82 720 KC build thread

poor-mans-720

Well got the clutch back in, the center diff bolted in. Everything minus the front diff which I am tearing apart in the morning. Got special plans for that... Also got to finish up some stuff with the cross members, and thinking about painting the front push bar. Might even pull out the welder and play around with some steel I got...

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

got my box yesterday!!! Rockauto presents...

Clutch, slave and master cylinder... Yay...

wp001476.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That is ass big box of stuff.

. .. Rock auto have a shipping building in Auburn that parts are sometimes shipped from. My brother ( who lives in Auburn ) actually got parts the same day i ordered them,, and im in Tumwater..smile.gif

More oics of the baby cat are requested..

Well got the clutch back in, the center diff bolted in. Everything minus the front diff which I am tearing apart in the morning. Got special plans for that... Also got to finish up some stuff with the cross members, and thinking about painting the front push bar. Might even pull out the welder and play around with some steel I got...

Whats the plans for it? Did not know there was much you could do for the ones in our trucks.

When in 4x4 my truck has done better than expected so i was going to leave the front alone. When in 2x4 and open rear it is sometimes hard to back up on wet grass so i was going to weld the rear. The rear is so light i do not see a problem just like a jeep. Just a little more tire wear but i run free to me worn out tires anyhow. Be sure to let us know how it works out on the cv shafts.

I was wondering is anyone took a newer ifs and put it under our trucks for lower gear choices if anyone knew.

I agree, mine has done really well too off road, but I have gotten stuck once when I shouldn't have been... And it sucked... I was standing next to my truck with it running and in gear, with just one tire in the front spinning and one in the rear. IT SUCKED!! I had to spend the night in the snow... wasn't the best camping trip, but me and the girlfriend had fun. But none the less, I have seen many times a locker saves. I just hate the open diff in the PNW, all the rocks and all. One tire gets up in the air, and bam. no more forward motion. It would be so bad if I had more flex in the front, but that cant happen till i SAS. I want to lock my rear, but am worried about the tire wear. Its not just straight roads around here, WA is windy as hell... super accelerated wear...

When you weld the front and you are turning would it be to ruff on the front end that you would need to get out and at least unlock one hub if you were not needing 4x4 at the time. Even if not in 4x4 on the tcase the hubs locked in would be ruff on steering. But if that gives the traction you have to have for where you go the so be it. I would just like to know if it works very long for you or speeds up the sas. If it holds up well then i might think about doing my front too. I feel i do so little driving that a welded rear would not do much to hurt the used tires that i run.

im thinking that off road, the welded front will do fine. One the street im sure it'll be a different story. But jeeps, toys, suzks run locked fronts all the time. so im not thinking it will be too bad. I do alot of driving on the the, so I am worried about welding the rear... Cool thing is, with out it in 4wd the front doesn't engage if the hubs are disengaged. So I got a good feeling this will turn out good. I have a back up t-case if this doesn't so im not worried about it. If it fails im putting in a STi r180 with LSD... But really the truck is super light, so this isn't worring me to much. I should be getting the gears back soon. So ill let every one know. I might pull out my welder and weld te rear up myself after this. The only reason I haven't, is the tires that came with the truck were $300 a piece and still has the little nubs on em. So once they get down some more im locking the rear for sure.

here is all the parts of the front diff ready for reassembly... forgot i didnt have gasket sealer, so gotta wait till tomorrow to get some.

A can of Brakleen and ALOT of elbow grease, and got the front diff clean.

wp001556.jpg

Had 3 studs snapped off in one, and two in the other axle stub. Drilled them out from the other side and they came out easily.

wp001554.jpg

wp001553.jpg

cant wait to hear how this welded diff goes!

o btw, i picked up a KC rolling chassis for 100 bucks yesterday. pulling the engine and tranny from mine, t case is still in the, same with the power steering and pump. should (if i can get any damned help) have it running and drivable tomorrow!

• 1 month later...

I hope to see updates on this soon. I know it's been a couple months, but i think I'm sending my 720 in the wheeling direction, and would like to know what all people are doing. I'm budget conscious (read cheap and broke) and love to DIY pretty much everything...but sorry to resurrect the thread if it was never going to be updated.

im sorry I have not been updating as regularly as I should. I wasn't getting alot of feed back so I put the thread on the back burner.

The front welded diff Is holding up good. You are right. Its impossible to drive more then 10mph on the road with it. steers itself. Kinda scary :)

But when it snowed here in January I was all over the place pulling people out. And I've taken it wheeling twice and I've gotten through trails I couldn't before.

I've done quite a bit to it since my last post. I just tore out the interior, plan on leaving it carpet less and painting the tub. I have gotten new off road lights.

I also did a 3" body lift. Im loving the way it looks and sits now. Im in the process of trying to dual transfer case it. Right now the final crawl ratio is 29.1ish, after a seconfld transfer case it'll be 79.5:1 hella crawler!!

skulptur: really jealous that you got a rolling chassis so cheap. I've been looking for a second transfer case and everyone wants to charge me up wards of $200... Really lucky on that one!!! I'll have to drive over the pass one of these days and come see your 720's...

elfire: im the cheapest wheeler you'll find.. Lol, I built my body lift out of 4x4's yea... Literally wood... It'll be replaced once I can find some scrap steel tubing. But im working with what I got now... My username is poor-mans-720, so I know all about the "budget conscious".... :) there is alot of stuff to do on a budget for these things just gotta get creative .

David:what's up man!! Where ya from? Im over in Puyallup. Just south of Seattle. I can't believe there is all these 720's now... Were gonna all have to go wheeling or something.