my new 66 pl411.... soon to be full racecar

i recently picked up a shell of a 66 pl411 from another member here and im going to be building it into a full racecar/drift car. ill be using my u20 i was gonna swap into my 67 sss. the plan is... full cage bumper to bumper, 1 maybe 2 race seats, 13x8 fronts and 13x10 rears but may go 14s. new suspension up front. irs in the rear. possibly setting the motor back a few more inches to make the car handle a lil better. it will be laid out. going to light weigth the whole car. removing the inner fenders up front and possibly the core support. tubing the hell out of the rear. possibly no trunk floor. no inner door skins. pretty much gonna cut out a bunch of metal or put speed holes in everything. lexan front and rear windows. no side glass, window regulators, or even window frames. just gonna run the lower half of the door. this car is gonna be wicked light and a lil over powered as any track car shood be. if anyone has any ideas im all ears.

b4 anyone goes all nuts on me for cutting up a 66 411 just know that this car was destined to be cut into peices and scraped and turned into wall art. so im technically saving it and giving it a second chance at life.

oics after my slow pc uploads em.......

IMG_03291.jpg

IMG_03301.jpg

IMG_03311.jpg

IMG_03341.jpg

IMG_03321.jpg

IMG_03351.jpg

IMG_03361.jpg

IMG_03371.jpg

IMG_03381.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

. this car is gonna be wicked light and a lil over powered as any track car shood be.

b4 anyone goes all nuts on me for cutting up a 66 411 just know that this car was destined to be cut into pieces and scraped and turned into wall art. so im technically saving it and giving it a second chance at life.

GRINCHSMILE.gif

i like this

• Like 1

Erich, since you are looking for an IRS why not look into the BMW 1600 through 2002 rear end? It's going to be tough anyway, why not shoot high? The track width should be good. The BMW "banjo" looks very close to the 510 and 240Z design and it surely can stand the horsepower. Good luck, with your machining skills it should be not easy but achievable.

well it wont be ur normal "pl411" drive train. a u20, 5 speed and irs... its gonna be a beast, or a wolf in wolves clothing (nofx reference of the day) i start stripping the rest of the car down friday afternoon. it will be a bare shell friday night, nothing left but doors, trunk lid, fenders and hood. no suspension, gastank, wiring, nothing. then the fun begins! there is a posibility of a 2 door conversion using a longer door so it looks correct.

And its these wheels.

carol.jpg

Arnt they sexy, brand new in the box, never touched the road, or a car. Im goign to be so anal as they put tires on them, one scuff they are going to have hell to pay, and good luck putting a price on these per rim because you cant find them anymore.

so ive been somewhat hard at work. i have all the suspension front and rear out. the exhaust and most of the dirt. i then proceeded to remove the inner fenders by poping the spot wleds so nothing cat "cut" so the integrity of everything is still intact. heres a few pics of where its at currently. i slid the u20 in just as a teaser. it will be set back pretty far in the fire wall. i also mocked up the 17s i have just to see how far i wanted tho get the tired out of the wheel opening since the car will be gettting zg or super zg flares on it... im thinking zg flares so i can go wide. ive decided the front will be strut and most certain the rear will be double wishbone/ upper-lower a-arms. heres the oics, sorry about some of them, my hands were shakey

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

so i went thru and ground down all the remnents of the spot welds and started takig the cowl vent apart since the motor is being set back in the firewall and im not a fan of just cutting shit out id rather remove the whole panel and make a new one that fits my application better. it makes things look cleaner. so heres where i stopped last night since i was making alot of noise and didnt wanna keep my neighbor up.

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

ill be doing some more tonight after i get a hood ready to ship

heres where we are at... firewall has been cut, trans tunnel removed in one peice. so now theres a big hole in the fire wall, figured out i have to cut a bunch more on the drivers side to clear the carbs and intake... you can see it in a few of the pics. i think the next thing ill be doing is removing the rear wheel houses so i can start setting it up for some wide rubber and a low stance. atm im just working on as much prep work and metal removal because i dont have any money to dump into parts and materials yet. maybe in a month i will and then it will start coming together. so without further ado.. oics!

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Epic build so far ...... ... really cool idea,,,, ,, .. what are your plans for front and rear suspension???

One thing to think about,, that stalled my project,,,, is to test fit a driver's seat before you do much more "mock up"

I just used a old Datsun seat,,,, but it really gave me an idea of how cramped it will be with the motor pushed back,, seat raised,, and foot well raised... not much room for foot pedals/steering

Epic build so far ...... ... really cool idea,,,, ,, .. what are your plans for front and rear suspension???

One thing to think about,, that stalled my project,,,, is to test fit a driver's seat before you do much more "mock up"

I just used a old Datsun seat,,,, but it really gave me an idea of how cramped it will be with the motor pushed back,, seat raised,, and foot well raised... not much room for foot pedals/steering

wont be an issue as the plan is to se the seat back a bit too. plus im only 5'8" so i sit pretty far forward to begin with.

I think I saw a 411 at foster 122nd pick and pull on Saturday, looked like it had everything their too.

Might be a good source for parts

i dont really need any parts cept a dash clock. this build is a strip job. as light as possible. full racecar.