'69 521... toys toYS TOYS!!

poltroon

Ok, this is my "writeup" as it were, with more pics then words...

once the wing is out, cut here:

IMAG0113.jpg

find some long enough bolts, and something to use as spacers (Im using over sized bolts), if you find a 1/4x28 bolt (these are 1.5" long) you can reuse the screw hole on the frame for easy mounting:

IMAG0119.jpg

the holes are 10"s apart, measure 1" from the outer edge of the door, eyeball the top of the rail to be close to the top of the door and drill holes for the support bolts.

IMAG0114.jpg

here it is in the door:

IMAG0115.jpg

now that the window rail is in, heres the stuff for the handle:

IMAG0122.jpg

cut the arm, and mount the wire:

IMAG0125.jpg

mount pulley and hook on other end:

IMAG0126.jpg

mount pulley support in bottom of the door:

IMAG0124.jpg

install new mech, this is a bit of a bitch really... my hand just doesnt fit in there. Had my daughter help me with this step:

IMAG0134.jpg

now mount the handle in new loc:

IMAG0135.jpg

and finally replace your door cover and handles:

IMAG0136.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

with the doors sorted, pending glass, I decided to spend more time on the inside... so I ripped out the dash, et al. The wires were nothing short of a clusterfuck, but it came out easily enough... sadly, it showed more rust places, not sure how i'll deal with that, if at all. Even the heater (core? I dont think the 521 uses water.. do you still call it 'heater core' if no water runs through it? suppose, its the core of the heating... meh, stupid musings.) needs a good wire brush and some fresh paint.

Anyone know of a way to refresh those rubber places that are now totally eroded on the heater?

found a place to pick up some steel sheets to replace the rusted out floors... but trying to decide how much i can replace myself since my welding is.. well.. novice at best. (just learning..)

Also, looking for a source for all the original knobs, since ill need to replace a few...

srsly, how does anyone get anything done with so much to do and a family that needs attention too :) My wife and my truck are NOT friends.

• Like 1

cleaned up the dash, pulled all the dead foam, and the tweed out... after I cleaned it up, I wasnt really sure what to do next... so I made a 'hood' for the speedo case, what do you guys think? Its not welded together yet, just pieces held together with tape, and taped to the dash.. but, good enough for an eval, what say you?

osh has 8x18 22ga sheets, so i cut out my own:

hood1.jpg

once cut, heres a few shots of it on the hood.. taped anyway:

hood2.jpg

hood3.jpg

hood4.jpg

need to tack it into place, then primer it and cover it somehow..

I havent picked up the glass yet, sadly. lots of other shit going on at once though... pulled out the rest of the cab parts, including heater core that subsequently started spilling radiator fluid inside my truck on my already rusty floorboards... green fluid, red truck.. it was like xmas in there for a minute... then I realized my dash is still in the garage, and my engine's on the floor... so it cant be xmas

Took the hood off

started removing the wiring and ancillary crap screwed in around the engine bay.

started sanding the truck bed, about 1/3rd done with that..

just spendin' time and money... not like I have anything else better to do :)

I think it ruins some of the nostalgia Z, but to be honest, I think it looks better... best part of these projects is each persons little personal touches.

Still havent picked up the single windows.. finally got my welder going though, so i was able to weld the window rail extensions welded on while waiting for the glass to show up. ill get over to the glass shop some time this week.

slowly but surely, this thing is starting to take shape.

• Like 1