• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks really good for one made from scratch. :thumbup:

They should have done this from the factory, oh well. :confused:

Now you need to add a little to the rear skirt now, to continue the flow. :lol:

It's strange isn't it that they dropped the front skirt just past being able to mount a rocker panel on the bottom, so you either have to mount it a little up from the bottom, or cut the skirt to the proper height, then weld the rocker to it.

I had it easy, I just welded it to the cab in my project, but you have to figure how to blend both ends in.

working on the floor inside... but took a shot of the rocker on the other side after moving the truck closer to the garage... cause even after a 20' extension, I couldnt get to that side:

IMAG0176.jpg

besides... now i wont get weeds in my photos :P

Did you cut the weeds.i think not.Truck looks good for some reason,i normally like everything painted and tits and ass but im starting to like the so called patina look.
  • Like 1

motivation to keep doing your own work:

I spent the morning calling around to body shops; thinking i was going to be lazy and let someone else finish the body/paint on my truck...

first estimate: 9500

second estimate: 7500

third estimate: 8000

i stopped calling at that point, looks like its gonna be the 'homie network' and lots of elbow grease... cause theres no way Im paying that kind a money for someone to pull out a dent and spray a datsun. no way. *sigh*

• Like 1

been fighting with myself about how i wanted to do the tail lights.... I know, I know... stock is best. Well, i had an idea..

IMAG0198.jpg

So, i liked the mockup so much, I started cutouts for it:

IMAG0200.jpgIMAG0199.jpg

and while I was at it, I mocked up the roll pan too:

IMAG0201.jpg

you stockers are gonna hate it, I know.. but when I found those lights... i just HAD to try and fit them in the tail pillars. Once I did that, I needed a rollpan to fill the now empty space.

pretty excited about it, really. *shrug*

• Like 1

Gotta love having a welder :)

Are you going to mount them on top of the sheet metal? You have the tools and ability to flush mount them. Make a pocket just deep enough to flush the lights in. Not recessed...just flush.

...then again...on second look, it looks like they'd be fine surface mounted. Maybe a pic from an angle would make it easier to see how far they stick out. Since they're closer to the inside line, I'd put them parallel to the tail gate opening. The eye references that more than the bedside.

ps....I extended my week of vacation to two weeks.....so the goal is to get your arms done in that time :)

• Like 1

yeah, the welder was a great investment.

I *could* mount them ON the outside, but im planning to mount them as close to flush as I can. The pillar is somewhat rounded and the light bezel is flat, so its not going to be perfect... but, should be pretty close since the bezel is roughly a 1/4 thick. ill take a few pic's when I get the hole cutout complete, and light re-mocked up. It needs cleaned up so I can see how many standoffs im going to need to place it where I want it.

yay, looks like i'll be getting the fronts and the rear around the same time. excitement!

• Like 1

ok, got the roll pan welded in, it seems sturdy. Removed the old license plate stuff so its not visible.

Opened up the tail light holes enough to fit the new lights, new mock up with clear tape :)

IMAG0205.jpg

side view:

IMAG0204.jpg

roll pan came out great, lots more work to do on these tail lights though

• Like 1