My vitamin C

guillermofergu

Hey everybody, I'm new to these forums, but I've been lurking around for a few months until I got my Datsun 510. I want to jump into the community and don't really know what to say...so....

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_08121.jpg

I have plans for this, but first I need to fix some problems. The transmission is automatic, for one. A second close one on the importance scale would be that if I don't constantly have my foot on the gas at a stop sign, it'll stall (unless I'm in park or neutral). I have an inkling that the stalling problem is due to the carb not being properly adjusted, and even though I understand on a basic level of how carbs work, this is the first one I'll actually touch and I don't really know how to properly adjust it or what to do when adjusting it to make that problem disappear. If that problem is simply the transmission being silly...well, I'm at a loss. Anywayyyy, if you've noticed the other 510 right beside it, that is indeed mooghosty's (a recent poster of newness as well) 510.

Future aspirations aside from fixing the stalling:

- throw in a manual transmission of whatever type I can find (preferably 5 speed, for which I still need all clutch items, cylinders, flywheel, blah blah)

- update the suspension so the streets in San Antonio don't destroy stuff.

- obtain a rear lsd with decent gear ratios

- fix the driver side locking mechanism

- line up my doors with weather stripping or something to get the wind noise out of my ears

- eventually throw in a slightly bigger engine (most likely l20b or maybe something crazy like a vg30 if I have money for it) so I can move around quicker when I need to in this crazy city

I have more pictures that I can upload if anyone is interested. I didn't take them myself, however...if that matters.

• Like 2
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably just a poor idle. It could just be as simple as turning the speed up. But likely it's one or a combination of the following:

Small vacuum leak. Check all small hoses for cracks and splits.

Improper valve lash setting.

Idle mixture setting too (lean/rich).

Points worn, bad cap/rotor/wires/plugs. Check and or replace.

Ignition timing. Set last as changing the points or re-gapping points will change it and you will have to reset it again.

Thanks everyone! :D

I also forgot to mention that EVERYTHING works! I'm really excited about this 510.

Good first post!!! :lol:

regarding your to do list.

a dogleg 5 speed drops right in.

a l20B drops right in, aside from L16 oilpan and pickup

I've read a little on the swap and such of both the dogleg and the l20b, but I got a few differences regarding the things that need swapping out regarding things like modifying the crossmember and exhaust. I can't seem to find where I saw that, so I don't even know if it was a reliable source. As far as the dogleg is concerned...it might take a little while to source one... I know this isn't the appropriate place to ask, but if anyone has one? ;)

I also have no clue where to get the parts to make (I don't even know what I need for it) the swap from automatic to manual and I have looked around using the search function, but every hit I get ends up with someone asking the same question, and they're told to either use the search function or given an incomplete list of things. I appreciate all information that is passed to me regarding this type of thing... :)

Probably just a poor idle. It could just be as simple as turning the speed up. But likely it's one or a combination of the following:

Small vacuum leak. Check all small hoses for cracks and splits.

Improper valve lash setting.

Idle mixture setting too (lean/rich).

Points worn, bad cap/rotor/wires/plugs. Check and or replace.

Ignition timing. Set last as changing the points or re-gapping points will change it and you will have to reset it again.

Thanks for the info! I'll perform all those checks once I'm able to bring it into a shop with light this week or weekend, but to be honest I don't know anything about ignition stuff. I should also read up on that or look at it myself to get myself learned on the matter seeing as I don't know what you mean by the points and what not. I've only been working on cars for a little over half a year and the vehicle I messed around with was a lame honda. I figured I'd get a real car to work on, and this is how I ended up. :)

Thanks everyone! :D

I also forgot to mention that EVERYTHING works! I'm really excited about this 510.

I've read a little on the swap and such of both the dogleg and the l20b, but I got a few differences regarding the things that need swapping out regarding things like modifying the crossmember and exhaust. I can't seem to find where I saw that, so I don't even know if it was a reliable source. As far as the dogleg is concerned...it might take a little while to source one... I know this isn't the appropriate place to ask, but if anyone has one? ;)

I also have no clue where to get the parts to make (I don't even know what I need for it) the swap from automatic to manual and I have looked around using the search function, but every hit I get ends up with someone asking the same question, and they're told to either use the search function or given an incomplete list of things. I appreciate all information that is passed to me regarding this type of thing... :)

for the L20B you don't need to modify the crossmember at all exhaust may be a problem because the block is 3/4 inch taller than the L16...

but the dogleg might require modification to the crossmember.. i think, but its the only tranny swap that doesn't require you to cut into the tranny tunnel.

as for the auto to manual swap, i'm actually collecting parts as well, just get the master cylinder, clutch pedal, some lines, and a line bender tool.

from what i understand, there is a pedal assembly that the clutch pedal bolts to, and there already is a hole for your master cylinder, but just covered with a plate on the firewall next to your brake cylinder..

you can look at my build thread for pictures and what not, I have done the L20B swap and will do the dogleg tranny swap soon after it gets rebuilt. but it's pretty straight forward.

Good looking dime!

Was this the one on craigslist, I was debating on making the long drive to pick up a orange 4dr on the texas craigslist. been looking for a 4dr for a long time, good score!!!

It is! I had been saving the money since around October or so... I was surprised that no one bothered with it seeing as it's the only one in Texas and one of four in a six state radius (that I could get to).

for the L20B you don't need to modify the crossmember at all exhaust may be a problem because the block is 3/4 inch taller than the L16...

but the dogleg might require modification to the crossmember.. i think, but its the only tranny swap that doesn't require you to cut into the tranny tunnel.

as for the auto to manual swap, i'm actually collecting parts as well, just get the master cylinder, clutch pedal, some lines, and a line bender tool.

from what i understand, there is a pedal assembly that the clutch pedal bolts to, and there already is a hole for your master cylinder, but just covered with a plate on the firewall next to your brake cylinder..

you can look at my build thread for pictures and what not, I have done the L20B swap and will do the dogleg tranny swap soon after it gets rebuilt. but it's pretty straight forward.

I looked at your profile and went to your topics but I can't seem to find it... I'm not sure I know how this forum business works lol

And don't forget to address the issue of lowering that dime!

I will! I just need to decide what I'm going to do with it first! I don't know much about what suspension parts work for this baby (aside from [modified?] 280 stuff), but I do plan on finding out! After Valentines day, I'll be able to lock myself in my room and read as much as I want....after I replace the thermostat housing on my focus. Yay for cheap plastic. :P

You'll definitely need the pedal box from a manual car. Look for someone parting one out :(

My dogleg has a modified crossmember, and I think that's the only thing you'll need for that, besides what's already been mentioned (MC, slave, lines, etc.). I changed from A/T to M/T on my old red car, and I don't really recall it being too hard (it was a VG swap, so it's probably relative).

Good luck, can't see your car here at work.

Dan