Watching a 620

screamer510

What should I do?

There is a black 620 sitting next to an old pull-behind RV trailer on a property with some other trailers (mobile homes). I've noticed it just this week, and positively ID'd it today. I drive by it everyday on my way to and from work.

There seems to be little life at the property, and I doubt the truck has moved much in the past week, month, year, decade... I'd rate the place where it's at as a 7 out of 10 on the "sketchy" scale, unsure.gif 1 being friendly, 10 being don't come knockin' and bring a gun.

I don't have any money now, and I doubt my wife would let me get another car since I just got my 510. Tax returns are coming up, though...

What would you do? huh.gif BE REALISTIC!!

sorry no pics yet

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to the front door and knock. Smile and be friendly.

One day it will be gone.

Often on my job I have to knock on doors to let the owner know I am on their property. I have a surveyor's vest on and that usually is enough. I look official or from the town's public works. Find one of those mesh Hi Vis vests and wear that. If they see that they are much more likely to answer the door. Knock and then stand well back from the door but in plain sight so they feel less threatened. Don't go alone and have your friend stay well out on the lawn, also in easy sight.

Try... " Sorry to bother you, I know your time is important, but can you tell me who owns that......."

Mike, do people shoot vistors up where you live?

I've never heard of it happening here in Washington State. I have heard it happen once or twice in California, but one of those was a guy in a costume. I've stopped and asked about many Datsuns, never been threatened. Sometimes they aren't very friendly but no worries.

Trick is to look as sketchy as the people at the house that`s my angle anyways..biggrin.gif

You might be surprised by the people in the sketchy houses ..they seem to be easier to talk to and WAY less paranoid to actually talk with you , than people with immaculate yards....

A perfectly kept yard is not a sign of how nice people are...

I've never heard of it happening here in Washington State. I have heard it happen once or twice in California, but one of those was a guy in a costume. I've stopped and asked about many Datsuns, never been threatened. Sometimes they aren't very friendly but no worries.

In places where poeple "grow their own" ... I would be very careful.

I like the idea of "looking like one of them" when approaching a place.

If they have stuff piled up and cars sitting around, show up wearing jeans and an old T-shirt with holes.

If it's a nice area, yards in good shape, and cars parked on side yards .. wear jeans and a polo shirt???

I would ask about it, with caution, or else it will bother you everytime you drive by.

Been there, done that. Now I will ask. Even if it doesn't work out. no regrets.

As far as dealing with "the wife" ... I am sure not the one to offer advise ... LOL

2eDeYe' date='26 January 2012 - 10:52 AM' timestamp='1327593168' post='620232']

Leave a note on the door about the truck with your name and number. :)

I like this idea. Puts the ball in their court. It's just there waiting for someone. Any other suggestions?

Anyone near Augusta Georgia needing one?

Mike, do people shoot vistors up where you live?

No problems here. I just find that a few seconds being nice goes a long way. After all you are bothering them for something you want from them.

2eDeYe' date='26 January 2012 - 07:52 AM' timestamp='1327593168' post='620232']

Leave a note on the door about the truck with your name and number. :)

Notes get taken down and forgotten. Besides they might not want to go to the bother or really don't care. I just keep going back until I see the guy and make it easy for them.

I like this idea. Puts the ball in their court.

Notes get taken down and forgotten. Besides they might not want to go to the bother or really don't care. I just keep going back until I see the guy and make it easy for them.

A note is how I got my red 620. The guy was never there when I went by, he called me about a month after I left the note. :)

haha i grew up in augusta! folks are a bit more aggressive out there than most of us here on the west coast are used to. the hillbillies in the pacific northwest are generally mellow old hippies, down south the hillbillies tend to be mean old klan member meth hounds. but that is just generally speaking of course, they might be the coolest folks ever. or they might sic their dogs on you.

Well, I stopped on my way home yesterday after setting up about 300 science fair projects sad.gif. 1974 620, runs, dull black paint with blue house paint splattered down the side, cheap white steelies, cheap plastic truck box. He's owned it since almost new.

Old guy came out of the trailer smoking a cigarette butt before I even put the van into park. Missing six teeth, interesting choice of attire. I asked what the deal with the pickup was, and he said that he'll tell me the same thing he told the last guy, "Well, you don't see a FOR SALE sign on it do you? But if you have $4000 in your pocket, it's yours."

I could say $400, but $4000? He said he had a buddy that bought a '74 Toyota for $4000, so he thought he could get that for it, and wouldn't let it go for any less blink.gif.

I shot the breeze with him for a little while, then bowed out gracefully.

Moral of the story: doesn't matter what the car or who the person, what you want for your car is up to YOU!!! What you actually get for the car is up to the BUYER!!! Some people are so messed up?

Great story.

You can't fault the guy for asking too much. I get stopped all most every time I drive my 620, and when they ask if I would ever sell it, I say yeah, $5,000. That's not what the truck is worth in the world, but in my universe, it's worth every penny.

The true value of any item, is the price someone is willing to pay for it.

Next time take some pictures.

I'd definitely recommend stopping by and asking about it.

For almost 6 months, a little muffler shop near me had a 620 in front of it. I kept ignoring it, thinking it was a customers or something. One day, the truck, and every other vehicle parked in front, were gone. I later find out that all the cars they had were for sale, and all the ones that didn't go to new homes, went to the wrecker.

Ya snooze, ya lose.