[•••DTP's © 240z project •••]

I'm BLUE

poll vote just for fun loz  

68 members have voted

1. 1. is this v8 datsun project blasphomey? lolz

• no ... i love v8 swaps
    • yes ... traitor lolz
    • I like turtlez

When I got my Z mine too was missing the bottom portion.

Is it common for these to break apart there?

1st way to go DTP!, I just got up to speed on your build. Definately looking good.

2nd its very common. The most expensive interior parts on a z after the dash are the heater controls and radio. If you remove the controls the plastic is very brittle and breaks easily. If that didnt get it gone then the PO hacking it to install some bullshit 80's radio did lol. They command a real premium price unmolested.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1st way to go DTP!, I just got up to speed on your build. Definately looking good.

2nd its very common. The most expensive interior parts on a z after the dash are the heater controls and radio. If you remove the controls the plastic is very brittle and breaks easily. If that didnt get it gone then the PO hacking it to install some bullshit 80's radio did lol. They command a real premium price unmolested.

Hey thanks jay! !! Means a lot coming from what you have done and do with cars period... :cool:

I read your entire build at least 5 times ... all the way through.... and have it bookmarked haha !

Yup yup agree entirely with ya on heater controls! .... basturds molested mine .... lol

Slow pace ...but ... coming along ...

Couldn't help myself ... was just going to tack weld the floorboards every inch or so,

but with my ocd with leaving no gap unwelded syndrome ...

i have to fill the gap or try .. . :lol: ....

yeah i know it warps it .... errrrrrr

but i cant help myself lol.

Drivers side just about done ... will be adding bracing ... next on this side ....

should have done it in the first place, but changed my mind on bracing method ...

:rolleyes: :lol: ....

( po fawked up front seat mount, i just haven't fixed it yet as i keep forgetting haha)

IMAG1233.jpg

IMAG1237.jpg

IMAG1236.jpg

Hole in bottom right corner of pic is factory, ,,,

for lower retractable seat belt mounting location ;)

IMAG1225.jpg

Today ... got home .... cut out passengers side floor.with 4.5" cutoff wheel on crapsman grinder....

then spot welded my passengers side frame rail together ... and installed it as you see in this photo ....

I measured and squared it as best i could before tack welding it ( pretty dang square ;) )

The frame rail looks a little "wavy" ... this is because ....

i left an "edge" on the top layer of sheet metal ...

To allow the filler pieces on either side to melt and penetrate without burn through ...

(Just my method).... this side SHOULD look tons better than drivers side haha.

IMAG1256.jpg

IMAG1255.jpg

Don't know when i will be using por-15 yet .... i might end up needed a shitload of it haha...

3/4 sheet metal in and tack welded on passengers side . ... extra metal sticking up vertically on frame rail will be ground down after stitch welding is completed to my satisfaction .....Trying to get something done everyday on this big or small :) .

Will try to resist ocd of filling all gaps ..... and just stick to stitch welding on this side .... :lol:

IMAG1276.jpg

Frame Bracing will be welded in after next run to metal yard

Picked up some small random for this yesterday.

A "Hurst Competition Plus" old school shorter throw shifter ... always wanted one! !!! :cool: ... time to get rid of my shitty stock chevelle shifter .... :lol: .... i just have to adapt the shifter plates and adjust/replace shift rods ...

IMAG1281.jpg

IMAG1284.jpg

Guy nice enough to throw in free shifter knob :cool:

IMAG1287.jpg

H4 halogen headlight casings.

IMAG1317.jpg

IMAG1316.jpg

Complete set of (4) side markers ...

IMAG1319.jpg

IMAG1318.jpg

Shitty second hand 280z armrests will do for now lol.

IMAG1320.jpg

Hurst shifter is my favorite of this portion ...

best. Part pickup update coming up next ;)

IMAG1293.jpg

IMAG1292.jpg

IMAG1291.jpg

IMAG1290.jpg

IMAG1289.jpg

IMAG1288.jpg

That's all pictures of diff.

1998--- 8.8"LSD ( traction-lok )

4.10 gear ratio ( checked by myself and verified)

31-splines axles ... ( 1 spline bigger than GM 12-bolt posi-traction <---- tough rear end goes behind bbc's! !!)

Rear disc brakes ... factory

Rear calipers attached and included.

Rear e-brake cables attached

brake line junction box attached.

Axle width ( mounting face to mounting face) = 59.75-60.00"

bolt pattern = 5"x4.5"

wheel offset ... made for positive offset ( wheels suck in) cobra mustang, ranger, explorer, etc...

3-3/4" pinion offset towards passengers side.

Wheel choices are expanded greatly ...

240z rear axle track width = 53"

8.8 LSD rear axle track width = 59.75-60.00" ( wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

DTP those floor welds arn't shit at all!!

What are you doing with that axle? :unsure:

Hehe ... 4-linking lineup in progress Atm ... i think lol

Thanks on welds ... its "good enough" looking, but plenty strong ... i hope haha

Updates!!

Downdates! !!! Soon ... soon ... muahaha

No pressure but you only gots three months exactly.......again no pressure..

really..

biggrin.gif

U basturd ... :lol: ;)

It never ceases to amaze me ... a "budget project" always ends up being 3x as much as you were willing to spend.

Not any pictures to update ...

Original rear is out ...

been mocking up and jacking up/marking/measuring/pupeteering the 8.8"

To get a good idea for fit, strut location brackets, ride height, etc, blah blah blah

Org rear coil springs will be too soft per Jegs, and speedways chart for axle weight ...

I might remedy this ... the cheap way with a second set of lighter springs ... that are laying around...

It will ride rough ( teeth chatter rough prob lol) , but a little more control in some regards

I also picked up some BFG Radial T/L 295/50-15 ( pictures of those soon, ,, tread is like 10-11" wide touch ground un-mounted lol) ... badass if you like fat lower profile old muscle car tires ... picture of same tire mounted on corvette below to give idea haha :cool:

DSC00201.JPG

I have original cragar type steelie chrome wheels that came on the car

I will keep the fronts at 14"'s , and probably order some matching 15x8 or 15x10" rears ... like these ---> http://www.jegs.com/i/Cragar/260/3975112/10002/-1

These will stick out no doubt ... i was already planning to flare as well as cut out wheel wells ... backspacing is limited to about 6.25" at most Atm ... i think ..... and need to flare because of 8.8" is wider width obviously. ...

Also ordering new metric m10x1 and m12x1 brake line fittings ... finally ...at a reasonable price haha

In addition brake system will be composed of

1995 Ford explorer master and brake booster ( with built in proportioning valve)

1980 toyota 4x4 front calipers ( probably keep stockers for now)

1995 mustang rear calipers

Who knows how low or baja i will go.on ride height.. haha

Doesn't feel like going anywhere, but pressing forward ...

I have to go purchase more flux wire, ran out today errrrrr...

Pictures later time ... I'm toast haha

• 2 weeks later...