 280ZX starter already, as I've killed two starters on the race car this season already. :rofl: At least they have a Life Time Warrenty from AutoCrap.

Gotta say i'm new to Datsuns, just getting out of my '93 turbo talon, but love this build. I'm picking up a '69 521 on the 8th (two days!!!!) with full intentions of building the l16 to see if I can get it to drift, and it's also going to be my daily :devil: . What can i say, i'm a rebel. You can now say you're being idolized, I am dreaming of the day my truck sounds like that. Props :thumbup:

Gotta say i'm new to Datsuns, just getting out of my '93 turbo talon, but love this build. I'm picking up a '69 521 on the 8th (two days!!!!) with full intentions of building the l16 to see if I can get it to drift, and it's also going to be my daily :devil: . What can i say, i'm a rebel. You can now say you're being idolized, I am dreaming of the day my truck sounds like that. Props :thumbup:

hmm 1969 521 would only have the J13 unless an L series has already been swapped in, if an L series has been swapped in it may not be an L16 could be an L18 or L20b

Has to be after July '69 making it a '70 model year if it has an L16. The '69 L521s only came with a J13 motor. Often the year it was registered is put down as the build year.

Check the engine tag up on the cowl behind the valve cover. It should say PL521XXXXX. A J13 motor will say L521XXXXX

You can now say you're being idolized, I am dreaming of the day my truck sounds like that. Props :thumbup:

Thanks for the compliment, but it really was a fairly cheap and easy engine build. I think this was about the most bang for the buck I could have gotten and stayed "stock" for my racing class :rofl:

Keep in mind this engine is completely UNSTREETABLE with this camshaft installed. You could probably get similar results with a milder camshaft though. This engine is really built to run at 4,500 RPM and higher with around a 7,500 RPM redline :devil:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The engine works great! Lots of power for an L16. I put a weber 38dgas carb on it. Main jet size is 135 and air corrector is 195. I wrecked the car in my first race. :( it's getting fixed now and will be back in the races in a few weeks. I'm turning around 7500 rpm in the straight aways.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...