82 720 KC build thread

poor-mans-720

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can i have your arm rests and door panels? lol

haha, the doors i bought didnt come with any... Elmer is going to have a blue passenger panel and arm rest... I think i might have a blue driver side arm rest...

Give me a bit and you can have the panels back Bro, I have mine, I just need the door, then you can square him away;.

• 4 weeks later...

spent a day easy wheeling up at evans creek... got stuck in the ice. need bigger tires. 33's-35's would have gone right thru that no problem. just lost momentum and sank. dug out the front control arms, then backed out. Was easy day... learned that my walmart winch could pull a splinter out of your hand... that thing sucks walmart balls... worst $60 dollars i ever spent. Says itll flat pull 2000lbs. bull shit.... hardly pulls my truck in the parking lot in neutral...

WP_000422.jpg

WP_000427.jpg

WP_000428.jpg

WP_000430.jpg

WP_000433.jpg

WP_000434.jpg

WP_001062.jpg

WP_001058.jpg

WP_001057.jpg

WP_001056.jpg

WP_001055.jpg

WP_001054.jpg

WP_001053.jpg

WP_001051.jpg

the locked front end REALLY helps. That rock climb was nothing... just wish I woulda locked my rear too... The front makes driving a little more difficult. especially turning. I wonder if my PS is even working. you think you would be able to turn your wheels back and forth while sitting still. it wont, unless I am rolling at a pretty good speed. Is that a PS problem others have? Or am I PS-less...

Also, i would not suggest taking the Altitude adjuster emission system out if you go up into the mountains. haha... My carb was all screwed up when i got up there. Wouldnt idle or nothing. had to adjust it in the snow. Then it did the same thing on the way home... ran pretty crappy. Dont get me wrong. I have a lot more power after taking all of it off. can feel my secondaries, and actually have torque in 4th gear... Just have to idle up when i get to the mountain. Around at the bottom i got it at 800rpm. per the idle label underneath the hood. sounds mean, kinda lobed out...

well the crappy was thing, whilst unloading all the crap in my truck to go wheeling, i took out my shovels... smart, eh??

well i just popped one of my hella light covers off and used it to dig out my front control arms, then backed right out... was really easy. just got high centered in the front. once i lock the rear, crap like this wont happen, as often...

i wish i woulda known you lived close to evens creek a while ago. we have an annual nissan/datsun wheeling run out there the first week of every october. i'm trying to get enough gas to go this year

Dato- 2wd or 4???

Nissan of the pre type- Sad to say, i had it up on CL for like a week $50... but then it didnt sell so i put it on my truck and really love the way it looks. Don't think i could sell it now...:) whats funny about that roof rack is that i found it in our laundry room of our duplex. It sat there for 6 months before i asked around and no one knew whos it was. Neighbor said it had been there for at least two years. So i decided to put it up for sale, then i thought it would look good on the truck. it was actually for a car, so turned it side ways and re drilled the holes for the feet more outwards and threw it up on the roof... looked good... so it stays...

Skulptr- my hellas bolted right into it, and i even ran the wires thru the frame of the rack so you cant see nothing. ya have any pics of the basket? drill holes thru the pipe and run the lights, or weld some tabs on it... haha... I didn't know that... that would have been hella fun doing a run with other datsuns. hopefully i am still up here in Oct for it this year. I plan on moving back to Texas in Oct though... Will actually have my lathe and all my other machining tools. Keep a ear to the ground for my home made ball joint spacers... :)

what about home made lift blocks.

and my basket isnt as tall as yours, and none of the cross bars are solid. you can grab them and turn them in their sockets. i've been toying with the idea of putting it up and some how bracing the bars, but havent really put much thought into it

That camber :blink:

shorter upper a-arms! lol. Look and see on your truck. On the upper a arms where it attaches to the frame, early years IIRC were on the inside of the frame, later years was on the outside. If yours are on the inside you can remove the bolts and insert washers or shims to bring that camber back in. If later years, a modified A-arm would do the trick or 4x4parts.com sells them.

HOLY SHIIIITTT!!! what the fuck was with that camber??? sheeze-nuts that was ridiculous!!!

My bad, i didnt know there was something diffrent about the UCA between years like that.

mine did not do that... the only thing i had to do was adjust the toe a little...

Well are ya happy?? or not... :/

what year did that outer UCA? mine is an 82 and its inside, i bet its past 83...

oh, sorry about the bolt!! didnt even think that one through... 2 bags, two spacers... kinda what went thru my mind. whoops...

It looks good though... about as tall, if not taller then mine... l am only running 31's.

feels good to not be on your bumpstops though, doesnt it!! :) my back loves my spacers... :)

That camber :blink:

shorter upper a-arms! lol. Look and see on your truck. On the upper a arms where it attaches to the frame, early years IIRC were on the inside of the frame, later years was on the outside. If yours are on the inside you can remove the bolts and insert washers or shims to bring that camber back in. If later years, a modified A-arm would do the trick or 4x4parts.com sells them.

wait, what?? is that last part backwards? mine are on the inside of the frame, but putting washers or shims is the opposite direction that i need to move my camber, I guess that the two are set up kinda neutral. and to add the spacers or torque down the torsion bars goes one way or the other. mine went negative camber a little. and the pic above went hella positive... but I am going to remove the shims tomorrow and it'll be good.