• no ... i love v8 swaps
    • yes ... traitor lolz
    • I like turtlez

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got another small section in tonight ...

this is 18-gauge steel sheet metal if anyone is curious ;). ....

The squared cut out section exposing the transmission and linkage ... will have the access cover built in it for disconnecting the shifter linkage and being able to pull it out without squashing it when pulling the transmission lol ( no really) . :)...

I quite enjoy working with shert-metal now ... i wish i had a sheet metal brake though lol.

IMAG1142.jpg

Frame rails width is approximately 2.5 ... i am trying to decide whether to replace with thin wall square tubing ... or restructure/relay with 18-gauge sheet-metal...

I will be extending the frame rails all the way back ... just like the 280z cars ... and welding mounting points ... to attach an "x" brace underneath the car ... triangulation ;) ... simliar kits are sold for $700 ... Fawkes that I'm building mine! !!! Lol

lol it's gonna sound like a tin can when you're driving it

They already do.... :lol: ... i love to drive down the road in a car that sounds like its gunna fall apart ...reminds me of my early employment years :rofl:

I also need to lay some strapping over the floors to beef em up a bit to for sure ;)

Sound deadening material hopefully at some point ... bahaha

I want to rsheet the whole fawking car ... please help me stop ... things gunna look like mad max soon ... lol

Actually I'm surprised ... thing doesn't pop or budge at all ... :blink: .... i was expecting it ollz

They already do.... :lol: ... i love to drive down the road in a car that sounds like its gunna fall apart ...reminds me of my early employment years :rofl:

I also need to lay some strapping over the floors to beef em up a bit to for sure ;)

Sound deadening material hopefully at some point ... bahaha

I want to rsheet the whole fawking car ... please help me stop ... things gunna look like mad max soon ... lol

Actually I'm surprised ... thing doesn't pop or budge at all ... :blink: .... i was expecting it ollz

lol that's how my friends' dad's Camaro sounded like, every time he floored it, it wanted to tear itself apart, never had that much fun in the back seat :lol:

Yeah you would think sheet metal would bend or something after welding, but holds up surprisingly. especially when you weld at a angle.

Resheet the whole car to look like this YO!

300px-F-117_Nighthawk_Front.jpg

lol that's how my friends' dad's Camaro sounded like, every time he floored it, it wanted to tear itself apart, never had that much fun in the back seat :lol:

Yeah you would think sheet metal would bend or something after welding, but holds up surprisingly. especially when you weld at a angle.

Resheet the whole car to look like this YO!

300px-F-117_Nighthawk_Front.jpg

Lol ... haha ... love it. !

Yup yup ... putting light bracing and angle gussets in that 9o corner that i added on tonight ... it will be beefed up for floor trans mount as well lol

Ahhhhh Fawkes yeah ... love the sleekness ... always cool and never boring :cool:

Lol ... haha ... love it. !

Yup yup ... putting light bracing and angle gussets in that 9o corner that i added on tonight ... it will be beefed up for floor trans mount as well lol

Ahhhhh Fawkes yeah ... love the sleekness ... always cool and never boring :cool:

:lol:

Gonna be doing the same to my Z soon, so gotta keep an eye on yer Z...

Seems like you know what you're doing :huh: :lol: :P

:rofl:

we own datsuns we are a different breed :w00t: :sneaky:

Bahahaha ... we sure are freak ... we sure are :cool:

:lol:

Gonna be doing the same to my Z soon, so gotta keep an eye on yer Z... to make sure you don't go to far off course

Seems like you dont have a fawkin clue what you're doing :huh: :lol: :P... I'm here to help... imam letchu finish

Fixed

Bahahahaha ... thx DAT510 ! ... what's life without a little chuckle eh ;)

Ive seen your welds ... yours will look great! Better than mine for sure! !!... just build un-boltable locaters for all the seat mounts/supports/brackets ( with properly shanked bolts) ... then cut it all out! ... this will make install much faster and smoother for us :)

If you can afford it .. the pre-formed pans are economically hard to beat! Easy to install ... reasonable down time ! Cheapest set i found was $300.00 + shipping ... :)...

I bought two 4ftx4ft sheets of 18-gauge sheet-metal ... and i still am on the first sheet ... plenty left to finish drivers side ... second shert un-touched and will be reserved for first cuts for passenger foor pans if i choose to do so ...and possibly close to enough to build those extended frame rails ;) ... i expect to buy one more 4x4 sheet ...at minimum ... or one more sheet of 4ftx8ft with some left over ;)

So $120.00 worth of sheet metal and $10.00 worth of cheap and shifty cutting discs lol

I am building extended frame rails, gussets, trans tunnel, and patch work so it fits my needs better :)

Not much of an update.

Did some work yesterday

Will be replacing floor frame rails from tension control rod brackets back.

240z floor frame rails end a few inches past the front seat mount bracket.

I will be extending my frame rails all the way back to the rear subframe mounting locations.

This will significantly stiffen up the car in addition to my front tri-angulated strut tower bar and ...

soon to be built rear triangulated strut tower bar.

I will be building my own version of this x-brace into my new frame rails pictured below ....

1328929743.jpg

^^^ this one sells for approximately $700 , and i have no doubt is a good unit and User friendly install :)

since i am replacing my floor frame rails... i will easily be able to add mounting points with no worry of strength.

This will significantly stiffen up the body for my sbc conversion in addition to my strut tower bars and possible future roll-bar/cage.

Next is pictures of frame rail ideas and options i am scouring through

IMAG1156.jpg

(((( from the top )))))

* 3"x1" rectangular tubing ... ( thick wall , ideal for hook up points if i ever wanted to 4-link a straight axle in, great roll cage mounting points, would be cross braced with smaller square tubing in addition to 18-gauge sheet-metal and support tubing to each pillar side)

* 2.5"x1" width square tubing ... ( individual thick wall ... made from two pieces of 1"x1" square tubing, 1/2" spacers placed in between and jig welded all together) ... ( adequete for.straight axle conversion and 4-link depending on additional bracing , adequete for roll cage mounting points, will be braced with additional tubing).... since picture was taken spacers have been welded in every 6 inches.

* stock datsun 2.5"x1"? ( i believe on heighth ) 18-gauge stamped sheet-metal frame rail. Perfectly engineered for the car. I just wish to brace in addition to my sbc conversion. Note : rust isn't anywhere near as bad as it looks internally, realistically frame could probably have been por-15'd and had been fine!

Here's another picture ...

IMAG1157.jpg

Yesterday I ... got a little bit done!

Slit open the floor frame rail .... specifically the portion that continues into the tca (tension control arm) or strut rod ( from rear towards front of car) ...

I was not sure what to expect .... but all is well ...

very little rust and i will be extending/welding in my new frame rail pieces up to the hard plate inside this area before re-welding it shut :)

View from the bottom ... tca arm bracket is behind the front crossmember.

IMAG1202.jpg

IMAG1203.jpg

Slowly but sure it comes along ...

made line up markers for rear seat brackets out of 1"x1" tubing quickly....( which i will just use the sliding seat frame rails to line up and confirm or just shoulda done in first place lol)) .

IMAG1193.jpg

Tahhh daahhhh! !!! Then cut the rear seat pan ...

IMAG1195.jpg

IMAG1197.jpg

IMAG1198.jpg

Hehe ... :sneaky:

IMG_0242.jpg

Seat mounts will be re-used as they are good ...

some might be thinking "but those seat pans are good looking! ? "

they aren't really bad ... could have possibly re-used them by just por-15 them and go ...

I am installing a stiffer frame, more gusseting, and .....

The car was showing signs of "twisting" on the body at this point ... :sad:

So .... fresh metal only $30-$40 more ... much easier to weld to .... and satisfaction of new metal!

especially when spending money on rust prevetitives, strippers , undercoating ,primer ,paint, etc etc

IMAG1199.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

i will probably weld tubing straight up the mounting points on the seats ....

to allow dis-mounting ... and mounting from the bottom of the car ....

some might question this, but having aftermarket or adapted seats can be a pain tomount and dismount.

IMAG1201.jpg

hehe sneak peak ... what's to come next on this portion :cool: ... ( measure measure measure! !!! )

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

I think I like the dual 1" square more like you are using. It should provide roughly twice the resistance to up/down flex, and similar lateral flexing of the 2. So I think it should be stronger.

Difference is 4 vertical sides that resist change instead of 2.

Fawk yeah :D

You'll have the power of a V8 without the shit handling!

^^^ i like this .... :D :lol:

Haha .... yup yup .... i hope so.... haha

:cool:

.... bad driver though .... :lol:

I think I like the dual 1" square more like you are using. It should provide roughly twice the resistance to up/down flex, and similar lateral flexing of the 2. So I thin :lol: k it should be stronger.

Difference is 4 vertical sides that resist change instead of 2.

Sweet man! I like the stuff to ... easy to work with haha

Nice to know! !!

You are the engineering go to :cool:

I gave away my nice pleather racing seats as a gift to a deserving soul ... :cool:

So..... i picked up some haggard miata seats for this instead ... bahahaha ... no really one of them is a bit haggard.

Miata seats fit nice, look nice, and don't scream "pull me over" or "steal me" .... fuck you Notes.... haha

Its ok ...i wanted to learn upholstery ( doubt i will be good) .... these are actually way comfy ....i know this because .... i have the EXACT same set in my other zcar haha.

Drivers one is haggard and passengers is nice shape!

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

Nice pooch in back lol

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

These were too good of a price to pass up .... since i liked the look and style... they also came with free seat covers in great shape ....

If they become too much of a hassle ... i will just get a new set off ebay and be done withit haha or just recover the org car seats.

Car is not being driven and until it is ... these are just fine lol ... :)

Seats are the last of my worries or even priorities on this project ... ;)

Yeah ... cranky day.... and slow moving project ... :lol: ....

Por-15 stuff came in mail ...

so this is good news...

i ordered 1 quart of black ...

1 gallon of marine clean ...

1 Gallon of metal prep...

I am sure i will need more than 1 quart lol ...

IMAG1221.jpg

IMAG1220.jpg

IMAG1218.jpg

IMAG1217.jpg

Flash rust ... yup ....

Waiting on MIG welder parts ... so i can finish welding this pig lolz. Arc welder can only do so much. ... :rofl:

Anyways .... por-15 came today .... got in drivers side frame rail ... both front sections spot welded and attached as well as rear sections .... front looks effed up because of beveled edges ..... all of this will be seam sealed after its por-15'd. ... live and learn ...... then a top coat ... and possibly sound deadening material as well ...

Sheetmetal over frame looks a little funky here ... i left a lip to weld and seal to ... :rolleyes: .... seam sealed later.

IMAG1215.jpg

Needs finish welding ...

IMAG1216.jpg

Also i need to hammer/smooth some corners before finish weld .... haven't gotten to those yet .... time spent on other things. :huh:

IMAG1214-1.jpg