82 720 KC build thread

poor-mans-720

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cross over steering will physically push the axle from side to side which leads to some really weird handling without a panhard bar.

I've never run a panhard with crossover steering on leaf springs...my jeeps were all that way from the factory. Never been an issue. :confused:

Steering actually looks ok other than the angle. You should be able to run a highsteer arm on the passenger side knuckle to get it a lot flatter. Thanks for the pics. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice man! Finally got the sas done! How wide does the front assembly run now compared to the rear?

Did you have to extend the main drive shaft to fit the blocks you added to the rear axle? How big are the blocks btw?

Also, last thing, why did you go leaf under axle instead of over? And is that a rattle can paint job or an air gun?

Regardless, it's looking clean bro.

Ya know. The front really isn't that much wider. I think like an inch on each side, so it's really close. And I plan on going with a different rearend for gearing options. So it works out. It is much more stable on the road and off just cause it is wider. There are no blocks in the rear any more. I put wagoneer leaf springs back there. They were like 4" taller then the stock and quite a bit longer. The blocks that were in there are stock. They are just 2". I did not have to extend the drive shaft any. It fit nicely. I even moved the rear axle back like 3/4" to give it a bit better look and wheelbase.

Thanks Bc!! Im loving where its at right now.

And the pair is just rustolioum spray cans. I think it only took 3 to do the truck. So $12 in paint. It is charcoal grey. I did do body work in the sense of sanding and priming the rust first. So all in all two days. One to prep and one to tape and spray. It did turn out really nice!!

My budget to do the sas was pretty small so I got the axle it was setup for sua already. I want to go soa but then i have to get hi-steer arms and change some other stuff around. It would also be way to tall if i did soa right now. Like 6-7" taller then this. So when i can fond new leafs and hi-steer arms i plan on switching. Also plan on doing shackle reversal. Its a little bumpier on the road then i like.

So my truck hasnt been starting right since i bought it. I am sure that there was a something screwie going on... Well, for $80 i got a rebuilt runner Z20, trans, transfer case and front diff. yea... so if any one needs parts, let me know... Everything in the back of my girlfriends subaru work wagon is what i got for $80... pretty bawling...

Well I tore my engine out. probably took 30-40 mins. easiest engine pull i have ever done. The body lift really helped. let me swing the motor all sorts to make it quick and painless.

Well i pulled it all, and since my trans had problems to begin with I switched every thing over. (minus the clutch) Well, it had a short shaft 5spd. but that was fine, i had the longer drive shaft. So i had two options, switch the input flange and leave mine in there, or rear flange on the other transfer case. one has small flanges, and the other has larger. Well, the one i got, was way cleaner, so i just swapped. but am now thinking about a dual setup, I have tons of room to do it too... its crazy. Well i swapped flywheels as mine had no teeth. Starters, so i knew i had one that went with the flywheel, and trans because the newer one had no grinds, pattern was way tighter and smoother, and also had a working 5th gear. Well, one huge swap and put back together and then put my motor setup back in. All in a couple hours. The hardest part, was getting the rear flange off the transfer case. but a good impact socket and breaker bar, was easy enough. So truck is back up and running... well so to speak. the week that it was down and out of order cause it wouldnt start, killed the battery. So I have it on the charger now. But it does start... Like a BOSS... It has never started so smooth before. :)

WP_002196.jpg

WP_002198.jpg

WP_002176.jpg

havent had it out on the freeway yet. didnt know that the ratios were different. have the to look into that. but other then not going to far on it. it does good... I bought a brand new set of 30's mounted on grand wagoneer original rims for $100. they hadnt even been installed yet. so hopefully they wont look too funny and will fix the highway issue of not being able to keep up with traffic.

having an issue with my Trans. Well, the first day i put it in, i drove it down the street, I knew there was little fluid in there, so i drove it easy, and wanted to check that it shifted thru all 6 gears. (Reverse included) Well it did, beautifully to be exact. But When i put fluid in it, GL-5 was the only thing i could get ahold of, I think it is suppose to take GL-4 though... But anyways, it started to shift incredibly rough, hard to get in and outta each gear. Is this the fluid or is GL-5 alright? overfilled maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

have a short in the ignition me thinks...

So i can jump my starter with the ignition off, and it turns over perfectley. I turn on my ignition and i get this super slow barley turning over "RRRRR-ruh" repeat, or stop usually. but then i can turn my ignition off, and turn it over fine by jumping it? havent had time to look at it with the new job... miss my truck :(

Has any one have/had similar symptoms with causes? Sound like an ignition or electrical issue?

• 4 weeks later...

okay, So been away from my thread, but not my datsun. Figured the ignition issue out. well kinda. I changed two things, and one of them fixed it. Couldnt tell ya which one. but it runs better now. I adjusted the timing. I think it was like 15 degrees adv. now its i think 5ish. Also added grounding straps. from frame to body, and battery to body, and block to frame. Now it is good.

The other secretive project is another home made bumper. The one that i wanted in the first place, but didnt have time. Well i built it. What do you all think? its 3/16th inch plate cut and welded, then ground down and primered. It still has a couple touch ups to finish like blinkers and license plate install but still solid.

WP_002430.jpg

WP_002429.jpg

WP_002428.jpg

WP_002425.jpg

• Like 1

The bumper was designed to throw a winch up there. Now i just have to save for one :)

yea, everytime i walk towards my truck, i grin... Its just so aggressive looking. I have noticed there have been a couple people that thought about pulling in front of me, like the creep forward out of a street or something, and then the launch in front of you... Well alot of them creep and slam on there brakes when they see me. I have even had a couple people reverse out of the way. :)

I think it goes way better with the boxy-ness of the truck and the lines. I am really happy with how it turned out. been tinkering with a design for a couple months now. I pushed over some old trees and unwanted 4x4 fence post, like they werent even there. Just waiting to find the right prius to try it out on. :)

need suggestions about blinker, where would it look good to mount them?

When I look at that bumper, I see three amber round lenses that blink from the inside out >>>, like the couger/thunderbird taillights did, something big and intimidating like the bumper, it dominates the front of the truck, so you want to warn everyone which way your planning on going so they can get out of the way. rofl_zps2fd0ebc0.gif

You asked, I am not saying it is the brightest idea I have ever had, it's just the first thing I seen in my head when I read your question.

I'm not even saying it would look good.

If you could find a strip light that the light travels back and forth across the whole top of the bumper like that "night rider" car, that would be interesting.