82 720 KC build thread

poor-mans-720

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My bad I meant to post those pic in the spacers thread.

And there should be a slight angle machined into the spacer on one if the flat surfaces, didn't think about it until I put them on, it helps make up for the extreme angle on the ball joints

I had a few hiccups with installation, like having to pound them onto my ball joints because they are taller than the machined in dip. Other than that, I love not having my bump stops smashed flat

cool, cool... no biggie. the convo is still relevant to 4x4 720s. works here. but you can post it up in the spacers thread too... will be good for search reasons in the future. yea, i didnt think about that. but it would be weird, cause mine would have to be the opposite angle?? I took an 82 ball joint into my machinist... so he had that to go off. I guess i prolly should have looked into other ball joints. sucks... yea, the smooth ride is amazing. been rocking mine for a week now, and i sleep better at night, cause my back isnt as sore from driving on the crappy WA roads.

Wow... I ran into some similar issues with my install today, gonna update more on it tomorrow, but def wasn't left with that much camber, mostly toe in... Those short lil t-rex a-arms on the later years must be the culprit... Im happy I have a datsun not the nissan...

Had to get new ball joints too....twice....all part of the fun I'll explain tomorrow.

new ball joints? twice??? whoa.... yea, im loving the long arms of the early models. toe was really easy to adjust.

I am going to get ball joints today, both of mine up front are blown to hell... also, i found that i could turn one wheel by hand, back and forth about 5" with out the other wheel moving...

Some serious play in the steering. Looks like a rock auto type of day.... gonna order every bushing, joint, spacer, ball, tie rod in that steering and replace em.

so did some trading on CL and got 5 rims for the truck... yep, traded a walmart winch that absolutely sucked arse... I hated that thing. It was slow, weak, and a hassle to deal with cause it wasnt mounted. just horrible...

well traded for 5 rims and 5 tires, 2 of them are toast, huge sidwall damage, but 3 of them are actually in pretty decent shape, 2 @ around 50% and one at around 40%... all for a winch that i hated... yep.

33x12.5x15's

WP_001083.jpg

WP_001084.jpg

WP_001085.jpg

I know it's a long way back in the thread, but I sure found it easier to pull the motor than the transmission and transfer case when I did my clutch. Best part is that almost all of it was done from the top side, but the downside is you've gotta have an engine hoist, or a tree limb and a come-along that you trust. It's also a great time to do the pilot bushing, both main seals, pan gasket, and the motor mounts too.

so mounted some 33's up under my ride today... Effing love it... I dont care if my motor cant turn them, i am keeping them... I love them... Oh, so decided today, that i am converting my truck to propane. Will not rest until i do... I have been researching it... huge in the serious off-roading world... going to make my own kit and go from there... $2.80 a gal for propane... $4.50 for gas?? why are more people not doing this???

yea, they say you get about 90% of the fuel mileage with propane... okay, so say i get 25mpg right now... id get 22.5mpg with propane.

now at $4.15 a gal for gas, that is a $54 a fill up, and 325 a tank...

Well propane is $2.80 a gal, $36 for the same fill up, and 293 for the same tank... so, all in all...

Say, $16.60 for 100 miles, on gas. and $12.40 on propane.

I am about to drive 2000 miles down to Texas, come Oct. That is the difference of $332 in gas vs. $248 for propane on a trip of 2000 miles.

here are pics of the 33's....

I got the rims and some tires by trade. 5 of them... 2 good tires, and 3 shitty tires. So once i find some 33's these are being bolted on. powder coated black.

WP_000492.jpg

WP_000487.jpg

WP_000489.jpg

Dog and puppy resting while i did all this.

WP_000482.jpg

WP_000529.jpg

Gf cant even get in the truck anymore... golden... perfect to keep the fat chicks out... :)

WP_000503.jpg

These are my 31`s on the other side. had to jack the truck up to get even pics of the truck.

WP_000490.jpg

I gotta measure for ya, I think 24'' was my 31's... maybe more.

The seats?? i dunno... probably a celica or honda.... they are basic, but really comfortable. I had to do some work to get them in there. Everyone complains how the seats they swap in sit too high, but these actually feel really good, height wise.

since everyone else truck decided to break, one way or another. My flywheel ate the shitz... The started kinda jumped teeth for half a second. Left me, with, what was that look on my face.

Tried to start it again, and no bueno. The teeth on the flywheel were not having it... couldnt get the damn thing to start. Thank godness you dont have to go far in WA for a good push start hill...

Which happen to be my friends street. Scary enough, i got up to almost 30mph on that damn hill... Well 3rd gear, and off we went.

So now i ripped my trans out and got the flywheel off... Gotta find another one now. That is the hard part, cause I have only ever seen 1 4x4 in the jy's... So hoping to find out that other flywheels fit. have several 2wds to chose from.

Also whats ya'lls best kept secrets for a clutch spline alignment tool. I threw my rock auto one away after my last clutch change... now i need a cheap one, (free).

WP_000550.jpg

WP_000549.jpg

Wow crazy how so many trucks have issues at the same time... I limped my truck this weekend over to the smog shop to get it smogged and complete registration.... Thing failed miserably and this is on a rebuilt motor! I'm pulling out my hair over here... Dunno how much more money I got to throw at it to get it to pass