82 720 KC build thread

poor-mans-720

thanks.

That is what I was going for. Definetly makes it look more serious about wheeling.

Yea, I painted everything up in the front, put it all together, saw the headlamps, and was like hell no. Took it all apart , blacked them out too...

Wish I could powder coat...

Need more suggestions on next mod. Tomorrow is re-indexing torsion bars and dual alt. And battery.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

brake lights out back together, parking brake adjusted and re-indexed driver side torsion bar. Going to do the passenger side today and have a how to written up.

Hopefully get some of the ride quality back from the reindex cause she rides tougher than hell right now. New exhaust collected gasket too... Yep. No more exhaust leaks.

So here is the "Re-Indexing Your Torsion Bars" how-to...

this is my first attempt at a how too. forgot to take the pics, till i was half way through. so its a bit shady. any comments/grips/narks or remarks. just let me know.

I had to take the exhaust off to complete the driver side but i needed to replace the collector gasket anyways.

These are the tools that you need

11/16 combo wrench

3/4 combo wrench

1/2combo wrench

marker or scribe

PB blaster amazing in a can

wire brush

hammer

measuring tape

two jacks make the job easier, only one is necessary

these are the basic tools that are required. circumstances may call for some others, but this is all i used to do mine.

temporary-52.jpg

these are the torsion bars from behind. Reference to which way you need to rotate. D-Drier side, P-Passenger side.

temporary-45.jpg

This is a busy pic, but easy to understand. The F) points to the front of the truck. Red) is the gap that results in either lifting or dropping your truck. Blue) is the direction to rotate to raise truck cause it forces your lower control arm down. Green) is the bolt that controls height of the front end

loosen the top nut, 11/16", then wrench on the bottom, 3/4", and loosen from the bottom. Green) points to front of truck

temporary-49.jpg

Jack up where the jack is to relive pressure on the bolt. makes loosening the bolt so much easier.

temporary-48.jpg

do this before you pull the torsion bar out

*The most important step is to make a VERY noticeable reference mark so that you know how far you rotate it. when you rotate the torsion bar the object is to make the distance further where the bolt went. This causes the torsion bar to rotate the lower control arm down, thus increasing ride height.

temporary-46.jpg

once the bolt is out, take your hammer and tape on the end to pull the front of the torsion bar out. Both of mine slide out incredible easy. so don't whack it too hard, could hurt yourself. (experience speaks!!)

temporary-47.jpg

once you rotate the torsion bar in desired direction, reinsert and tap back into front bracket, complete steps opposite direction. Jacking the front up, and placing a jack under the mount, then lowering the truck down makes installing the bolt easier. tighten, 3/4, bolt until you get desired ride height. Measure both sides, from frame to same reference mark on both driver and passenger side. I rotated mine 3 or 4 splines. something like that, then tightened it down to 5" from frame to green mark.

temporary-41.jpg

Rock the vehicle, drive or something. Need to help the suspension settle. Once settled, measure on a level surface from the ground to the frame between the lower control arms. Ensure that your tire pressures are all the same. will effect your measurements. I have 12 1/2 inches. I forgot to measure before, so i dont know if i went up or down on ride height. lol...

temporary-37.jpg

This is Fredrick, he watched me work on my truck... Racoon out during the day?? damn. im sure he was just glad to see me working on a datsun, and he did not have rabies!!!! team COON!! we go hard.

temporary-40.jpg

• Like 2

This is Fredrick, he watched me work on my truck... Racoon out during the day?? damn. im sure he was just glad to see me working on a datsun, and he did not have rabies!!!! team COON!! we go hard.

temporary-40.jpg

[/size]

Looks like hes giving you the ratsun salute :lol:

the end with the bolt just drops down once the bolt is off. The other end, on the control arm just pulls out. Can ya post a pic? On mine, the bar just slides into both ends, but I only had to pull the bar from the control arm, didn't have to pull it off from the rear, that side, once the bolt was removed, just dropped down. The end of it and all. But I had to take the bolt all the way out to relieve pressure enough for it to drop.