Jordan's Fully Caged, Flared, Tubbed 72 SR 510

510 OC

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a good design.  :thumbup:

So over the past few days i've been focusing on finally patching up the transmission tunnel. Got hacked up when the previous owner tried to stuff a RB25 into it.  :blink:  Luckily i had an extra tunnel from when i parted out a 510 awhile ago so score!  

photo1-3_zps3fd59100.jpg

photo2_zps1cfd2a50.jpg

photo1_zps55a35265.jpg

photo2-2_zpsfb933b93.jpg

photo1-2_zpscc64325d.jpg

photo2-3_zps646d7774.jpg

This is as far as i got today.. Tunnel is tacked in. 

• Like 4

All true Q-tip, but you have to admit, despite it's shortcomings the stock 510's STA rear suspension has, it's still holding its own after 40 years. Hell the BMW M3 still rocks a STA, That being said, I too have been longing for better performance and greater adjustability. 

Here's an idea I've thrown around for a while.

Linkage.png

Kind of a live trailing arm with one big spherical joint at the X-member and active camber control arms at the hub. I realize the geometry would require some engineering, but...

Are you familiar with the BMW E36 rear suspension?

8865-new_2008-03-09-susp13a_zpsc1b96f08.

225_zps8047faa2.png

8865-new_2008-03-09-m3suspension_zpsc088

• Like 1

Are you familiar with the BMW E36 rear suspension?

Yeah, totally different ball of wax though, and WAY over my head. I was hoping to keep it simple by using the 510's existing anchor points at the X-member and mustache bar. To be honest, building it would be the easy part, getting the geometry right would be a massive engineering job. Far beyond my skill level, but I'm studying. 

Hey Jordan, Hope you don't mind me pirating your thread a bit with this suspension shit, but I thought you might have some interesting ideas floating around. Nudge nudge.

Yeah, totally different ball of wax though, and WAY over my head. I was hoping to keep it simple by using the 510's existing anchor points at the X-member and mustache bar. To be honest, building it would be the easy part, getting the geometry right would be a massive engineering job. Far beyond my skill level, but I'm studying. 

Hey Jordan, Hope you don't mind me pirating your thread a bit with this suspension shit, but I thought you might have some interesting ideas floating around. Nudge nudge.

Yeah, i do have a few ideas floating around that i might try in the feature. Probably would involve ditching the stock rear crossmember and going with a tubular one. But like you said, getting the geometry right is a big hurdle. 

How did you make these? Any more pictures of these gussets? I just found this and I am loving it!

Thanks, appreciate it! I honestly have know clue..  :confused:  

I know that my cage guy put a lot of time into making these one off gussets. If you're interested in having some made i can get you in contact with the fabricator, just PM me. 

Yeah, i do have a few ideas floating around that i might try in the feature. Probably would involve ditching the stock rear crossmember and going with a tubular one. But like you said, getting the geometry right is a big hurdle.

Don't forget the diff mounts to the rear cross member, I don't think it would be too horrible of engineering work to get it right. I think finding the right hub assembly would be the hard part.

• Like 1

OC, I don't know how finished you plan on doing your interior, but it would be a shame to cover all the beautiful metal work, Aside from sound dampening the floor and firewall, it would be cool to keep some of that stuff bare and visible. I would rather see mInd blowing craftsmanship that a pretty cover any day. Funny, I feel very much the same way about women. 

Looking forward to seeing the rest man. 

• Like 2

OC, I don't know how finished you plan on doing your interior, but it would be a shame to cover all the beautiful metal work, Aside from sound dampening the floor and firewall, it would be cool to keep some of that stuff bare and visible. I would rather see mInd blowing craftsmanship that a pretty cover any day. Funny, I feel very much the same way about women. 

Yes, i agree and i'm pretty sure a lot would also agree that less is more.  ;)

......x2

• 2 weeks later...

jesus fuck! those welds man, puts this thing on a whole other level than 99% of the stuff on here, im tempted to say all of it. im going to have to get my self a 510 for the next go at things with a good welder.

Appreciate it and you should! Btw your 620 build is looking proper, keep up the good work. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...