Olivia - 69 2 door 510 sedan - fully built CA18DET

Indeed sir! It was missing the fire ring in the external wastegate back then.

I finished installing/bleeding the clutch line and some other minor stuff. Going to put a slight angle to the exhaust so i can put it back on, then just bleed the brakes when my GF gets home and do some testing to make sure nothing is going to break when i go for it's maiden voyage (again). Should sound different because the turbo has a 3" exit and the old turbo had a 2" exit. I'm hoping it sounds like a JGTC car :D

Other than that I'll spend the rest of the day cleaning up wiring, tuning and trying to smooth out the rear flares so I can primer them. Sunday funday!!!!

I really want to drive this to work tomorrow to show my coworkers... they're really into cars as well :D

• Like 2
  • Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn... i didn't measure the angle right so I have to cut the exhaust to trim a little more before i can drive it. It was too hot to work on it mid day so I wasn't able to finish. Whatever... did a lot and it's very close so I'm happy

Lets see... I got the exhaust done and brake lines bled. I started doing some tuning as well but it's going to be a while. It will idle but the transient throttle table is totally messed up because of the new injector dead times. I also need to attach the brake light switch and clean up wiring. Slow and steady i guess.

Piece of advice if you're going to do a swapped 510. Get everything else done before you swap the engine. That way you can drive it and enjoy it while you piece together the motor. You never know how life will get in your way. At the beginning i had budgeted a certain amount out of every paycheck and planned things out so I thought iwas looking at about 1 year to finish the whole thing.... all kinds of stuff happened LOL.

Anyway, I'm either finishing fixing the gauge cluster on the 521this weekend or spending some more time on this. Pretty sure I ran out of gas while adjusting the fuel map the other day... so I need to bring gas home. I'll have a friend over so he may help be my eyes while I do some more tuning. 

• Like 2

Piece of advice if you're going to do a swapped 510. Get everything else done before you swap the engine. That way you can drive it and enjoy it while you piece together the motor. You never know how life will get in your way. At the beginning i had budgeted a certain amount out of every paycheck and planned things out so I thought iwas looking at about 1 year to finish the whole thing.... all kinds of stuff happened LOL.

Amen Brother, you know I can attest to that!

I planned on no more than a year and all kinds of things reared their ugly heads.

Life happens no mater how hard or meticulous you plan.

I'm going on over 2 years now and I am still saying "Hopefully I'll be done in acouple months." LOLOL

But on the reals, I'll be done in about 2 months... Hahaha

Scroll back and look at another picture of my engine bay before. I cut about 50 wires out so now I just have the ignitor and resistor pack in the engine bay :)

10518633_10203523819687707_6625910403114

I mounted the haltech and a grounding strip to the glove box door (it's just double sided tape) and tucked all the wires. Still need to build a bracket and mount it to the firewall at some point so it's out of the way... but this works as a long term temporary solution.

10489750_10203523820607730_7072649941742

Got the dash all hooked up and almost all the wires tucked and cleaned up. Most of the harness I don't need is chopped out.

10563076_10203523819727708_1704834970483

I love having working gauges!

10550997_10203523819807710_2070607898949

I also finished the bracket that mounts the pedal assembly to the firewall.. forgot to take a picture of that. So all was going GREAT until.... i started tuning. This is not related to fuel or ignition, but i started noticing a strange sound while the car was idling. Sounded like something would rub for a split second, then go away. I was like ok... maybe it's just air in a lifter. Then i heard a nice big KLACK KLACK KLACK which immediately went away. Then the AFRs went all screwy and the car idled up to 2000rpm... I did a compression test to make sure I didn't put a hole in a piston and it was consistent.

120psi across the board... which is 20psi lower than it should be. I'm taking bets on the outcome.

Option A) timing belt slipped and i have some valve interference

Option B) Rod knock

Option C) Valve train shit such as a stuck valve

Drop a comment below and let me know what you think. I'll update the thread later this week when I can get around to finding the issue.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh man, i found some random pictures and video of the 510 i forgot about that i'll probably put up later when i get off work. Also, i should be finishing up this thing for work so ill have time again! That means I can work on the car this weekend :D

It's hard to believe it's only been 2 1/2 weeks since the bullshit happened. The first thing I'm going to do is change the oil and see if there are any metal shavings. Then change the oil with some Mobil 1 synthetic. Then turn the motor by hand to see if I can feel something impeding the engine rotating. If I do, I'm going to pull the radiator, intercooler and timing cover off to re-check the timing... Anyway, just talking shit since i haven't looked at or done anything to it.

Found two small metal flakes in the oil. The oil smelled like straight gasoline so I swapped it with Mobil 1 - might as well use something better than Royal Purple (Fuck... should have listened to John!).

Anyway. EXTREMELY loud knock from intake side of the car every few rotations. I'm 99% sure it's rod knock. I'm just going to put a KA in while I rebuild this unless someone has an L20 they want to sell me :D

Should have listened to Nicoclub about the ACL race bearings delaminating. If I would have listened to them in the first place, I would never have had the head gasket issues and presumably never would have had this issue with the bearings. Pretty tired of this whole situation. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

WTFUUUUUUUU?

No way dude. Don't do it.

Sorry your having so much trouble with it. I pray I don't have too much trouble with mine. It's at the shop now and they are priming and cranking it to see if it builds up oil pressure and it doesn't want to yet.

Kind of scaring me. It's been sitting for a year :/

• 3 months later...

Gonna put another craigslist up at some point, but I'm 99% sure moving and I won't be able to take my cars with me. 510 as is w/all my tools, mig welder, all other welding equipment, 50 trim turbo, a couple other sets of injectors, extra heads & engine parts for $10k. Figured i'd just mention it here first.

Also for sale:

2008 Lotus Exige Roadster S

65 Mustang (engine is out but was running) w/ Mustang II front end and 4 wheel disc brakes. It's not all together so would need to be towed. I will put it all back together stock if required.

Potentially for sale:

2013 BMW M3 w/Frozen White paint (looking for someone to take over payments)

Send me a PM if interested.

Talking through an offer for a job in Hawaii. It's not that it's expensive to transport them (just a little over $1,000), it's that it's insanely expensive to have somewhere to put them. Chances are I'll end up renting an apartment with 1 parking spot. Nowhere to put the other cars. I have 5 cars right now and if we go, we'll only be taking one. We owe the most on the M3, it's automatic so my fiance can drive it, and it's got 4 seats. Most likely taking that one. I don't want to sell it but this is a dream of mine for a long time. Besides, I don't have enough time taking care of family & working to actually devote much time if any to it. Maybe the next guy can fix all the shortcuts I took with the car and build something really killer.

Ugh... maybe I'll just put it in storage. After cleaning the garage out yesterday and looking at the car, there's not that much to be done to it. It's just about time. I may hit up a friend on Costa Mesa and drop the car off to him and say fix it, then send me the bill. Who knows.... so many things swirling around in my head it's hard to nail it all down.

• Like 2