Jacobs electronic ignition box?

Hey guys...just wondering...

I have a 72 510 with an L20b converted over to electronic ignition...anyway, I have a Jacobs Electronic Ignition box, and I was wondering if it'd be worth it to use it.

Its similar to the MSD boxes, just a different company. But, would it be a worthy upgrade? Or just more work wiring it in then it'd be worth?

Looks simple, coil +/-, battery +/-, ign switch, alt +/-, distributor, and there's even a lead for the tach.

But...should I? Or just keep it for something else?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys...just wondering...

I have a 72 510 with an L20b converted over to electronic ignition...anyway, I have a Jacobs Electronic Ignition box, and I was wondering if it'd be worth it to use it.

Its similar to the MSD boxes, just a different company. But, would it be a worthy upgrade? Or just more work wiring it in then it'd be worth?

Looks simple, coil +/-, battery +/-, ign switch, alt +/-, distributor, and there's even a lead for the tach.

But...should I? Or just keep it for something else?

Just cuz you've got EI doesn't mean it's running at it's best! I've been a fan and supporter of Jacobs electronics before most members here were anything more than a twinkle in their daddy's eye. Dr. Christopher Jacobs holds a PHD in electrical engineering, and was involved with the development of the variable rate cardio pacemaker. I HIGHLY recommend his book, "The Doctor's step-by-step guide to Optimizing Your Ignition"~! ISBN #0965085600 But in my praise I digress...

There's not that much to wiring it in, so.... If it only gets you 1hp is it worth it? How about 1% fuel mileage gain? Guarantee if you spend the time it'll be worth the dime! You could, and should, spend the time to do before/after testing of performance/economy of this and any mod you make~ and his book shows you how without the expense of a dyno. All you'll need is a clipboard, a pocket calculator, and a stopwatch~ but a copilot would help....

Nothing personal Hainz, but you can't see under the hood goin down the road~ what you can see is the gas gauge~! I say give it a try....

What model ignition box is it?

Peace~

Scott

If you already have EI you're doing fine. For 1 hp and zero mileage increase I wouldn't spent the time. If you have to buy this thing I definitely would not bother. I assume you have a Nissan EI system?? Trust he factory set up.

If you already have the other unit, go ahead and see if it runs better or is just a placebo effect.

I already have it...I've had it awhile...lol Got the whole setup out of the junkyard off of a hot rod Geo Metro...hahaha. Thing had exhaust, cold air intake, and this ignition box and a big jacobs coil (thats on the 510 now :) )

But...its a mileage master box...big ol' blue thing...lol

I might give it a try, I'll just wait to get the car actually going down the road before I bother, that way I can do the before/after test. And, I'm not too worried about wiring, I could pair it up with the stock stuff, probably wouldn't be anymore messy.

And, I have a matchbox dizzy, but the module was missing, so, I'm using a GM HEI module on it. Seems to work ok. Now, this box goes in parallel with the HEI module, correct? Or does this do away with it? I'm not real sure of they're function, just that these give a hotter spark.

Also, I have heard good things about Jacobs...I've actually heard of a lot of people recommending them over MSD because MSD boxes can apparently be....unreliable.

I have this exact setup right here...

3712851.jpg

Just because you have it doesnt mean you you have USE it.

Persoanlly the stock Bissan set up are more than enough.

This is only a L motor. Come on.

People offer me MSD Boxes and I tell them to keep it.

I can tell your a young guy more worried about the Bling in cool looking parts.

I run the Cheap 75 dollar Pertronix and was the best 75 dollars and look stock and clean under the hood. You seen the massive wire jobs on some car and it just devalues a already 300$ car.

I vote dont do it.

Find a Matchbox when avail and route the 2 wires to the coil nice wrapped up in tape and call it good

I think the weight of the coil made you loose HP

Just because you have it doesnt mean you you have USE it.

Persoanlly the stock Bissan set up are more than enough.

This is only a L motor. Come on.

People offer me MSD Boxes and I tell them to keep it.

I can tell your a young guy more worried about the Bling in cool looking parts.

I run the Cheap 75 dollar Pertronix and was the best 75 dollars and look stock and clean under the hood. You seen the massive wire jobs on some car and it just devalues a already 300$ car.

I vote dont do it.

Find a Matchbox when avail and route the 2 wires to the coil nice wrapped up in tape and call it good

I think the weight of the coil made you loose HP

I know I don't have to use it...just figured since I had it...lol Only paid $20 and I see these going for around $100 or so used. And yeah, not sure how long I'll be able to stick with the l-series :/ I've yet to drive it, but, the lack of power will get to me. Just figured if it would help any.

Also, I am young, but, bling under the hood isn't my thing...in all honesty, I'd probably paint the box black and hide it somewhere...lol

And, I do want to get a matchbox, I don't like the HEI thing, but, for now, it works, til I get to the yard and find one.

As far as the coil...I was told not to use the original coil without a ballast resistor as it wasn't meant to see a full 12v, and having seen a coil blow up before, I wasn't going to chance it... and, this was the only electronic ign coil I had, so, I robbed it off my Omni and threw it in there. I'd like to get a period correct look Accel for it, but, til then, this'll do.

Just cuz you've got EI doesn't mean it's running at it's best! I've been a fan and supporter of Jacobs electronics before most members here were anything more than a twinkle in their daddy's eye. Dr. Christopher Jacobs holds a PHD in electrical engineering, and was involved with the development of the variable rate cardio pacemaker. I HIGHLY recommend his book, "The Doctor's step-by-step guide to Optimizing Your Ignition"~! ISBN #0965085600 But in my praise I digress...

There's not that much to wiring it in, so.... If it only gets you 1hp is it worth it? How about 1% fuel mileage gain? Guarantee if you spend the time it'll be worth the dime! You could, and should, spend the time to do before/after testing of performance/economy of this and any mod you make~ and his book shows you how without the expense of a dyno. All you'll need is a clipboard, a pocket calculator, and a stopwatch~ but a copilot would help....

Nothing personal Hainz, but you can't see under the hood goin down the road~ what you can see is the gas gauge~! I say give it a try....

What model ignition box is it?

Peace~

Scott

I read his book many years ago. Pretty amazing guy. If I remember correctly, he had nothing nice to say about Datsun EI, or MSD.

Wasn't his dyno replacment a whistle and a tape recorder?

I have known people that had MSD stuff die on them. I have never ran the Jacobs box, but have run his wires. I would run it for the rev limiter if for nothing else. Cant hurt to try it. Put it on and report back.

was told not to use the original coil without a ballast resistor as it wasn't meant to see a full 12v

TRUE.

serorusly dont be just grabbing parts and installing them . All coil will work but in conjustion with the right parts. Ballast resisitors and how the wire is routed( Bypass or soemtime called the Hot start wire.

PS if you dont have at least 5k for a motor swap and 5 k $ for medical or emergency fund as Suzie orman says best to just keep the L motor.

Ratsun is too save Datsuns but lately ALOT are lost do to NO CASH , My wife left, I broke my leg (no insurance) ect....

Jacobs makes good stuff but not really neede on a L motor in my opinion . There turbo retard timming stuff work really well I hear

• Like 1

OH I just lost my job and my girl got pregnant is another good .

get a matchbox after 7k rmp its best to go crank fire ignition. alot of slop int L series timming

I lolled cuz my wife did leave me, so i sold my green wagon to Rustina :poke:

I already have it...I've had it awhile...lol Got the whole setup out of the junkyard off of a hot rod Geo Metro...hahaha. Thing had exhaust, cold air intake, and this ignition box and a big jacobs coil (thats on the 510 now :) )

But...its a mileage master box...big ol' blue thing...lol

I might give it a try, I'll just wait to get the car actually going down the road before I bother, that way I can do the before/after test. And, I'm not too worried about wiring, I could pair it up with the stock stuff, probably wouldn't be anymore messy.

And, I have a matchbox dizzy, but the module was missing, so, I'm using a GM HEI module on it. Seems to work ok. Now, this box goes in parallel with the HEI module, correct? Or does this do away with it? I'm not real sure of they're function, just that these give a hotter spark.

Also, I have heard good things about Jacobs...I've actually heard of a lot of people recommending them over MSD because MSD boxes can apparently be....unreliable.

I have this exact setup right here...

3712851.jpg

The Mileage Master/Ultra Coil is a great combo~ and in my opinion going with the GM module's a wise choice. After all~ if the CARma gods spank you, you can buy the GM module on Christmas day anywhere on the planet for beer money~ can't do that with a matchbox...

I recently replaced my hard drive ~ so I've got to reload (read that find) my scanner hardware, then I can send you a few of the pertinent pages in the book if you like. There's just so much info in there...:blink: I know you're gonna want the book!

When i put on my MSD CDI ignition box and coil on my A15, I saw a pretty great increase in it's reliability. It ran a lot smoother at mid to high RPM's over the stock stuff. It wasn't an intense increase, but I think it was worth the money I spent on it.

Been considering improving my ignition on my L20B now. I love MSD products and I think that if Jacobs are as good as I'm told, they far surpass MSD.

I've been told that I would have to get a MSD because the motor isn't burning the fuel right. You could smell fuel out the exaust pipe up the ying yang. Would that really get rid of it or would that be something related with the carb and how much gas its putting out?

I vote you buy a Datsun with an L20b and points ignition, and put it in that. Then, you will be able to compare the two and report to us with hard evidence the difference between the systems. And you will own another Datsun. Win.

:)

I've been told that I would have to get a MSD because the motor isn't burning the fuel right. You could smell fuel out the exaust pipe up the ying yang. Would that really get rid of it or would that be something related with the carb and how much gas its putting out?

False.

If you can smell fuel in the exhaust, sounds like it's over jetted. It's not likely to be ignition related, especially if the car's running okay now.

MSD is great, but won't make a HUGE difference burning off excess fuel.

Although I will say this: my A15 burned more oil then gas, and after the MSD upgrade I never had oil fouled plugs again.

False.

If you can smell fuel in the exhaust, sounds like it's over jetted. It's not likely to be ignition related, especially if the car's running okay now.

MSD is great, but won't make a HUGE difference burning off excess fuel.

Although I will say this: my A15 burned more oil then gas, and after the MSD upgrade I never had oil fouled plugs again.

You do know your 2nd & 3rd statements completely contradict each other?

All things being equal,any CD will not add HP.But the MSD 6AL will clean up idle issues if you have any and the rev-limiter is the cheapest insurance going.

As far as Jacobs goes,i wouldn't put one on a Briggs & Stratton.I've been running MSD for 25+ years and have had no issues.Their customer service is a industry model.

• 9 months later...

This is Vicdat (sorry to hjijack your computer, Brad),

Eons ago I successfully built the old Velleman Electronic Ignition Kit. These were a fun and fast project and made a significant improvement on my '73 610 2 door (L Series) For like $20 bucks (probably more now) and a cheap enclosure it got rid of all of the little ignition gremlins I had since the dawn of time...smoothger idle, better response, run cooler...I'm not shittin' ...the set I made worked like a champ. If one of youse guys are nutz enough to investigate and make one I suugest you also get two sets of standard 4 wire trailer connectors and mount it inside up on the kickplate in a small plastic box...(William-zero might still have my old one?) Anyway it was a lot cheaper than Pertronix. This system is really primitive and utilizes the stock points instead of a reluctor so they never get hot and last daaam near forever...no condensor needed too.  Keep in mind these were not specific for Datsuns or any other car...they were universal for any engine from a lawn mower to a V-12.I heard a lot of old Harley guys used themback in the day.

> The Mileage Master/Ultra Coil is a great combo~ and in my opinion going with the GM module's a wise choice.

Well then, it's settled. He already has the GM module ignition.

> After all~ if the CARma gods spank you, you can buy the GM module on Christmas day anywhere on the planet for beer money~ can't do that with a matchbox...

If you have a matchbox, you won't need a replacement. I've yet to hear of one going bad that stranded a single person.