My 77 KC 620

Farmer Joe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your out of the box thinking and your adventurous spirit.  Keep up the good work!

thanks charlie!

well i have it running again.. the day i did the cam swap, the starter took a royal poo... the bendix broke from the motor and would just freewheel.. 

said fuck using the L-series starters and got a Z24 starter from the yard... 

20150211_102842_HDR_zpsy6aekasy.jpg

works much better.. even if it is a used piece of crap... lol

truck runs pretty well with the cams. has the typical top end gains like everyone mentions. bottom end is still there too. with the carb and truck intake it has a whole different dynamic than FI. i feel i might have to go up in the carb now that it has much more duration on the intake side. i would like to put a set of 40s or 44s on it. i need to get a little bit lighter flywheel i feel. we'll see tho. it runs pretty well right now, so ill prolly just get the intake cam degreed like it needs to be, re-ring it, new rod bearings and re-seal it. fuck... $$

and in other not-talking-a-lot-about-it news...

20150207_151744_HDR_zpsgup2zdbb.jpg

20150207_151840_HDR_zpsejoos8ee.jpg

lastly, its been nice out..

20150212_132957_HDR_zpsc438givv.jpg

more to come.... 

• Like 3

haha thanks guys! 

yeah, im due for a set of skins on the back.. amazing how fast youll eat a set of tires with a locked axle...

trackin down a set of 205 55s has been a little harder, but ive got another place to check out. 

lookin at the pics, it makes me wanna take the pipe out, and go through it with my round hammer.. it could have been a little better if id taken some more tools to it other than the 5 lbs sledge lol.. 

i like the way it sounds now too! i kinda wanna add another 90 to make it go up and back a little hehehe... 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well, time has come to get this canby ready.. 

i ordered rings, rod bearings, and a gasket kit.. its shipped and should be here around the 7th.. 

Screenshot_2015-04-01-14-49-06_zps4f4lqe

got a schedule change submitted, so i dont know exactly when im gonna have the engine out, but itll be soon. 

ive also gotta get some tires for the truck. ive got one with a few thousand on it, so im gonna get 3 more. 

other than that, i feel its ready to drive over there.. maybe this year ill actually drain and refill the transmission. should probably start wrinting these things on the windshield.. 

i cleaned the wheels the other day.. they look good when theyre freshly clean...

20150328_143428_HDR2_zpsm2tbj1aw.jpg

20150328_144352_HDR_zpsqi0ojo7v.jpg

took some super clean to the engine bay.. it did make it a little better to look at.. 

20150328_143329_HDR_zpstml2jfx4.jpg

thats about it til the parts come in. more to come... 

• Like 3

wellll... 

20150408_193253_HDR_zpso8ukyslf.jpg

yanked the thingy out..

20150408_193314_zpsrw5zrg5f.jpg

the cylinder walls still have a good amount of crosshatch left in them.. so thats good...

20150408_193442_HDR_zps5pslwpzl.jpg

i have the pistons soaking in some gas. the oil rings on 1 2 and 3 were stuck with a lot of crud. 4 was the only cylinder that wasnt burning oil as much. ill clean them up tomorrow and take the rings off. i need to clean the ringlands since theyre pretty shitted up. 

i also noticed a few things about this KA. the pistons are full floaters. it also has oil squirters like a car KA. 

f1ce6767-7cca-4ff8-856c-ccd89fd2bf42_zps

so i guess later on down the line, i could try and find some forged pieces if theyre maybe the same as a s13/14..

organize all the fasteners... lol

20150408_193434_HDR_zpshvvbdyr4.jpg

and the head.. 

20150408_194247_HDR_zpszepksxdj.jpg

i picked up this tach at the swap meet last weekend. gonna see if it works when i put the engine back in. 

20150404_163938_HDR_zpsptouycl3.jpg

i picked up an oil and amp gauge that i dont have a picture of... 

thats about it for tonight.. im not sure if ill have a bunch of time for it tomorrow. ill get back with more pics later. 

more to come. 

• Like 3