Rear main on L20B

metalmonkey47

How simple is it to replace a rear main on an L20B while in the truck? My clutch the last few days has gotten rather...... slippery. I suspect I may have some fluids leaking.

I know I need to replace the clutch, so I'm not too concerned, but I don't want to ruin a good new clutch. Rear main is cheap, but I've NEVER done one before. Tips?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check front trans and rear trans seals too ,,, Rear main is not bad ,,, torque properly !!! ,,, I use an electric impact gun to zip off flywheel bolts ( around 90-105+ish ft lbs I think ? ) ,,, then a piece of angle iron drilled ,,, bolted in and locked motor ,,, to keep still ,,, while torquing flywheel again :lol:

be VERY careful on the crank sealing surface ,,, use a sealpuller ,,, or ,,, if neccessary ,,, you can take two small machine screws and tap straight into seal ,,, then pull out with pliers ,,, be very very careful with this method :D

check your u-joints ,,, replace while out as needed ,,, clean out the inside of the bellhousing/etc ,,,

check condition of throwout bearing ,,, pack it ,,, or replace if need be ! ;)

might as well check/bleed slave and master cylinder while there

Rear main seal ???? You dont have to pull motor for that.. You just remove flywheel and use a seal puller ( link below ) to pull it out . Then hammer a new one in making sure you go in straight.

http://www.harborfre...ller-35556.html

Thanks for beating me to it LTP

AKA...... Lurker TP

v

Rear main seal ???? You dont have to pull motor for that.. You just remove flywheel and use a seal puller ( link below ) to pull it out . Then hammer a new one in making sure you go in straight.

http://www.harborfre...ller-35556.html

Thanks for beating me to it LTP

AKA...... Lurker TP

:lol: ^^^ ,,,, :D

anytime ,,, bannanapeel !

Hahahahaha

Speaking of rear mains.

Jack the car up.

Remove battery cable

Remove starter

Remove driveline

Remove slave

Remove speedo cable

Remove reverse light switch wires

Remove the 4 bolts for the trans to engine

Support the trans, remove the crossmember bolts

Drop the trans

Remove the Clutch

Remove the flywheel

Find a sheet metal screw, dont push it into the rear main, but screw it in slowly till it goes in

Yank the old rear main out

Grab your new rear main seal, and put some napa Sil-Glyde shit on the inner part of the rear main

Make sure the spring in the rear main is facing into the motor, and tap it into place. Make it flush, don't go to far, you will be fishing it out.

Reverse removal instructions, and back in it goes. Good luck man. Takes 3-4 hours. Not to bad. Easier if you have a garage, some heat, and proper lighting.

Hahahahaha

Speaking of rear mains.

Jack the car up.

Remove battery cable

Remove starter

Remove driveline

Remove slave

Remove speedo cable

Drop the trans

Remove the Clutch

Remove the flywheel

Find a sheet metal screw, dont push it into the rear main, but screw it in slowly till it goes in

Grab your new rear main seal, and put some napa Sil-Glyde shit on the inner part of the rear main

Make sure the spring in the rear main is facing into the motor, and tap it into place. Make it flush, don't go to far, you will be fishing it out.

Reverse removal instructions, and back in it goes. Good luck man. Takes 3-4 hours. Not to bad. Easier if you have a garage, some heat, and proper lighting.

Just did this the other day and the hardest part was stabbing the tranny back into the motor, a good jack will REALLY help.

Hahahahaha

Speaking of rear mains.

Jack the car up.

Remove battery cable

Remove starter

Remove driveline

Remove slave

Remove speedo cable

Drop the trans

Remove the Clutch

Remove the flywheel

Sell car and let next owner do it ......laugh.gif

Or sell the car and help the buyer do I in your dam driveway like a real class act.

"wink"

:rofl:

I know where im going to replace my rear main at. your garage with a heater and a good supply of light bulbs, just in case a tool gets dropped on the drop light :blink: :fu: :rofl:

The rear main that was replaced a few days ago, was so worn out it was just sliding around on the crank. Didn't even sit in place anymore. I just used a pointy screw. I couldn't put any pressure on the screw otherwise the rear main wanted to slid in. had to just keep spinning it till it caught grip and went in... then it slid right out. Put the new one on, put a bar on it and tapped it in with a hammer lightly. shit don't leak anymore. really the hard part is just all the BS before and after replacing it man. That was the first one i've done and it came out good.

The rear main that was replaced a few days ago, was so worn out it was just sliding around on the crank. Didn't even sit in place anymore. I just used a pointy screw. I couldn't put any pressure on the screw otherwise the rear main wanted to slid in. had to just keep spinning it till it caught grip and went in... then it slid right out. Put the new one on, put a bar on it and tapped it in with a hammer lightly. shit don't leak anymore. really the hard part is just all the BS before and after replacing it man. That was the first one i've done and it came out good.

:thumbup:

Thanks for the quick replys guys thumbup1.gif

I do have a small leak, around the rear of the block. i'm assuming worst case scenario is rear main, since the clutch feels slippery and is degrading every day. I'm actually not too concerned since you guys make it seem SO easy (because I'm sure it is)

I have to do the clutch already, so I figure at the price of the seal, I'll just replace it while I'm there. It would be dumb not to. Input shaft seal is going to be another ''do while it's out'' job.