Project BOOGER!!!

Booger

Hi everyone, Im pretty new to this forum and I've been working on my 510 for almost a year now. Having said that, I thought it was time to post up some pictures that I've taken along the way. Brief history on the car/buying....

......I've always wanted a 510 since I was 16 (now 26), so searching for the rite one for me wasn't gonna be easy. About a year ago my dad and I found one in Vegas. That was about 9 hours from Northern California where we lived. Anyways, we packed up all our crap and set out to pick up my first Datsun. After arriving in Vegas (at about 12p) we meet up with the owner and "his clean 510" (as he stated on the phone). Well it was everything but clean!!! He welded the engine to the flipped/cut-up crossmember. Put gum on the headliner so it would hold the liner from ripping even more lol. Lastly, the car stated sparking when he was trying to start it and it caught a little rag on fire haha. The list goes on and on. Thankfully, my dad told me not to be afraid to walk away and go searching for another 510. So we ended up driving all the way (22 hour day trip to Vegas and back ahaha) and when I got home I jumped on the net looking for another 510. A couple weeks pasted by and I came across this 510 up in the bay area. I drove up there to check it out and spoke with the owner for almost an hour before he'd even let me see it in his garage. The 510 was really nice, and the owner was the third of this one in particular 2 door 510. It was all original (motor that is lol). it had coilovers, minilite wheels and a roll cage. Needless to say, I was sold at first sight.

Enough with the BS and lets get to the pictures/build....

Here it is the night my buddy (one in the pic) and I picked it up. Notice the wire hanger holding the hood down haha

imag0021r.jpg

The first thing I had to do was fix the sticking throttle......

imag0027pb.jpg

Then I wanted to see if clay baring the car would make a difference.....and it did :)

imag0028c.jpg

The passenger side door and rear quarter.......notice all the nasty grey stuff on the door!!

imag0026c.jpg

And after :)

imag0032xc.jpg

Then my poor little stock motor needed a new water pump...

imag0031rv.jpg

After finishing up clay baring the whole car.....and lowering it some more :)

imag0033wf.jpg

And now the motor......this is exactly what it looked like when drove it home the first day

imag0056mmk.jpg

anothermotor.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So after about 6 months of driving my booger.....I decided it was time for a heart transplant! blink.gif

imag0023uw.jpg

Ive been looking for a driver fender, and a new hood. Apparently, this hood flew off when the original owner was driving down the road. Its a little messed up, so he painted it black!? hyper.gif

garageblackhood.jpg

started pulling out the old motor...

oldmotorcherryp.jpg

almost there.....

almostthere.jpg

finally got the old motor out thumbup.gif

oldmotoout.jpg

took out the crossmember too.....it needs to be welded up to mate to the new motor....

crossmember.jpg

the engine bay....

emptyenginebay.jpg

Time to paint the engine bay.....

enginebaylt.jpg

I want to own this car...I REALLY like it.

I'll trade u my car for a bag of Skittles haha jk. Thank you

I like that green a lot keep the pics coming

My power went out :angry: so I'm replying on my iPhone haha. I'll post loads of pictures tomorrow. :D

okay, so while I was cleaning up the engine bay and getting it ready for paint. I decided I needed new gauges for my swap. I went with some Autometer gauges.....

Heres the speedo....

speedoz.jpg

The Tachometer...

tachometer.jpg

Water temp....

watertemp.jpg

fuel gauge.....

fuelgauge.jpg

oil pressure....

oilpressure.jpg

after installing the gauges in there new home b.gif

gaugepodl.jpg

Another view....

dashview.jpg

wiring up the speedo/tach

tach.jpg

Instructions!? Who needs Instructions? ahaha

instructions.jpg

Okay, So I've put the KA24DE motor in my 510 about three times (bad transmissions haha) so you'll notice the valve cover was painted green in some newer photos and in a blueish color in the older photos lol. sick.png

KA24DE

greenmotor.jpg

after trying three different transmission and having every single one of them needed either bearings or gears lol......I decided to grab myself a new rebuilt transmission.....

transo.jpg

Installing my old KA24DE from my s14 (which has an SR20DET) thumbup.gif I'll post some pictures of my s14 if you guys wanna see it......

kagoingin.jpg

tight fit haha

kaalmostin.jpg

yee....the motor fit

2blueengine.jpg

I also painted the stock exhaust, but after painting it, I realized I didnt need the stock manifold! my Datsun is pre smog.....why not get a header!!??? lol

blueishengine.jpg

ohhh yeah, I forgot to take some pictures of the engine bay after I painted it. It took me the better part of the week to sand and prep. I eliminated the battery tray and planed on relocating it to the trunk, because I was looking for a clean look. Plus, I had a big ass intake that was gonna hang rite where the stock battery would be blink.gif

Nice looking car for a "first" 510. Most 510's I've picked up weren't even running at the time of purchase. Although, I have learned that it's better to spend a bit more for a driver then dump a bunch of money into a project and lose interest or motivation before it ever gets finished. By the way, anyone looking for a project? ha!

lets see this 240 you speak of.

This is what my 240sx looked like the day I picked it up.....

97615012.jpg

32513784.jpg

After about a week of driving the 240sx like that (and getting laughed at lol) I decided to do all the bodywork/repaint it and install an S14 Kouki SR20DET.....

70562398.jpg

all primered up.....

31925419.jpg

Pretty much finished with the primer and I installed some new Rota wheels.....

28091532.jpg

picked up an OEM S15 front bumper biggrin.gif

72049114.jpg

Fresh flat black paint wink.gif

19221074.jpg

55733772.jpg

new interior....

imag0154gf.jpg

I tried to keep the SR20DET looking as stock as possible, this way cops wouldnt know that I have some power under the hood :)

91792042.jpg

And heres a little something I've been working on.....thumbup1.gif

25913210.jpg