Stranded Ratsun Airman in Blackfoot, ID

So I'm traveling on orders to my first base, right? Well, I think I threw a rod.

I'm from Washington, and my base is in North Dakota. I decided to drive there in my '79 210 with a Weber'd A14. In La Grande, I picked up a bottle of STP. Just before Baker City, OR I could feel it getting bogged down and rough, like it was suffocating, and my dad/I decided it was the change in altitude. I took off the filter, and adjusted the idle a bit to compensate. Just before Ontario, OR the hose to the carb popped right off of the fuel pump while going up a pretty steep hill. I stopped at the Wal-Mart to grab some wire and strapped it back into place. Made it to Boise, and that was my first day.

The second day I started out and made it to Burley, ID where it stalled, and refused to turn over, with exception of some dieseling. Vapor lock. Local shop told me to keep at least half a tank of gas in the car. Continued on through Pocatello, and then at Fort Hall, I stopped for gas (was below half a tank). Went to go back on the freeway, and it started its vaporlock-like activity again. With a bit of clutch action I kept it from stalling, and eventually got into 4th and cruising again. 5 miles later the rattling occurs. I let it stall and coast down the off-ramp to a roadside just a quater-mile from a gas station. I had a complete loss of oil pressure and absolutely no oil in the engine (And I had checked it just yesterday when I set out.) Bought 5qts, filled it up, had some for back up. It still rattled. After long debate with my father and family friend mechanic, and noticing that it didn't rattle insanely when it was cruising (only when considerable torque was applied), we decided to attempt driving it CAREFULLY and gently, hopefully to Idaho Falls. I made it about 8 miles to Black foot before what sounded like it throwing a rod. First a small rattle, then BB in a can, and finally the horrific last ping.

I need to get to Grand Forks, ND by Saturday at the latest. A shop is going to call me in the morning to look at it. Any help and/or suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Mourning quietly,

Fitz

(I know I need oics, but the engine looks normal. So here's my car.)

CmDHH.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well remember if finance stuff is going to be a problem give your first sergeant a call and get money sent the military has avenues to help out airmen including some Zero percent loans sometimes. Are there any military bases close by that have auto hobby shops those could give you tools to work unless you are going to have the shop do it? It might be crappy, but you might have to fly/rent a car because you don't want to miss your RNLT date unless you call ahead and they are understanding. A report date over the Memorial Day weekend that is rough. If you were in the Denver area this fellow airman would be there in a heartbeat. If you need me to look someone up and give them a call at Grand Forks send me a PM.

Closest base is Mountain Home (that is the wrong direction) sorry

Well remember if finance stuff is going to be a problem give your first sergeant a call and get money sent the military has avenues to help out airmen including some Zero percent loans sometimes. Are there any military bases close by that have auto hobby shops those could give you tools to work unless you are going to have the shop do it? It might be crappy, but you might have to fly/rent a car because you don't want to miss your RNLT date unless you call ahead and they are understanding. A report date over the Memorial Day weekend that is rough. If you were in the Denver area this fellow airman would be there in a heartbeat. If you need me to look someone up and give them a call at Grand Forks send me a PM.

Closest base is Mountain Home (that is the wrong direction) sorry

I'm beginning to think this is the course of action I'll have to take. Talked to my NCO, and he gave me a couple days lee-way. Mostly I just feel weird about leaving the car in a strange town. If I can get it, to get me to base, I'd rather do that.

im back in caldwell, so prolly no help...

but you mention noise coming from the engine.. you had a full on clack clack clack, or what?

if you check the oil, is there alot of bearing material? does the oil feel gritty?

prolly stupid questions at this point, but its kinda sounding like motor swaparoo time...

im back in caldwell, so prolly no help...

but you mention noise coming from the engine.. you had a full on clack clack clack, or what?

if you check the oil, is there alot of bearing material? does the oil feel gritty?

prolly stupid questions at this point, but its kinda sounding like motor swaparoo time...

Yeah..... it was a full on rapid clack. Shit... >.>

You have two options. Where are you now? (Whoops, okay, see you're in Blackfoot, Idaho)

Option A: Are there any ratsuner's around your location with a spare A motor and the desire to swap it out? (Actually pretty easy.)

Option B: Leave or sell the car, rent a car to drive to your base.

C. Find some one close wear the car can be.

B. Find out what a car hauler charges to get it home.

Greasemonkey hauls, but with no fair on the way there it would cost you I imagine, unless someone needs a car hauled out that way by chance?

Those dollys are expensive. I looked into that a while back. Check local craigslist, see if there's a guy with a Datsun who will trade you with some cash for another running Datsun?

Same shit happened to me in Wendover Utah. Almost to the salt flats and my head gasket blew out the side...

I rented a uhaul truck and dolley and was on my way the next day. Had to suck up the cost, but I too had a deadline to be at my destination.