Need your "professional" opinion

mykflo

Hi all.. long time stroller, first time poster... I came across this 1982 b210 for $600. I went to go look at it. The car starts, but i didnt drive it because the tires were flat. New tires and wheels are already on my to do list no matter what i buy, as well as reapholster seats, carpet and headliner.. but Aside from this...

-struts and shocks are shot

-Missing the entire air conditioner unit

-door dings

-not original paint (needs new paint)

-needs entire new dash

- shifter is super wobbly

-rust/ not bad throughout, but the driver side and passenger side floor have holes in them. the frame and even under the spare tire doesnt have rust.. just the floor boards.

- Its a 5 speed s1.4

I can't post pics but here's a link.. or just search clist/ el paso/ datsun. http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/ctd/2695378898.html.

My goal would to end up making it look like a clean Japanese b210 with the big front lip and front quarter mounted mirrors/ dropped with 14 deep dish wheels. How much money and how hard would it be to a) find the new air conditioner/ B) find a new dash/ c)what to do about the holy floors.

I guess what bugs me is that i see some of you guys pick up some sweet looking datsuns for like $500 and I feel like i'd be overpaying for this b210 that needs a ton of work. Should I hold off and wait for another datsun to cross my path hoping that it will be in better condition for the money? Thanks.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to ratsun!!

i like your idea for the 210. and just to let you know, most $500 datsuns arent gems. up here in the northwest, most times we have rust in the floors, trunk etc. being in texas, there probably isnt a whole lot of datsuns to choose from.

the struts/shocks are an easy fix. rust in the floors can be easily cleaned ip if you have a buddy with a welder. i think its a good learning experience to try to weld your own patches. just make sure the seats are out of it(dont ask me how i know)

sorry for rambling, but bottom line: if you want the car and feel confident in making the changes to suit your needs/wants...........get it!!!

good luck!!!!

-door dings

-needs entire new dash

-rust/ not bad throughout, but the driver side and passenger side floor have holes in them. the frame and even under the spare tire doesnt have rust.. just the floor boards.

- Its a 5 speed s1.4

Welcome!! Thats a pretty small list you have :P Should be cheap to fix!

-shocks are cheap!

-ignore them, It's just beauty scars!

-No car has original paint these days. lol

-Because of the cracks? Hell, I think we ALL need a new dash then

-New shifter bushing! That's another cheap easy fix.

-What 510kevin said^^^^^

-The A14 is a great, strong running motor! It's way underpowered, but it's a great platform. Lots of parts still available for that car.

To be honest, the car looks really good in the pictures. It seems like it was fairly well maintained for most of it's life. Even all the hard to find pieces are still on that car. (Rear badges and fuel door clip thingy)

Hi all.. long time stroller, first time poster... I came across this 1982 b210 for $600. I went to go look at it. The car starts, but i didnt drive it because the tires were flat. New tires and wheels are already on my to do list no matter what i buy, as well as reapholster seats, carpet and headliner.. but Aside from this...

These are things that do little to make it run well and eat up money. Add to that an air conditioner.

-door dings

-needs entire new dash

- Its a 5 speed s1.4

Again a shopping list of fixes that will cost. Are these parts available near you? Do you have any experience doing this? Like painting or prepping for paint because you will have to pay for someone to do it. Without even driving this thing how will you know if it ...

starts, restarts when warm, overheats, leaks water (rad, block, heater,)

has a good clutch

has a good transmission with all gears and is quiet. Is it even a 5 speed?

vibrating driveshaft. U joints can't be replaced easily, usually the driveshaft is replaced.

has a noisy rear end or axle bearings.

has brakes that work, E brake work

has good steering/suspension

Driving the car and knowing what to look for will save you a lot of grief later.

I can't post pics but here's a link.. or just search clist/ el paso/ datsun. http://elpaso.en.cra...2695378898.html.

Actually you can with a few key strokes and a few minutes.http://community.rat...e-photo-albums/

My goal would to end up making it look like a clean Japanese b210 with the big front lip and front quarter mounted mirrors/ dropped with 14 deep dish wheels. How much money and how hard would it be to a) find the new air conditioner/ B) find a new dash/ c)what to do about the holy floors.

The fact that you are asking speaks volumes about your experience in rebuilding/refinishing a car.

I guess what bugs me is that i see some of you guys pick up some sweet looking datsuns for like $500 and I feel like i'd be overpaying for this b210 that needs a ton of work. Should I hold off and wait for another datsun to cross my path hoping that it will be in better condition for the money? Thanks.

Always always try to find a car that is as complete as possible. A 'little old lady's' car sold in an estate sale or a barn find or even someone's almost completed project that, for whatever reason, has to be sold. It will cost many times more to body work and paint a car than to pay a bit more for a straight one.

My advice is to save up and wait and watch and your dream car will come around, be ready. We have a member that traveled across the country to get his dream car and then drove it thousands of miles home to the east coast.

May sound harsh but $3000 and three years of effort to build a $600 into a $2,200 car is harsh too.

tthanks for the responses... i feel exactly how you all feel... even tho answers contradict! Part of me says... this is a $50 car, not $600... but then part of me says $600... i can get it for $400... lol.. yeah this would be my first "rebuild and i have little experience... I guess i'll pass on it.. wait for a better deal.. the wife was like.. you are not spending any money on that@! I did go see the car and it started after pumping the gas pedala few times.. My worry is that i won' t find a new dash.. not cracked.. completely missing... and i don't know how it drives.. sounded good when it was on but have no idea about if the gears work or if the engine is 100%, plus it had like 250k miles! freaking datsun engine! Yeh its a 5 speed for sure but oh well.. i'll keep looking.. Thanks for the replies, i'll keep u updated on my hunt..

its not a 50$ dollar car. people that dont like sunnys shouldnt browse the 210 section.

the 5 speed alone is worth probably 300$ -hell, in england theyd probably pay 600$ for it. it costs alot to get it to look like a JDM car, but it doesnt cost alot to get it running well enough to enjoy it. 210 parts sell for cheap, its just a matter of sourcing them.

also A motors are indestructible and get great gas mileage. after the nuclear holocaust hits, the earth will be made up of cockroaches and a bunch of running A engines.

if 650 is his asking price try to walk away with it for 4.

should probably say too that my stepdad gave me my b210, ive had the head rebuilt, changed the brake cylinders, rebuilt and later replaced the carb, fixed the interior, mended rusty floor boards, alt, starter, list goes on. all in all im probably only spent a grand. and im much deeper into texas then the op

There are no $50 cars anymore. Scrap price is $300.

The only problem you list that DOESN'T bother me is the shifter being sloppy. Even 10 year old Datsuns could have that.

The other problems, added up together, tell me that other parts, including engine and/or transmission could likewise be shot. The tip of the iceberg and all that.

My professional advice, having bought and sold many cars, including several 210s over the last thirty years is: Look for $2000 Datsun 210, it'll be closer to your goal, you'll save time and money. Even if you have to fly to CA and drive it back (like I did twice for my Datsuns), or ship it, it's worth it. The one 210 I bought that had multiple problems was the 2nd biggest headache I ever bought -- and was still nicer than the one in question here.

the most ive spent on a datsun was 700, including travel expenses, I couldnt spend 2k on one. Most ive got between 200 and 500.

But I have seen some buckets going for 1000+, might find a better one might not.

As for being a first project, gotta have a first one sooner or later, but alot of people get in over there head and datsuns get destroyed. Hope you find the right datto, that b310 is cool I like it.

the most ive spent on a datsun was 700, including travel expenses, I couldnt spend 2k on one. Most ive got between 200 and 500.

But I have seen some buckets going for 1000+, might find a better one might not.

As for being a first project, gotta have a first one sooner or later, but alot of people get in over there head and datsuns get destroyed. Hope you find the right datto, that b310 is cool I like it.

i wish i could find a 710 as nice as yours for only 700$. but yeah, unless you are willing to drive through the desert to get a car back to texas, its not likely to happen.

people only get in over there head when they are trying to do a stupid engine swap, like that guy that tried to cram a vg30et into a 210

its not a 50$ dollar car. people that dont like sunnys shouldnt browse the 210 section.

the 5 speed alone is worth probably 300$ -hell, in england theyd probably pay 600$ for it. it costs alot to get it to look like a JDM car, but it doesnt cost alot to get it running well enough to enjoy it. 210 parts sell for cheap, its just a matter of sourcing them.

also A motors are indestructible and get great gas mileage. after the nuclear holocaust hits, the earth will be made up of cockroaches and a bunch of running A engines.

if 650 is his asking price try to walk away with it for 4.

People who don't know what they're talking about should STFU.What part of "It's a $50.00 car",didn't you understand?

It is worth what you are willing to pay. From the pictures, the body looks complete, to me that is most important. I'd attempt to find a source for the missing dash before making an offer. Then reduce my offer by at least that amount. Many times, owners want to see their cars go to someone who will take care of them and get them on the road again, be respectful when making an offer. Nothing pisses me off more than someone beating me up on a price and pointing out every flaw on a 30 plus year old car, then not have any money. Don't waste the owners time. I've walked away from buyers over just a few dollars just because they were boy wonder asses who knew nothing. KB is right, it would bring $200 to $300 at salvage, so not likely to sell for less. The ill old lady barn finds are rare, most are wagons and frumpy 4doors. Be cool and pony up for a two door car if you can, they do command a premium. Most of the fun of old Datsuns is the quest for the perfect car. They always need double the parts and four times the labor to make right. Be patient if you can, tell the people here what your budget is and you have a nationwide network looking for you. Nearly every one of these old cars are projects! So the tools and skills, or friend network is a plus. Good luck.

There are no $50 cars anymore. Scrap price is $300.

The only problem you list that DOESN'T bother me is the shifter being sloppy. Even 10 year old Datsuns could have that.

The other problems, added up together, tell me that other parts, including engine and/or transmission could likewise be shot. The tip of the iceberg and all that.

My professional advice, having bought and sold many cars, including several 210s over the last thirty years is: Look for $2000 Datsun 210, it'll be closer to your goal, you'll save time and money. Even if you have to fly to CA and drive it back (like I did twice for my Datsuns), or ship it, it's worth it. The one 210 I bought that had multiple problems was the 2nd biggest headache I ever bought -- and was still nicer than the one in question here.

Yup, I agree here with Gzilla is sayin, I bought my 210 for 3500 cash and I have next to nothing repair. Just a few misc things like the seat recovers and putting in a new carpet but it won't take me long to get it where I want it either. Let me tell, there are a few things the every day DIY's hate to repair on car...like wiring or rust repair (I hate doing with a passion) Just saying, not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers here. The car looks ok but I'd say try to haggle to the 400-450 range.

(Warning heeded) Or you could cannibalize the good parts off his car and he could still get $ from the scrapper. If it's not worth saving, then save parts? When nobody want's the car, you know where it will go.

Now someone is making sense.This FIFTY DOLLAR CAR should be parted and a more "usuable"be found.

-door dings

-needs entire new dash

- Its a 5 speed s1.4

1. swap in a 280zx front brake assy, those are 200$ for a pair all day and an upgrade

2. ive got a set of 210 hinges, 20$ for all

3. paint "need" is relative if its lived in el paso for awhile

4. does it need a cluster? ive got one of those too, 20$, there is a junker near me that has a full black dash, if i pull it, would be about 70$

5.trany swap, you could probably find a temp 4sp for between 100-200

6.its a datsun, it has rust

tough nuts on the a/c :hmm:

say you get it for 4 and spend 8 on it. thats a nice 210 for 1200$. people spend that much or more on shitty used cars that will only last a year. and if you eventually come across a barnfind, you now have a parts car.

if those numbers arnt right, please someone besides mr cool guy correct me