Minty Fresh 510

Tristin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a possibility I considered. If I remember correctly, I did have the shaking before I lowered the rear... but I also have a diff leak I believe. The diff may just be going out and it doesnt like that speed for some harmonic reasons.

Yeah, high speeds I have no issues at all. Its just the 32-37mph range it seems. Car shakes, and the steering column goes crazy so I have to speed up or slow down to correct it. Im thinking that since the sterring column vibrates so much, that it may be a front suspension issue.

Yeah, high speeds I have no issues at all. Its just the 32-37mph range it seems. Car shakes, and the steering column goes crazy so I have to speed up or slow down to correct it. Im thinking that since the sterring column vibrates so much, that it may be a front suspension issue.

Mine have done this when the ball joints are just about to die... :blush:

The tires are pretty shitty to be honest. Im hoping I can get my other rims mounted soon so I can get some meat back on the wheels. Then I can get new tires for the Diamonds so I dont kill myself during the Winter.

Moog, but you need to check if you have the small or big ball joints. Small usually is 68/69 and are hard to find.

Rockauto carries the large size, moog brand for a good price, Remember to grease them before driving though.

Yes, early is 11mm and late model is 14mm.

FWIW, if you had a choice between, make sure you go with the bigger ones.

NIssan phased out the 11mm balljoints for a reason!

You will be able to tell easily enough which size you have by looking. One is really small and one looks ginormous in comparison.

I upgraded to the larger balljoints for safety and ease of replacement from a donor car. All that is required is the steering knuckles from a 14mm car, and of course new joints.

If you measure the shaft diameter and post a pic, we'll easily be able to tell you what it is.

Awesome. I should be able to check them tomorrow while at work. Is there going to be an easy way to tell if the ball joints are shot? Im assuming that it would just be like deteriorating bushing on any other part of the chassis.

Another possibility for the steering wheel shake is a loose steering box. My can would do the same thing, and I have heard of it happening to other people. What is happening is that the loose steering box is allowing the wheels to oscillate back and forth at a certain speed, causing the shaking of the steering wheel. In mine I could literally let go of the wheel while it was oscillating, and it would still track straight. All tie rod ends and ball joints are in good condition, the steering box is just a bit worn on center like many 510 boxes are. After tightening the steering box (search here or the realm for a how to) it went away.

• Like 1

Hmmm that's a good tip too. I'll check that after I look at the ball joints... I figure it might be a little more intrusive to check the steering rack than ball joints. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Hopefully I can take a look tomorrow.

Yeah, I figured since Im looking at the front suspension, I might as well look at it all. Here soon I should be picking up all new adjustable LCAs and TCs. I figure with it being lowered quite a bit from stock, I should try to correct as much geometry as I can.

Is there going to be an easy way to tell if the ball joints are shot? Im assuming that it would just be like deteriorating bushing on any other part of the chassis.

With the car in the air, and the wheel on, have a buddy grab the wheel and give it a shake while looking at the joint. Any side-to-side deflection or up-and-down movement means they are toast. Betting the rubber dust boots are shot, they haven't been greased in far too long, and they need to be replaced. Never seen a 510 that didn't need new ball joints (presuming you bought it from a regular citizen, not a 510 guy), and I've seen the exact problem you're having on 5 different cars. New ball joints (and/or new tie rods) fixed it every time.

• Like 1

I did buy it from a Datsun guy, but who knows if hes actually greased any boots or anything. I wasnt able to look at any of this today, but Im hopinh soon. My plan is to replace everything up front so Im hoping that happens soon. My live-in girlfriends postion at work just got phased out yesterday, so were now on a bit of a budget cut. Shes got a few interviews this week so Im hoping those paychecks can pick up right where the last one cut off, so theres no dampening in funds.

..... NO poly T/C rod bushings!!!!! ....... run stock rubber bushings

I dont know if this was an edit to the post, but I seem to have missed this part. Whats the issue with running poly? I usually replace any bushing I can with poly mounts.

Hung out with Pumpkn yesterday. Worked on my carb a bit and seemed to work out a bunch of my stalling issues. I fixed them a couple weeks ago for about a couple days so Ill give it another day to make sure the problem doesnt come back. I trust Daves skills more than my own, so Im sure it will be fine. Scoped out his rides and helped him choose the new color for his KC. Its going to look really good whenhes done. I snapped a few pictures of the color choice, but Ill wait for him to post them up when hes ready.