Olivia - 69 2 door 510 sedan - fully built CA18DET

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I've actually taken it a couple times but no datsuns were ever there. I think i was going too late. I have a couple things I need to finish to be able to drive it in a non-dangerous fashion LOL. 

• Adjust the brake pedal's play
  • Raise the transmission - via the mount
  • Get a new idler arm & bushing
  • Get/make a gas tank filler neck so it doesn't leak in the trunk when i fill up at the gas station and i don't have to fill it up in the trunk...... :(

Those are the important ones. I would REALLY like to finish up the rear flares now that I have the car back. I see you're in LB. I think i saw your car on palo verde & spring a few months back when I was getting coffee.

Yes. I've actually taken it a couple times but no datsuns were ever there. I think i was going too late. I have a couple things I need to finish to be able to drive it in a non-dangerous fashion LOL. 

• Adjust the brake pedal's play
  • Raise the transmission - via the mount
  • Get a new idler arm & bushing
  • Get/make a gas tank filler neck so it doesn't leak in the trunk when i fill up at the gas station and i don't have to fill it up in the trunk...... :(
Those are the important ones. I would REALLY like to finish up the rear flares now that I have the car back. I see you're in LB. I think i saw your car on palo verde & spring a few months back when I was getting coffee.
O ok cool I hardly ever see Datsuns there but plan on going and want to see who else is down to go with our dimes.... it probably wasn't my dime she's been put away up until last week, getting my motor rebuilt at the moment and I hope its done sometime next week.

ha ha ha. All I need to do is raise the transmission mount up a bit and I will be happy with the exhaust not rattling against the driveshaft. It's loud.

Yea I heard it in your tease of a video lol, well I hope to meet a bunch of local 510 guys soon once im running and hopefully setup a nice meet/cruise like the folks up north do

I'd be down. I know plenty of fun places to drive. I used to ride my motorcycle out to palos verdes and follow the coast up to redondo beach every sunday. That's a great drive with a beautiful view and some twisty areas. Only trouble is you usually get stuck behind some ass hat driving 20mph at some point.

I wish i could upload a longer video, but none of the driving is very interesting. It's all me driving normally. I don't drive fast most of the time, I just accelerate fast onto freeway onramps or i'll take turns fast. I try not to drive like an asshole on the streets (most of the time).

• Like 1

Dude, my buddy up here is developing a filler tube. Aluminum one that uses your outer nozzle ring

and comes with all the hardware, gaskets and rubber coupler.

He has made a jig and is img the process of test fitting to get the jig right.

Not sure what the price point is but they are cool ass multi section welded goodness....

• Like 2

Nice! Let me know how that goes. I need one soon, so idk if that will work for me necessarily but I'm interested!

Also, I just got off the phone with DP Racing and will likely be heading over during lunch to pick up an idler arm bushing kit. Pretty excited to go to their shop!

Jacked the car up and realized that the rear crossmember is wrinkled on the driver side. Looks like it was pushed in. Probably from the original accident that made it salvaged. I never saw that before. I'm sort of bummed. Oh well, gonna just continue working on my stuff and work on that when I get to it. 

Yes, I have a stock 510 tank. I didn't update this when i ran into issues over the weekend but long story short is I am done trying to make things work just because i have them. The transmission mount sucks balls and needs to go. I'm ordering a mckinney motorsports trans mount or possibly an entire Mad Dat "fitting kit" because the cost of getting a trans mount & sway bar is damn near the cost of just buying the mad dat kit which includes the sway bar. 

Then there's the brakes. The brake line got messed up when I was lowering the trans. I'm going to re-run the brake lines in a different spot where it won't interfere with the trans... what else...

Oh yeah. Might as well start removing paint and cleaning things then primering the car. There's so much bondo. Erich found the damage that made the car salvaged as well. Not to mention the rear cross member is bent LOL. So I might as well co adjustable in the rear. 

So yeah. Sit back and get comfortable... it's going to be a long damn ride before I finish this.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the kind words.

I'm pretty much ok with all this, the timing is poor though. I had fun driving it home. That was a blast. I know i'll be able to put it all together better than it is now. Might as well start on that.

• Like 1

Hey Bisquit I may have an xmember or they are around cheap ! ,also if you need new hardline ,I have a couple made in my rafters here ,you need a truck to get home like 8ft. long and just make trans x member not that hard , I have a guy starting here soon so I am doing bodywork only soon ,I will send a pm maybe we can talk about getting street worthy again.

Bought a mcKinney transmission mount because it's adjustable. Should have that soon. I'm switching to a new company, so I'll be busy for a while. I may pull the engine and transmission out to re-do the brake lines and sand/paint the engine bay. I'm undecided on that aspect as it's easy to pull the motor/trans down the road and do the same. We'll see.