PB Blaster, how I love thee

A mechanic friend of mine recommended this stuff called PB Blaster. Had never heard of it. Although, I don't know why, I've been wrenching on rusty junk my whole life. I've just always used WD-40. Then, behold, along came PB. I was working on my brakes and the bleeders are all seized up and I'd broken one off before on my Volvo, so I thought I would give ol' PB a try.

Worked like a charm. I just put a little on every tie I would walk by and today, it broke loose without too much concern. Of course, I had already semi-rounded the nipple prior to hearing of PB, but I have new ones to go in.

brake_bleeder.jpg

And, before anyone mentions it, I know, I should have purchased the wheel cylinder kit that came with the new banjo and bleeder... Lesson learned.

I've already got the nuts on my torsion bars soaking for a little re-indexing soon! Stay tuned.

1968_520_sm.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped using WD years ago after I found out about PB. The only thing I use WD for now is for spraying on fresh metal to keep from rusting. WD40 has not been pleased, I think they've lost a big market share to PB because it works a metric fuckton better on rusted crap.

Its ok. Kroil oil is the best i have ever used. Its hard to find but its the best IMO. It's in a orange can

So im on the site looking at a few different types ,,,do you guys mean the straight up stuff ??..... not the stuff with silicone or graphite in it.??

link... http://www.kanolabs.com/penLub.html

So im on the site looking at a few different types ,,,do you guys mean the straight up stuff ??..... not the stuff with silicone or graphite in it.??

link... http://www.kanolabs.com/penLub.html

Thats the stuff right there that shit is awesome,its hard to use anything else after you use it

• Like 1

I've been using PB for a long time. definately better that WD( water displacement 40th attempt) I thought it was funny that the can says "as seen on TV" but I never saw it on TV. Has anyone?

Ill throw this out there, has anyone ever used brake fluid? I have been using straight brake fluid for over a year now and I usually leave the can of pb sitting on the bench.

Of course you need to use caution around painted surfaces but suspension,brakes,exh.

I feel it penetrates quicker and clings better than other products. I take a the lid off a gear oil bottle and put a hose on it to squirt over my head.

Next time you are in a pinch try it and see how it works.

$0.02

If some people cant find any kroil in stores let me know, my bolt supplier carries it and i can get and send out

I'm going to be in your area next week end and would like to pickup a can, how much. thanks

I personally dont like pb blaster cause of the smell. One whif and you have cancer. But yeah I have pb and liquid wrench and wd-40.

Has anyone ever tried rust buster? Its used in the appliance world and I'm going to pick some up from work and give it a try. Gotta love the telescoping spout.

MO44.jpg

• 1 month later...

The informations was sent via the early datsun club. I thought I would share on here.

RUSTED BOLTS

For those of you that are using Kroil which is good, there is a better solution.

Machinist's Workshop (2007/04) magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker. The magazine arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a" scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil Average load

None 516 pounds

WD-40 238 pounds

PB Blaster 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench 127 pounds

Kano Kroil 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix 53 pounds

N.B. The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Several of our members have tried it and swear by it. <

----------------------------------------

I haven't tried this yet, but the GMC Motorhome folk are generally pretty reliable for their tips (afaik).