Official 521 owner.....again.

Oregon_PLG222

Well after years of searching I found another 521 to replace the one I had when I was a kid. You can read more on the post in General topics called "Deflated today".

Here's the one I ended up with from my Dad when I was 18. (Ignore the goofy 70's looking kids in the foreground). This was in Lynwood, CA in 73. We moved from there to Orange County and then to Indiana and ended up in Michigan where I got the truck. The truck got scrapped (against my will) in 1990.

BillyBobbyThresaRice1972.jpg

Here's the one I got yesterday.

P1070736-1.jpg

P1070732.jpg

521RWR-1.jpg

It's got 78,000 original miles and a perfect body. I put some gas in it, a battery, plugs and wires, primed the fuel pump and she started right up and runs awesome.

The worst parts are the front windshield rubber and the rearview mirror is brittle and half missing. Otherwise, it's 99.99% complete and straight.

She's a beauty.

• Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess would be 69, as it has reflector lenses instead of side marker lights.

Nice truck, and it looks complete, 521 hubcaps and all.

Does it have a J or L block?

It has a manufacture date of 9/69 and sold as a 70 on the title. My original in the pic was a 70 and sold in 71. It has the L motor.

It has a manufacture date of 9/69 and sold as a 70 on the title. My original in the pic was a 70 and sold in 71. It has the L motor.

That's good for you that it has the L block, lot easier to get parts for, and there are easy upgrades for the L block.

My 69 had the J block, but it is a diesel now.

Lots of guys looking for them side reflectors, hide them at night. :lol:

Regarding how much it cost, I'll leave that undisclosed. But, suffice it to say I was insanely happy and thrilled and I almost stopped the truck/trailer on the way home a couple times just to get out and dance around like a fool.

I need to find a couple stock rims so I can get two cleaned up w/ new tires and then swap the others. I don't even have a spare at this time. Anybody know where I can get a couple around Southern Oregon or even up I-5?

She's up on jack stands today. All four wheels are at the shop getting blasted. Then, I'll paint them and slap on some original looking white walls. We washed it this weekend and then started polishing/buffing it with McGuires. OMG does it look amazing!!!! Other than the expected little chip (pinhead size) here and there it is almost perfect and the polish makes it glossy and shiny. I will be posting more pics when I finish polishing and get the tires on.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a picture of what the 521 front drum brakes should look like? When I bought this one they told me they had put new pad on it. The brakes were real soft and I had to pump them. They also pulled to the right. So, after I got it running decent re-did the wheels and put new tires on it, I took it to Les Schwab to look the brakes over. They said the pads were put on backward on on side on the front. I thought they said the passenger side. So, when I got it home I pulled the drum off and compared it with the repair manual which doesn't show a lot of detail. It looked O.K. So, I pulled the driver side off and it matched the passenger side.

I'm pretty sure I need to replace the master cylinder and re-do the wheel cylinders. But, I don't know if the pads are on wrong.

I should have taken a pic while I had the drums off.

Also, any suggestions regarding the purchase of a master cylinder and the wheel cylinder kits?

P1000138-1.jpg

Look like my wheel set up Cooper Tires on mine from Tires EZ.com cheap

I got my master and clutch and slave from Rock auto.com

get the 521 Beck Arnly slave cylinder this is a Japan made unit.

the masters are all Taiwan. Best to buy 2 of each as they dont last long. I got about a year out of my last brake master. It would pump up and not realse thus loking the breaks up.

I think I have a cast iron Doorman brand in there now. Beck Arnly.Rebestos ect are all taiwan.

ps THE THE THREADED RODS MOST TIMES ARE TOO LONG AND NEED TO BE CUT AS IT WILL PUSH THE PEDAK OUT TO FAR OR THE MASTER WITH BE PUSHED IN NOT RELASING,You see what I mean. You can adjust abit but most times its still to long and needs hacksawed off

wheels cylinders(japan/taiwan or mostly Italy made) Try to get Japan made. also they do not come with bleed screws even if they show on the photo. so PB Blaster those if you think your going to strip them before bleed ing the brakes.

Persobally if they dont leak dont replace them. Get a craftsman brake wrench set of at least 10/11/12mm

Now if brakes work they need to be adjusted at the bottom using the wheel tunbler/strewdriver set up. Move it down and it should tighten up. I think its in the haynes Manual on how to do this(510/521section)

Next take that tow rig off and lower that truck down!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the info.

Les Schwab did adjust the brakes a bit and bled them out. They are better but not great.

I want to get rid of the tow bracket. Unfortunately, they welded it to the frame. I need to get it cut off.

Sweet truck B) Great color on that model. Are you going to put the white stripe around like the one in the old pic?

Oh & BTW they are "shoes" not pads ;)

I'm not sure about the stripe yet. The current on is a bit elaborate and I'm thinking it is not stock. It has special detailing near the doors and on the front as well. It is old striping but I've never seen similar. Thanks for the correction on the "shoes".

new tires look great.

here's a pic of the front driver side.

DSC02398.jpg

Now I'm confused. Someone replied to my question on the "Brakes" forum and added pictures as well. They don't match. On this picture, the necked-down, portions of both shoes are at the bottom. In the other forum one of them is at the top and the other is at the bottom.

Doh! I would say mike is correct. he knows waaay more about brakes than me. and my haynes manual has them in opposite directions too. that's what i get for not reading instructions. sorry about that. that's how they were when i bought the truck so i assumed they were right.