• no ... i love v8 swaps
    • yes ... traitor lolz
    • I like turtlez

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably throwing this out too late but, what are your thoughts on a wishbone (triangulated 3 link) for your upper? You wouldn't need the watts link then. Plus it's cool because you don't see it used too often.
Good suggestion (I like those to) Driven. Love the input (especially from more a more experienced eye)

I had and still will think about this as I brainstorm :thumbup:

I think my main two main reasonsfor the watts as opposed to the upper wishbone(I think haha) was to allow more seat reclining area(doesn't sound right when reading , and I maybe slightly off) and hoping to set a lower roll center (driveshaft clearance/bottoming on my mind). I may not be approaching it realistically though (as a viable phase).

With that Δ being said ... I'm still not sure how much of the gas tank will need to be clearanced if at all if I keep the watts link.

I stil need to make the watts support detachable (even I cringe a little hoping i don't make it to hard to work on lol)

.... and not using the watts means I can stuff a larger a larger gas tank without thought ... less fitting headache ... more exhaust routing options etc.

EDIT: crap .. I completely forgot I could run the 3rd link/wishbone ..off to one side...... cool !! :thumbup:

I guess the design of the center of the center of the wishbone could simply remain open or arced .. to allow driveshaft clearance whike keeping the housing bracket mounted where its at !!!

Oh crap ... that would eliminate a lot of my framing shin-dig as well lol.

Thanks man. I'm a rookie a this :)

Yup..something of a variation to that pic above. :thumbup:

I honestly have little knowledge of what a torquearm's setup should be.(yet I know exactly what it looks like lol),

The floor space I had been concerned about was eating into the gas tank (literally) I'm not really so much now as I just planned to weld/modify or install a diffedifferent tank. (Although the practical advice helps me finalize one way or another after careful final thought ;))

Building it wouldn't be a problem , but the geometry could be :lol: . fear of not genuinely understanding characteristics/aspects I think kept me away the first time. (Although I still read) :)

The more and more and more I read (hotrodders magazine , advice , theory ,etc etc) The more I realize how much I simply don't know :).

At the moment it seems I could prepare for clearances and brackets for different setups as a redundancy.

Its nice to pop my cherry on this project ... really frees the mind of more possibilitys for future projects.

Maybe I enjoy frustrastion haha.

Thanks much Driven

• 3 weeks later...
DTP I just went through your whole thread. All I have to say is Holy Shit Awesome.

Moar please!

:lol: thanks bababooey ... hopefully moar better updates soon haha.

(miss howard stern on public radio...)

so I've read through this once before and don't have enough time to read through it again but was there any reason you went with the 4speed Saginaw in the beginning instead of a t5?
Saginaw is the bottom of the barrel to many.

Muncies in my area ... are all sorts of conditions for nearly the same price (at the time).

The price people want for a non-world class T5 or a world class T5 is/was atrocious ... so much so that a t56 or aftermarket richmond 5spd more sense (at the time.)

I wanted a stick to begin with.. saginaw was the cheapest option at the time and paired with an open diff would work ok.

Now that I have an lsd ford 8.8 ... the saginaw doens't make a lot of sense unless not beaten on lol.

I initially wanted deep gears (lower numerical number) ... eliminates my need for a 5th gear :lol: (just cheaper/more viable for me)

4spd manual has less parastatic drag than auto .... everyone likes manuals haha.

And will keep me closer to my target power band (hoping)

My first gear ratio is 3.54 x 2.73(diff) = 9.662 (you want to get as close to 10 as possible in general for optimum gearing)

I should be able to go about

55mph @ 1,900 rpm

65mph @ 2,250 rpm. (Don't quote me on that but its fairly close + or - )

75mph @ 2,600 rpm (passing or I5 drivers)

85mph @ 2,950 rpm (not likely gonna be there)

151mph @ 5250 rpm (lol... wait .... what ?! Nope... unless saltflats lol )

55-70 is where I plan to be ... no bs :)

The car will get a 383 or 400 in the future if I don't find a vortec 350 first ... or die driving it lol.

Of course everyone wants a t56 .... I'd then have to put in a 4.11 if that happened ;)

3spd saginaws are tougher than credit given and some are thicker casings.

4spd saginaws work alright.

You learn that your choice is really the lesser of the evils rather than "better" or *best*

Everyones evils are different lol.

I like Drivens option of an A833 with overdrive.

No trans expert though .

I can and likely will swap out the trans later ... after ..when the cars running/driving/together.

Likely a cakewalk to what I'm doing now :rofl:

Hammuck is secretley poking his voodoo doll right now :lol:

• 5 months later...