82 720 KC build thread

poor-mans-720

YES Dr D. Did.... and he was right... Z24 has a 240mm flywheel... but i got it for trade on my old tore up 225mm flywheel, so even though it didnt work, Id rather have a good one that doesnt fit, then a shitty one that does... Well i took the 240mm one to my other JY and switched it with the only Z22 in the there... So in the end i never actually paid for one. Just alot of trading. But I did get one that worked in the end. I installed it, and FYI have one of them small alignment tools. Its a PITA if you dont have one... I did it, but it was not fun or easy by any means. Took me 3 times longer trying to get it to line up then it did for me to change my clutch the first time that i did it.

Need to change my trans fluid, it looks horrible...

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice truck. Shit looks almost exactly like mine, only mines significantly more decrepid. BTW Im up here in FW. And I got you beat dude, mine was free when I started, I rolled it down the hill from a neighbors about 10 blocks away. Shit looked like he'd been living in the KC for a while I had to gut the entire thing to bare metal.

Will try to get some pics up soon.

beat me on the price.. lol.. wish mine was free. coulda done alot more from the begging... lol... dude, in Tac... ya got to get a thread started so i can see some pics... 4x4 too, i like it a bunch...

would like to take a peek at it... :)

there is a thread on posting pics, be sure to search it out... its some sorts of crazy to do... easy, but something I haven't done before.

would like to meet up some time and take a looksie... :)

dude, apparently its a huge annual Datsun only party. there is a thread for it. Its in Canby OR hence the name, and its just two days of amazingness... (so the story tells)

but its only 3 hours away for me, so i am going to make the drive. Its suppose to be a huge car show, and swap meet/party for everyone.

There was 165 cars last year, they are hoping to get 200 this year. So it seems like it should be a great time....

LOL, great name.

Datsun only sounds siiiiick though... Id love to go myself... but driving all the way north would truly be asking for something to brake down along the way.

yup... just google mapped it out... from 93560 to canby... 15 hours, one way... would REALLY like to be able to make it... just not likely this year with the motor not even through its break in period n everything.

yea, I am worried about taking the 3 hour trip... new 33" tires, will be the longest trip on them.

Dude, you would be driving about the same amount of time you would spend there... lol, no bueno...

how is the motor doing? I am thinking about pulling my Z out and doing some work on it... That thing is so tired, its not even funny... Starting to smoke at start up... :/

about how much was your engine build?? Don't think i have the dime to do it yet...

full rebuild top to bottom with a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty, 1350.... Guys did great work though n was totally worth it, feels so much torquier and alive, plus its passing smog now instead of leaking coolant and blowing white smoke out the pipe like crazy...

I almost think its running better then it did the day it was bought from the dealer... really is running that good...

Just really worried bout everything else... with a trip that far, it could be just about anything going wrong and your screwed.

I think after I get the steering issues straightened out and realigned though it will be feeling like a whole new truck in more ways then one... maybe good enough to run a short test trip to vegas... but saving a canby trip till next year, if at all.

oh, well the peace of mind is whats worth it... Yea, torque isnt even in a description of my truck... no where even close...

I cant believe you have had your truck that long... that is pretty awesome... :)

oh, i trust that even with my tired motor i can make the trip... its everything else that worries me...

I just wish my gf could get off work so she could go...

oh no... sorry... I def havent had my truck that long... I havent even been alive that long, born in '84.

Im just saying its running that good.

Ive heard more then once as well that these motors rebuild to as good, if not better then new if the original casting was good(not really a problem for the Z22 blocks but a common issue on the Z24's) and the builder knew what they were doing.

I know that with my rebuild, headers, exhaust and carb that it certainly doesnt feel like sub 100hp and barely that much torque....

oh, okay... gotcha.

I am going to have to look into this. Mine feels hella wimpy... like 60hp range... but I also havent checked compression. I have a fear i am only running on 3 cyl. right now....

I am going to have to rebuild by the end this year, I plan on driving this piece to Texas... :)

I need to have some loves for the motor, not feeling it lately...

Okay, just thought about this... Has anyone lifted there motor before? I know that it raises the center of gravity. But other then that, Why/Whynot??

I have a 3" BL so, I could in theory, raise my motor 3" with out clearance issues, right? I mean, besides an exhaust, what else would be an issue? Id like to raise it, an 1'' or 2'' so i can move my transfer case up, and get more clearance, a flat belly type of thing... Then maybe i could even fit a passenger side drop axle under there. Them D44 waggys are hard to find, and expensive...

And then I would have space to run my dual cases.

I need to find some D44... damn, SAS right around the corner...

Been working on my front bumper. Here is where I am at. Found some extra pipe lying around some fencing that been sitting there for the last year. 1/8th inch steel pipe, heavy F**king duty fence pipe.

Well, I have been chopping and welding, and this is where I am. Whatta ya'll think about it? kinda pre-runner looking, but I am thinking about building it, then selling. I want more of a tube steel type bumper. not so much pipe.

WP_001191.jpg

WP_001190.jpg

WP_001189.jpg

WP_001187.jpg

WP_001186.jpg

WP_001185.jpg

WP_001184.jpg

WP_001183.jpg

WP_001181.jpg

haha, Yea, I am gonna finish it up, and then put it for sale. Got a lot of welding and grinding to do... Then paint. Hopefully I can have better pics up tomorrow. Going to be hella cool looking when finished. Better then some of the stuff I see on Toyota's and all... Not too much, just enough...

Camping trip I took this weekend... Was fun... WAY too much damn snow still... got stuck once. Not bad, just dug out and backed up. Made it through the trail to the camp site without getting stuck, after having a jeep winched out, a sammy pulled out, and digging a brand new MW3 jeep out. Yea, me in this Datsun blew through it, like nothing... Was prettttty bad-arse... :) made me happy...

Wish I had a good camera. woulda loved to get more pics.

The 33's kill it on the the road, kills it bad... The hills on the road, destroy it. But, a SAS and motor swap is coming...

WP_001241.jpg

WP_001235.jpg

WP_001234.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

okAy, newest problem I have with my truck, it dies when I am idleing and let the clutch out. So I am sitting at a light, in neutral, and let the clutch out. It dies like I shut the key off. Figure its the neutral safety switch, but do I correct this, unplug it? Is there fuses or anything that go to this? I dont have time to trace it out tomorrow. Going wheeling again.