Fat510`s 79 A10 warthog

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the pad that hits the brake light switch on the brake pedal. Looks like it is missing from this pic:

2eDeYe' date='22 December 2011 - 04:04 PM' timestamp='1324598699' post='597947']

X2

Way to go on training the next generation :D

Thanks Dguy and Red. .... went out and checked on other car and that`s exactly what it was. Since he was alone he removed pedals from unit instead of just unbolting unit with pedals attached , and probably broke it off in the struggle.biggrin.gif

About the teaching thing, I think he`s working harder on it because i told him he has to go to POTD ... and i don`t think he wants to run the BBQ again because he drove his Toyota....

Zack man....thanks , i am still on the fence about it`s looks but my son loves the way it looks ...........so

We were hoping to get this safe enough so it will eventually be a pack mule when we go to Bonneville speed week at the end of summer..We are taking my or my brothers 4 door 510... but the wagoon ( with air shocks ) should be able to pack so much extra.

Zack man....thanks , i am still on the fence about it`s looks but my son loves the way it looks ...........so

We were hoping to get this safe enough so it will eventually be a pack mule when we go to Bonneville speed week at the end of summer..We are taking my or my brothers 4 door 510... but the wagoon ( with air shocks ) should be able to pack so much extra.

I say again, your boy has good taste in goons! ;) BTW you have a pm, I would love to have a shot at some parts. The tail lights mainly but some other crap would be great too. I would be happy to hook the kid up with some sounds if you dont mind a bit of noise! :lol:

I like this idea !!! That would be a great trip man !!! Goin and the 510 ....

Love seeing this thread ! Should be a cush ride in the goon ...

Take lots and lots of Oics of everything :)

I love thumbing through your build threads ! :cool:

Winter is here ... Work work work I.Errr ... So we can enjoy the datsuns while its nice

DTP..... well it has to make it to Federal Way to the Planet of the Datsuns first and that seems pretty far away at the moment ...tongue.gif....

good to see you guys picked up that green wagon, was affraid it was going to scrap. Project looks really good.

HEY Ted!! Good tah hear from ya .

...The spot we cleared at the end of garage is cleaner now and he can store his Lincoln , Bronco II and the green goon all next to the work area..We were going to buy one of those 5speed 620s that were for sale on craigslist , but it`s a good thing we didn`t because we needed the pedal assembly ,or ol` dad would have been a upside down under the dash , fabbing fool.

Got some shots of the elusive teen Donovan feesh wuurking on is mootour..laugh.gif...( in Jacques- Cousteau voice )

He disassembled engine last night and cataloged the parts into ziplock bags..The rings must have been getting pretty worn by the looks of the piston tops. It had quite a bit of air pumping out the vent in cam cover but i was in denial as to why..Oh well he needs to spend some more cash at Rockauto anyways. But this engine ( at least initially ) measures out as not over bored , or mis-matched ..

datsun521034.jpg

datsun521035-1.jpg

datsun521032-1.jpg

datsun521040.jpg

datsun521041.jpg

datsun521043.jpg

I know boring for most but im posting because if any of you have teenagers just the fact he`s doing something besides Xbox is something that should be captured on film..

And the slinger that came out...I actually offered some guy one of these ( and the pulley ) the other day on here for free ..but he wouldn`t PM me his address ..So i will use HIS..biggrin.gif

datsun521036-1.jpg

datsun521038.jpg

wife took today off to do some paralegal " malarkey " on my " Ratsun " computer so my son got some free intake clean-up..

...I did it this way because PCV hose will be all in the same spot and wont have to reroute.

I am going to have him epoxy up exhaust re-circulation hole and sand smooth later ..but for now it`s done.

datsun521048.jpg

datsun521047.jpg

Cut off tubes and sanded on disc sander..

datsun521050.jpg

datsun521049.jpg

Going to also find hex plug for the shiny plug on side ..........maybe

datsun521052.jpg

Got the boy to install his pedal unit and get the clutch master in and the tubing ran..

...After getting up at the crack of 1:00 pm wink.gif

I took struts out of parts car for test sample ...

..I had a set of coil overs a guy with a Mitsu eclipse was getting rid of and since my son wants real low i thought i would see if they fit.........They didn`t ... Apparently the struts are just under 2 inches in diameter so i had to bore them out to fit 510 strut ..Once on there i had never really looked at size of spring either so they are REALLY short ..

Anyways , laugh.gif, got some mr 2 struts out of one of the cars in the backyard and used the antique camber plates i got off Jeffery for cheep..And the oics show what i ended up with , for a test sample it came out somewhat ok , but spring would probably need changed.

'

We are going to try to make this thing as low as it can be and still make it over the speed bumps at the high school, because this is his project car,, he has a 84 celica for a daily..

He made some great progress with the pedals

datsun521055.jpg

datsun521056.jpg

Test sample coil over struts

AND notice which way sons feet are pointing in oics .....WTF!!!..i thought he was taking forever ..Now i know why

datsun521057.jpg

datsun521053.jpg

datsun521054.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

My son finally figured out which of the buildings around the property was the garage that his crap is cluttering up today..biggrin.gif

Finally honed out cylinders and cleaned it up ..i also am going to do a valve job on the peanut head w58 but was hoping he would do it so i had him disassemble an old open U60 for him to practice on. not much but i did take some pictures of them acting like their working, and thought i better post them before they start fading like back to the future.
We didn`t have any assembly lube so couldn`t put crank and pistons back in ...yet.

datsun522023.jpg

datsun522022.jpg

datsun522016.jpg
datsun522018.jpg

datsun522019.jpg

• Like 1

My son is pokey-ing around cleaning up parts with a hand held wire brush..I have a 10 inch grinder but i would have to change the wheels back and forth to grind something if needed.. So today i dug out this ancient bench grinder and an old electric 1/2hp motor from the pile-o-shit i call " the back of my garage " biggrin.gif,,and put them on a piece of scrap plywood nailed to a 4x6 and a 4x4 and made a dedicated wire wheeler for cleaning parts easier..hence faster. Bought a steel wire and brass wire wheels for it but haven`t mounted brass one in pictures..

...Made the mount stick out so--- " we " which probably means " me " ---can get the bigger / weirder shaped stuff into it..

Total cost....$ 14. skins at Harbor Freight, for the two new wire wheels ,,

datsun522045.jpg

datsun522050.jpg

datsun522049.jpg

datsun522048.jpg

The dog apparently was not that impressed ..dry.gif

datsun522044.jpg

And they are pointed due north ,,to pay homage to the king of all parts horders... Sealik the magnificent...biggrin.gif

datsun522042.jpg

For the last few days I've had this urge to pull trannies and or bury 'shit' in the garden......hmmmmmmm...I see now.

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

We honed out and put new rings in engine a while ago and my son painted block ,,sparkly blue color. Today after letting head soak in diesel and gas ( to keep diesel from gelling) in a giant tub for about a week and a half,, i ground the valves and seats in the A87 peanut head. On the #1 seat we put to big a wheel on and kinda made chamber larger but , rectified the situation by using smaller wheel and finished up.. laugh.gif

I was going to make my son do it all but i chickened out ..i have other peanut heads but not as clean as this one. only to fuck up myself,,

...the free spring height came in just under the max with the shims i got off another head ,,,although checking that is a total PITA..if someones got an easier way of holding valve up into head i would like to see it..

Haven`t under cut exhaust seats yet but that`s all that`s left to do

datsun522095.jpg

Who-Dat gonna grind them seats

datsun522097.jpg

datsun522098.jpg

and some crystal blue persuasion for you

datsun522099.jpg

datsun522100.jpg

gotta clean up grinding grit then finish assembly

• 2 weeks later...

lookin good

Thanks man......We found a pair of 195/60/14s up in the front garage ( under piles of crap laugh.gif) to mount on those wheels we traded for, that will make the front easier to lower. We have some 205/60/14s for the rear

The motor for the most part is together , i wanted to make my son help put head, timing chain and front cover on so at least the next time it wont be a new thing ,,He has kinda helped before but being a teen not sure if he was actually watching. The timing chain guides that came in the box were very poorly manufactured ,, so bad you could not push them in far enough to even install front cover. So after installing a non fucked up one and trying to diagnose problem for so long,, i am not sure son thinks it`s as easy as i was trying to show him it was...laugh.gif...

.....Also, the matchbox distributor that came with car was really tight ( engine was apart when car came ) tight enough that yopu had to install rotor just to turn ,,,so after a couple of PMs to the super-klotz and it was disassembled and greased up like a sheep's butthole in a southern country side..I have always ran points type distributors in my Datsuns so i was afraid i would break it..

Only three pictures as proof cuz it`s been way to cold for me to clean "my" garage so my son can get this thing in the car and track has started so progress on this consists of me watching the TV ..

datsun522118.jpg

datsun522119.jpg

He wanted the old style cap so here it is..

datsun522120.jpg

there is a really old school finned one in the sale section.

Naw, that would mean buying.smile.gif . i had a few of the Datsun one`s and a couple old elephant caps ..i used a Nissan one on my older car..

He thinks it looks better and that`s what counts really....and i guess it gives it an identity also.

• 2 weeks later...

My son who`s car this is was off digging ditches for his grandpa this weekend, so i got my 14 year old son to help put the engine in, which is good because he doesn`t argue as much..Although his eye rolling is almost as aggravating. :lol:

....I usually fill up oil pump after the engine is in car because im paranoid the oil will drain out somehow, Sooo got motor and trans bolted all down tight then went to pull pump off and some A-hole had stuck a frickin sway bar right under the stupid thing...(face palm)..oops. :sneaky: ..at least bolts didn`t break off or strip on sway bar brackets getting it off.

datsun522180.jpg

datsun522178.jpg

The rest of the pictures

datsun522172.jpg

datsun522173.jpg

datsun522174.jpg

datsun522181.jpg

datsun522175.jpg

datsun522183.jpg

Ground down exhaust re-circulation thing so we could use bigger manifold and still use stock hoses

datsun522184.jpg

and not sure if we can go any lower than 3 inches without removing trim which would kinda suck.

datsun522182.jpg

• Like 1