620 FUNK! **NOW with Stroker!**

After dealing with the dragging brake, I've decided it was time to go ahead and just replace the toasted front shoes again, even though they were brand new. Glassy as fuuuuu. Gonna knock out the rears at the same time.

Anyone know where to find the rear shims for the brake adjuster? Mine seem to have fallen out on one side...

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or just replace the material with new shoes because I have a warranty at Autozone :thumbup:

Albany brake shoes are garbage by the way...

You can see quite a difference in quality between the Albany (Left) and the Raybestos (I think is the mfg) (Right) Note, the Albany was about a week old.

IMAG1697.jpg

Not sure if many of you saw it, but a while back I was having issues with a popping that I thought at first, was king pin related. Well after some playing around, I narrowed it down to the rear passenger wheel. In the process of replacing the rear shoes, I found that the last person to replace them removed the parking brake return spring on that side only. Would explain the dragging brake. It's just a minor annoyance. In fact, I don't really have the issue anymore after replacing them (lubed it all up really well) but I still need to source out the spring.

I spend 6 hours total on the brakes. About 1.5 trying to clear up a brake adjuster that was frozen solid. Finally ended up heating it up with a blow torch and knocking the star wheel out with a hammer.

IMAG1699.jpg

Nothing new to report really other then some small things.

My heater valve, heater core, and radiator have all developed a leak after replacing the old, worn out radiator cap so now I gotta decide what to do there...

Getting fenders rolled this weekend so I'll be back with the old rims again. For now, I'll leave you some pictures.

7793196728_d17871de8f_c.jpg

_DSC0055-2 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

7793196256_1490b48fdd_c.jpg

_DSC0062 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

And of course, kudo's to monkeygirl for helping out with the bodywork! She is now, of course, back south in Florida again, so maybe I'll see her again in a few months.

7793195988_98071ffde1_c.jpg

_DSC0063 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

Edited by metalmonkey47

good help is always hard to find :D keep at it man!

No kidding man! It was great having her around to help. She's an ace at this stuff. Took out a lot of paint pretty quickly.

She needs some protection!!!! .... . bare legs, flip flops, no goggles, no dust mask/respirator, and grinding metal/old paint??

....... the pics/her both look really good though .... :lol:

:rofl: Indy, she clipped her leg with the disc about 30 seconds in right before I took that picture. Didn't even complain about it (surprising because she hit it at about 3000 RPM)

I got her some gear right after that!

She needs some protection!!!! .... . bare legs,

I think she needs protection from me being all over her.

As for th brakes you sure brake fluid/oil is not leaking in to the drum.

Most of those Datsun brakes I notice are all about the same. USA/Canada manufacture. At lesst the ones I buy.

:ninja: Hainz, that's what baseball bats are for :thumbup: haha

Yeah, there wasn't any fluid there, they just glassed over real quick from the dragging brake. These Shoes are made in India (pretty good stuff also)

Yessir! Especially on trucks, at the front on the seam behind the brackets where the water running out of the bed collects.

Not sure HOW other people got JB weld to work, because mine is STILL leaking!! I filled it to 3/4 of a tank with no leak, so I topped it off and now it leaks. makes no ffing sense.

I love jb weld i use it like duck tape! I've never had any trouble wit it. Sounds like an operator problem

I love jb weld i use it like duck tape! I've never had any trouble wit it. Sounds like an operator problem

It very possibly is. I'm not an epoxy guy. I'd rather weld it/fix it/replace it. But sometimes it's just hard to do.

I may not have given it enough cure time before exposing it to gas. (About 12 hours before gas hit it.)

My heater valve, heater core, and radiator have all developed a leak after replacing the old, worn out radiator cap so now I gotta decide what to do there...

Join the club...

I just ripped out the heater core and rerouted lines..

It looks alot better this way.. or at least I think so.

Join the club...

I just ripped out the heater core and rerouted lines..

It looks alot better this way.. or at least I think so.

I wish I could get away with that, but Winters coming soon, and this is supposed to be a COLD one.

On an unrelated note, Autozone now carries Sylvania (Osram) LED's in 6K.

IMAG0111.jpg

Also finished with one rim...

IMAG0106.jpg

Yep! Went right in, no problems! Fit my gauge light, and my indicator lights perfect as well! I'll get the P/N in the morning. 194LED is the P/N I think.

IMAG0112.jpg

Price of the bulbs might hurt your feelings....

they're so new that I can't even seem to find a picture of the bulbs. I'll keep searching.

yeah man we already got them, hey was it hard to change them? do you have to take the whole dash out?

Good deal.

Nope! Did my change in about 10 seconds! Just reach behind the the dash to the right of the steering column and grab the bulb holder in the center of the back of the gauge. Rotate counter clockwise and it pulls straight out!

We've had those for a while.. $7 a bulb?

Really? That's really your cost? $9.99 is my shelf price :confused:

Anyways...

in addition I bought an LED from Superbrightleds.com

(Click)

th_VIDEO0129.jpg

On to some random pictures...

_DSC0200-2.jpg

My truck is almost too low for ramps now..

_DSC0201-2.jpg

_DSC0202-2.jpg

Need moar higher.

_DSC0204-2.jpg

Finally got a good look at the exhaust. Don't think there's any way to tuck it higher.

_DSC0208-2.jpg

_DSC0215-2.jpg

Got some vinyl from the fabric store and made a new door card.

_DSC0218-2.jpg

_DSC0219-2.jpg