Akumazedex S30

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So for the first time since I got the car I took it out on the freeway. Kindu nervous at first but I got used to it a bit. Probably was a good 30mile round trip. And booyyy do the carbs need to be properly adjusted. I was getting a bit of surging at light throttle/cruising speeds. Also felt quiet underpowered, I did take it to 80 before the jello shocks scared me enough lol.

Need to do bearings and ball joints next, I'm pretty sure one of the rear bearings is shot, hear a reciprocating grinding noise, or the axle. Also the diff whines a bit but I'm not concerned with that lol the 280zx sounds like a race car.

Check for air leaks at the shaft, it may be whats causing your surging. They most def leak, they all do unless they sat on a shelf 20 years.

Tune slightly rich at idle to balance the air leak on throttle.

Pussy, su's are so easy lol its 2 screws. As you drive around without idling stop and check the #1 and #6 plugs if they are light richen if they are dark lean. Until there is just a dark ring at the 1st thread. Adjust your timing the same way, .35 gap and check the side diode, there will be a color change caused by heat somewhere on it, adjust the timing more more less to get it at the apex of the diode.

Its very easy. What happens if you need it adjusted int he future or if you want a different tune for different needs? Going to pay some every time to turn 2 little screws for you? Com on now man.....

Those fenders def got janky, dont let the ass kissing deter your correct instincts there haha. Its done at least, I have done it actually a few times, it doesnt get anymore fun....

I would adjust the carbs myself but I'm missing a flow meter to get the carbs balanced properly. The person who had them before me screwed it up so bad I had to start from "factory" settings. It's one thing to adjust the rich and lean but its another to get them balanced right, I know mine aren't lol.

Plus I'd rather learn from someone who knows what they're doin rather than trying to figure it out on my own.

My only excuse for the fenders is my lack of experience welding. But structurally theyre solis and nicely sealed so im not expecting any rust down the road. And I'm no paying a bodyshop to do it for me and take my car on joyrides lol. I'm not too concerned about it lookin pretty, since you can't even see the seam anyways, as long as it does its job.

This is very much a learning curve for me, the zx was easy compared to this. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

So what I thought were good rear brakes ended up being not do good, my left side wheel cylinder decided it Diddnt like the pressure of having to stop the car anymore and spilled its guts. Now I gotta get new wheel cylinders for the rear, not really that big of a deal but when money is tight it hurts paying $80 for a new set. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a good relay write up with diagram.

http://alteredz.com/Headlight_Relay_pg1.htm

I need to do mine soon. One of my switch wire in the column arced and I had to resolder it which was a real pita. Need brighter lights, think I'm just going to do a h4 and relay upgrade. I almost hit a deer a couple weeks ago on a dark road.