THE 07 MAZDA3 "GOON" - RIP

100_0935.jpg

My wifes car...

-started out like many other things in a marriage... lots of talking... she was driving a our 1988 BMW 735i, and we had been experiencing plenty of issues between the initial head rebuild, and the new ones like heater core leaks, and check engine lights. The experience left both of us wanting something reliable to carry us through my time in basic military training... and it was coming fast. so i started by asking her to make a list of vehicles that she liked the look of, and we would start from there... after eliminating the likely lemons, we were down to a lexus is300, and a mazda3 5dr hb. after looking into the two we determined that the mazda was going to get us a newer car for the money. and we found THIS
207071_1700075547202_1397316465_31436552
SOOOO we bought it.. $12,000 with a kbb of $15,000... good deal
202038_1701645186442_1397316465_31439362
210265_1701654626678_1397316465_31439371
she was exstatic to drive it home... but we went right to work... threw a DPS YELLOW full suspension kit at it, and i dropped it as low as it could functionally go. we also replaced the brake rotors with powerslot slotted rotors, and full ceremic pads. new dunlop direzza tires for the 18" rims and ripped out the resignator, and one of the two factory mufflers. it did a great job keeping her safe while i was away..
472472_2851091121872_1397316465_32175247
AS YOU CAN SEE ABOVE ^^^ IT NEEDED CAMBER KITS IN THE REAR
476235_2945248795755_1397316465_32222945
SO WE GOT THEM
414151_2851022440155_1397316465_32175214
AND a strut tower brace for the upper front... for obvious reasons
BUT THEN WE WANTED TO FINISH THE CAR JUST THE WAY SHE WANTED.....
425065_2825064671227_1397316465_32163293
SOOO we got a rear spoiler and started prepping it for paint
463980_2957258135981_1397316465_46864835
AND SHE PICKED OUT THE CARBON FIBER HOOD AND GRILLE
479473_3025067751179_1397316465_46904456
JUST BEFORE IT LEFT TO THE PAINT SHOP - trip spawned by the car being backed up into (look at the right front of the dented hood, and the indentations on the front of the bumper
475212_3077503822048_1397316465_46920486
AND THEN THE PAINT WAS DONE!!!!!
522773_3077097131881_1397316465_46920352
kinda cool... you can see the DDM HID's in this shot.

AND ONE HAPPY MOM!
she has the "HOT MOM" MOBILE.. and i have piece of mind

my six year old son took this picture (below)
462961_3077529022678_1397316465_46920535

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks pretty good... I like seeing girls get into cars when its not normally something they are into. Seems like a decent DD for her. If only my GF had a bit of money to get something different. We were looking for awhile, but prices and options ended up being limited so we stuck with what she already has. Something new in the near future though hopefully.

• Like 1

thanks. i knew my wife would like to see the responses, being that she has been the final decision on EVERY modification to her car, and the fact that her choice in the initial car was also ultimately hers too... i linked it to her facebook . hehe...

if it would could come in pink im sure she wouldnt have a problem rocking it.

------ we have a sticker set stuck on lock on ebay.. some fatlace, hellaflush, cannibeat stickers in pink, or we found a few good ones like ones that say "NOT sponsored by mommy and daddy" or "NOT drunk. AVOIDING potholes"... its all her call ultimately, just waiting on the green light, then ill pick them up.

Not sure if a mazda 3 is really a wagon... Most seem to call it a Hatchback... The protege 5 is most definitely a wagon...

to me a hatchback has 2 doors and a hatch and a goon has 4 doors and a hatch. But I see what you are saying but this is close enough to be a goon in my books

• Like 1

yeah. it is called a hatchback by mazda... but i think thats cause they didnt want to loose potential sales by calling it a wagon... idk... while i like "wagon's", its a relatively retro term... and not as safe of a bet for providing a sporty rep to a financially struggling company like mazda. id personally call a 3dr a hatch and a 5dr a wagon... but mazda didnt.

side note - we bought some white sparco mudflaps and when i went to install them, she said that she didnt know that i bought them for her car... what do you guys think about the look of mudflaps? they are white rally style mudflaps with the blue rectangle sparco logo (http://www.flat4motorsports.net/store/micro_Stores/SPARCO/sparco%20mud%20flaps.html) i guess if we dont use them on here, we can always use them on something else... but i think they would look good on here, so im ready to move forward with it whenever/if she is.

• Like 1

side note - we bought some white sparco mudflaps and when i went to install them, she said that she didnt know that i bought them for her car... what do you guys think about the look of mudflaps? they are white rally style mudflaps with the blue rectangle sparco logo (http://www.flat4moto...ud%20flaps.html) i guess if we dont use them on here, we can always use them on something else... but i think they would look good on here, so im ready to move forward with it whenever/if she is.

If you have to, get them in black so they aren't as noticeable. White is too (blinggy?) black is always a nice understated surprise to see. I take it that she isn't too hot on them if she said "Oh,....... I didn't know you bought those......." When my wife says that it means "Damn, I wish you had told me you were doing that so I could say no." Try them in black to match the car.

I moved this to the non Datsun cars forum.

....... we have a sticker set stuck on lock on ebay.. some fatlace, hellaflush, cannibeat stickers in pink, or we found a few good ones like ones that say "NOT sponsored by mommy and daddy" or "NOT drunk. AVOIDING potholes"... its all her call ultimately, just waiting on the green light, then ill pick them up.

.....uh.... no. After all the work to make it nice this, like the mud flaps, is going in the wrong direction. Remember, understatement is cool. Keeps them guessing. Stickers and mud flaps? They'll see you coming....

(ultimately it's your canvas to draw on.... just sayin')

If you have to, get them in black so they aren't as noticeable. White is too (blinggy?) black is always a nice understated surprise to see. I take it that she isn't too hot on them if she said "Oh,....... I didn't know you bought those......." When my wife says that it means "Damn, I wish you had told me you were doing that so I could say no." Try them in black to match the car.

I moved this to the non Datsun cars forum.

thanks for the move... i was with her when she read your post, and she started laughing. guess you nailed it... oh well, i guess ive got other vehicles that would look good with the sparco mudflaps being that we already got them... second choice would be the geo... (click the link below)

.....uh.... no. After all the work to make it nice this, like the mud flaps, is going in the wrong direction. Remember, understatement is cool. Keeps them guessing. Stickers and mud flaps? They'll see you coming....

(ultimately it's your canvas to draw on.... just sayin')

its all her call.. lol. the stickers are still on the watch list on ebay because we havnt made a decision on them... i found alot of diffrent stuff just to show her what she COULD do if she wanted. so its not like the stickers are the only things up there. haha.

Nice, always a fan of the 3, but always preferred my MS6 :-), seeing you are cali are you on the http://www.moccforums.com/forums/?

she had her heart set on the 3... but if it was gonna be a 3 it had to be a wagon... i wanted the speed, but it was a bit financially out of our grasp at the time... maybe in a few years we will sell the car and get the speed she and i both want...

• 1 month later...