Olivia - 69 2 door 510 sedan - fully built CA18DET

Assuming you are using a stock ECU, basically you need all of them. Just go to the junk yard and pick up another wiring harness for $20 or whatever. It's cheap and there's that piece of mind that comes with knowing 100% for sure it just works. You don't want to have to sit around spending days/hours/weeks figuring out the whole harness + doing continuity tests on the 100 or so wires.

$20 on a CA18DET harness at a wrecking yard..

Facepalm-GIFS-1.gif

tumblr_lnvvueuSsj1qcj56b.png

• Like 4
  • Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you didn't know you can use a KA harness then?

Yeah, because that would require far less modification than splicing a stock one back together  :rofl:  ...again, you've got to be joking.

It seems you have more research to do.

I fully agree. Care to put me in contact with whomever is doing your wiring for you? I'd like to redirect my questions toward someone who knows what they're talking about.

The harness is EXACTLY the same except the KA doesn't have a knock sensor. I'm using an S13 USDM harness. Sooooo... if you don't like the answers to questions, ask someone else instead of being a dick head about it.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/ka24de-to-ca18det-wiring-harness-t316842.html

In this thread they point out that all you have to do is connect the same 4 or 5 power wires as the SR, then plug the CA into the KA24 wiring harness.

• Like 1

And for the record you cannot disconnect some of the wires you are talking about as they are required for normal operation. 58 for example. The drop resistor is used to control the opening/closing of your injectors.

I wired my car by sitting down and looking at the wiring harness diagram in the back of the S13 FSM for the CA18DET. You can find/download the FSM by using google to search. This exact topic has been covered to death all over every nissan forum. Use the search button on nicoclub or zilvia and you'll find it.

• Like 2

:lol:

There are many differences. For one, the CA18DET has a distributorless ignition system, unlike ANY of the KA engines.

The KA wiring schematic shows 6 "distributor/crank angle sensor" wires. The CA only has 4.

You mentioned the knock sensor in the CA18DET; another one of the differences that makes it not exactly like a KA harness.

Another is that the KA has one coil, and the CA has 4 independent coil-on-plugs, along with a separate harness that goes to these 4. If I'm understanding you, you're telling me that the KA harness has a spare connector(perhaps the connector that goes to the single coil?) that I can plug this coil harness into and instantly it will power all 4 ignition coils, and ground them at the appropriate times that they need it?

Along with that, the plug that goes into the distributor(I'm assuming), will just plug right into the CAS at the front of the CA? This doesn't seem right..

What about the Boost Pressure Control Solenoid circuit? Is that just a spare, unused circuit on the KA harness?

Aside from the above, they're not exactly the same, because if you put the two ECU plugs side by side, the wiring doesn't match up. Are you proposing that I dig the KA ECU plug apart and plug each wire into a different terminal in order to make it work with a CA? It's just not adding up, at all. You're using a USDM S13 harness? Is that a KADE harness? They don't even kind of look similar.

S13 CA18DET

yhst-95312210440221_2267_27008202.gif

S13 KA24DE

s13-ka24de-engine-harness-9.gif

Call me names if you want, but I have done plenty of research. I've been over to nicoclub(as well as zilvia, club-s12, and others), talking with several of the guys that are the "go-to"'s in their CA communities they have there. None, not ONE of them has recommended using a KA harness in light of my CA harness misfortune; I believe that if it were as elementary and commonplace as you're suggesting, then at least ONE result in a google search would have turned something up.

I'm really not sure what that link was supposed to be to(a plug for wiringspecialties.com?), but it says nothing about a KA harness being the same as a CA harness. I've been directed to wiringspecialties.com, but before I bite the bullet and buy one of those, I'd like to do what I can with what I have. Nothing in those 3 posts provided any information about what you're proposing.. unless I'm not reading between the lines enough.

And for the record you cannot disconnect some of the wires you are talking about as they are required for normal operation. 58 for example. The drop resistor is used to control the opening/closing of your injectors.

Thank you. This was exactly the kind of answer I was asking for to begin with ;)

And just to be perfectly, crystal clear, I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to be wrong. I have a couple KA24DE harnesses at my disposal, and if I were incorrect in this instance, it would make my day, no.. MONTH. I've searched high and low for a solution to the botched swap removal that I was sold by the PO. Please prove to me how and in what ways I am incorrect. I would love nothing more.

I have a haltech so I'm only using the wiring harness for circuits required to run the engine and I'm not even using all of those because I use a MAP and IAT sensor combination instead of a MAF. 

OK, perhaps this will help you then?

http://forums.nicoclub.com/link-to-the-fsm-and-wiring-info-t114956.html

How to use the KA24E/DE lower harness on CA18DET (for the s13):

All the plugs will plug in just fine; none of them need to be extended. Just don’t worry about the 4th and 5th gear sensors. You might have to rewire the reverse sensor plug, or swap the reverse sensor from your KA tranny to the CA tranny. 

Or you can just use the USDM CA18DE harness (not DET) and make some modifications to it.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/ca18det-to-ca18de-harness-conversion-t371815.html

I don't want to sit here and do all the research for you. If you spend time on google you'll figure it out or just spend $100 on a wiring specialties harness. It's not that much. Considering you've spent a month researching i would just buy the harness online. You can always make more money but you can never get more time.

If you spend time on google you'll figure it out or just spend $100 on a wiring specialties harness. It's not that much.

The wiring specialties harness is $450, not $100. If it were $100, I'd have jumped all over it months ago. I've never come across a CA18DE in a yard up here, but if I do, I'll give that a try. Thank you.

You mentioned the lower harness for some reason.. I'm not concerned about that. I already know a KA lower harness is very similar to a CA; they have the same transmission(different bellhousing and slightly different gearing). The engine wiring harness is what I've been inquiring about. All I wanted to know in the beginning is which circuits on the engine harness I can eliminate as I'm patching the one I have(that's been cut into 3 sections) back together. That's all. Comparing the lower harness and the engine harness is like comparing apples to oranges; completely different altogether.

I don't want to sit here and do all the research for you.

Thank you for not wanting to do the research for me; I appreciate that. I think that the research is half the fun, along with the benefit of picking up extra info that you didn't know was out there along the way. It is my belief that people should do what they can to find answers on their own; the information is out there. I was not looking to be spoon fed, just asking for confirmation about a couple wires I wasn't sure about cutting out. Since most of the CA18DET swap info is regarding S12/13/14's, not an older Datsun(No A/C, electronic speedo, A/T, MIL, etc...), finding which wires could be deleted has been a little difficult. All I was after was some quick, direct advice from someone who I know had 'been there, done that'. That is all.

I've always enjoyed reading through your build. I have alot of respect for what you've done with your 510. I know a lot of time, money and work have gone into it. I wouldn't have asked you had I questioned your competence, or your build not been so thorough and impressive. Thank you for your time. Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

Then I apologize, I don't have a lot of time to spend on ratsun or working on my car lately so i speed read things. Perhaps I got the wrong idea based on the tone of what you wrote and took offense when I shouldn't have. I will be gone this weekend but I will PM you my email. Send me an email to remind me to take pictures of what wires I am using and I can send the diagrams/etc that I have written down to you. I have NOT cleaned up my wiring at all. I would really and truly like to cut out all the unnecessary stuff as well, which I may do, but it will take a while. The hard thing about these harnesses is that many of the wires criss cross back and forth. It's not just "eliminate wire 28" because wire 28 may not be something you need, but provides power or ground to another accessory that you need. Pretty lame. Indy510 can attest to that - he tried to clean up a KA harness.

Anyway, I plan to sit down and go through what can/cannot stay and I will write all the info down as I do it.

Sound good?

• Like 2

Got really pissed off today, so went in the garage to spend some time by myself. Installed injectors and some minor stuff like that. Not sure why but my steering seems to be frozen. Pretty annoying. I literally haven't touched anything except some exhaust parts. So whatever... what else is new LOL. Anyway, that's my update. Might put pictures up at some point, might not.

• Like 1

Got really pissed off today, so went in the garage to spend some time by myself. Installed injectors and some minor stuff like that. Not sure why but my steering seems to be frozen. Pretty annoying. I literally haven't touched anything except some exhaust parts. So whatever... what else is new LOL. Anyway, that's my update. Might put pictures up at some point, might not.

I feel indifferent like that about my fucking car sometimes too.

Specially when I am pissed about something. Hahaha

Yeah well fuck... every time i go out to fix something i find something else broken. I can't turn the steering wheel anymore for some reason. I looked at all the steering components except the internals of the steering box and it all looks fine. Nothing is binding... so i just feel like Fuck.... seriously.... what the fuck am I supposed to do about this now?

On the plus side these adapters I couldn't find for my master cylinders finally came in yesterday so those are installed and master cylinders are ready to be bench bled/installed back in the car... so at that point everything is installed in the car however I won't be able to steer.

Welcome to bullshit town! Population: me.

• Like 1

Yeah well fuck... every time i go out to fix something i find something else broken. I can't turn the steering wheel anymore for some reason. I looked at all the steering components except the internals of the steering box and it all looks fine. Nothing is binding... so i just feel like Fuck.... seriously.... what the fuck am I supposed to do about this now?

I broke a steering box once,, and the steering wheel would spin freely for 3-4 turns before the front wheels would move .... it was scary to drive like that :rofl:

I don't see how a steering box would just lock up ... maybe remove your ignition switch (from the steering column) and see if the 'key lock' is jammed

• Like 2

OMG I love you guys... it was the steering column lock. This car never had one and I only work on it for like an hour every couple weeks so it's like starting over every time. Anyway I called it quits for tonight after I installed the original brake line fitting twice in a row after cutting it free. Obviously I am not in the right state of mind to be doing something important like brakes.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Like 4

OMG I love you guys... it was the steering column lock. This car never had one and I only work on it for like an hour every couple weeks so it's like starting over every time. Anyway I called it quits for tonight after I installed the original brake line fitting twice in a row after cutting it free. Obviously I am not in the right state of mind to be doing something important like brakes.

Thanks for the help guys.

this is when you know you have lost it 

something so simple and just needed outside wisdom to remind you of your ignition install 

this is funny and frustrating all at the same time 

I LOVE RATSUN 

• Like 3

things left to do

1. fix 1 brake line flare that drips a tiny bit after use.
  2. Finish bleeding the brake lines
  3. wire up the brake light switch
  4. adjust the exhaust so i'm not only running the downpipe (LOL.... sounds awesome this way though)
  5. Tell the ECU I'm running 1000cc injectors
  6. Assuming I get everything else done, I will work on booking some dyno time this weekend to try and put down some good numbers.
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Adjusted values in the ECU so that i have the base fuel pressure, injector flow rate and dead times set up. It should fire up on it's own now. 

Spending some time cleaning up wiring while everyone sleeps in. Later on today I'll run the clutch line and get someone to help me bleed the brakes.

• Like 1

Well, i got the car running and idling correctly with the 1000cc injectors and new turbo. Working on the clutch line now. I have a gopro now so i can record by myself while driving. If everything goes well, I'll upload a video with it mounted to the dash later. Gotta bleed and test everything before i go for a ride... not sure how much i'll need to to adjust the map, so i doubt i'll have any WOT video but we'll see. If i can do it safely I will.

Quick vid of startup & running... runs WAY better than before with these injectors.

• Like 3