82 720 KC build thread

poor-mans-720

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i did my SAS in a week. From cutting out the IFS to finishing touches. i only worked on it about 5 days. I had thought about how i was going to do it, and didnt really have the material to do it, when i started. There are a couple things that i would change. But for right now, its SAS'd so I am happy. Trying to get pics now...

@ Nathyne- How is the motor swap going?? It will be my next project once i get some more cash together. I am thinking about the 4.6L vortec motor, or the 3.8 Buick motor.... I want to keep it ford if i can. I am going to start and searching that out... Maybe a 4.0 or something....

@Poorman That's enough to make me drool...I was just looking at that and I got to thinkin, what about doing a 4 link set up front and rear with coilovers? I bet you have the fab skills to get it done. Steal coilovers from something common but with a good bit of suspension flex, then you end up with well beyond suspension articulation for those crazy off road days.

Engine swap was quite easy has been running since the end of last summer now was the first thing i did to it then it sat all winter until a few weeks ago. should have my frame extensions tacked on soon and then should be smooth sailing finally have a couple days to work on it. nice sas hoping to keep mine a little lower will see how the height turns out hopefully tomorrow have a full day to work on it up travel will suffer I think. any plans of adding hydro assist?

• 4 weeks later...

I try and stay away from too much mud. It is a PITA to pull the truck out of. At least with snow, you can walk around in it and just shovel your way out of...

Not to mention it requires alot more service when you re-lube everything more often<= if you actually give two shits about keeping your rig. I have seen so many frack up when they mud run then cry when it breaks down when a simple few more minutes with a grease gun would have saved them.

yea, I used wagoneer ones up front. They weren't the stockers though, bushmaster 4" lift springs. Worked perfect cause the axle is still set up spring under. I will have to get you pics in the morning.

i have been cleaning the truck all day. painting it Charcoal Grey right now. not dark as i want it to be, but better then the white and faded black that i had. I just put the read springs on the truck, finished this morning. Will post some pics of that tomorrow too... truck sits, level, beautiful and tall as hell... the cross frame, wasn't how i wanted it. I plan on changing when i have more money and time. the steering is also pally-winkled all up too... not enough money too do it all the way i wanted. but hey, i only got less then a grand into my truck, that is including purchasing it.

• Like 1