Official 521 owner.....again.

Oregon_PLG222

Doh! I would say mike is correct. he knows waaay more about brakes than me. and my haynes manual has them in opposite directions too. that's what i get for not reading instructions. sorry about that. that's how they were when i bought the truck so i assumed they were right.

well im glad you checked that answered that question.
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the followups on the brakes. As of this morning, I can pop the drum of the other 521 that hit my yard. Yep, that's right. It's a bit of a fluke (or I'm just getting obsessed) but my Son found this 521 last night. It was only about 15 miles from the house and I went and picked it up today. Here it is getting loaded and then unloaded w/ the green one in the background. The red one was manufactured in 8/69 and the green one was in 9/69.

I was looking for parts but this thing runs. Someone put a weber on it. It needed a fuel pump (which I robbed from another motor). A new gas line/filter and voila'.............it starts and runs. A bit rough but in time I'll get it cleaned up.

0516121031a.jpg

0516121031c.jpg

0516121211.jpg

I'll post some pics once I wash it and polish it up w/ some McGuires. I did start it and it runs. It's not going to be a priority for now. I'm going to swap some of the good parts over to the green one. I already stole the rear view mirror and the dash knobs. I want to swipe the valve cover and get it cleaned up and then swap it.

I was actually looking for parts. I wanted to find a motor to rebuild to put into the green one. I will do that at some point. This summer I have to focus on building a garage. That way I have a place to work on them come rainy season. I'm really anxious to get the 1959 PLG222 into a garage where I can start playing w/ it. Apparently it ran when parked.

• 7 months later...

I ran across this additional pic the other day.  It's the tail end of the 521 we had when I was a kid in Socal.  My Dad hired this friend of his in Tuscon to build him a tandem axle gooseneck trailer for it.  This picture is when we picked it up.  Gotta love the plaid pants.  We used to use the trailer to haul hay and the like when we moved to Indiana.

We also had a huge (for a datsun) cab-over camper.  I haven't found a picture of that yet but will post when I do.

Datsunwithtrailer_zpsb6850b81.jpg