New to Datsuns

Lee

Whats up everyone? Pretty cool site here with some nice looking Datsuns.

Im new to the forum and new to Datsuns. Ive been looking at a 1973 Datsun, i think 620. I think the thing looks pretty cool, definitely needs a new paint job (3 tone primer) and a few other things to be a real looker. Im not new to older cars. I currently have a 75 VW bug i have been rebuilding, its a slow process so its still sitting in the garage.

Anyway, here is the craigslist ad if anyone can help me identify the type.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/2590769714.html He said he was going to take if off, so just incase i will attach the pics.

On with my questions.and draw backs with the truck.

1. It needs a new alternator, easy and cheap fix, i priced one from OReillys for $33. Anyone know if this thing is junk? Or where i should get a new one? I want to say it said it had a lifetime warranty, but im not positive.

2. It has some carb issues. The butterfly is not opening, im not schooled in the carbs on these, it had a clear window for the float bowl. Is this a stock carb, aftermarket? Truck ran fine on idle, but if you would give it gas it would bog down unless you manually open up the butterfly. Where might i find a rebuilt one, or a rebuild kit? I know webers are nice, but they are a bit out of my price range ATM.

3. Wiring. Im not sure how its supposed to look on these trucks, but im pretty positive there shouldnt be unplugged wires. :o And they have the fan hooked up to a toggle switch, there are a couple flashers hanging down on the drivers side kick panel, im guessing they are for the lights. So I will have to take a look at a wiring diagram and see what exactly is unplugged and why. Not a big deal for me, i re wired my 75 bug so im familiar with the wiring diagrams. Are wiring diagrams available anywhere on the web? Doesnt seem like they would be that complicated.

4. The tires are old and cracked. Not sure what size they are, they looked to be either 13 or 14 inch. Anyone ID the wheels from the pics?

So im looking for some input on the state of the truck. Its going to be a semi daily driver, i ride my bike on nice days so it will be more of a rainy/snow/cold driver.

A little history i got from the guy-

Truck comes from California

OD says 99368 (probably 199368)

The tailgate has been shaved.

It has a weird bubble window for a rear window.

As you can see in the pic it has a spoiler on the front, which will probably go away as soon as it drives up my drive way.

The guy seems pretty flexible with the price also, so the $800 is not final. So let me know what you think it may be worth so i dont get ripped off. Like i said im not familiar with these and i dont know how much they should go for in this condition. I dont want to throw a lot of money at it, but a couple hundred bones wouldnt kill me. I know i need to do the normal tune up things as soon as i get it.

Anyway thanks for the time and the feedback.

Datsun.jpg

Datsun1.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a 620 with early '80s headlights in it. I wouldn't pay that much for it, especially with all the things you'll have to go through and fix. My 620's stock carb has a window to the float bowl. Welcome to Ratsun! There's alot of guys here that are very knowledgeable. Enjoy! :lol:

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

The guy has had it for about 3 months i guess and he hasnt really done anything to it. I was thinking i would probably offer about $500-$600, the guy says he was ready to make a deal on it and to give him a offer.

Dodge D-50 grill and lights.

"1. It needs a new alternator, easy and cheap fix, i priced one from OReillys for $33. Anyone know if this thing is junk? Or where i should get a new one? I want to say it said it had a lifetime warranty, but im not positive.

2. It has some carb issues. The butterfly is not opening, im not schooled in the carbs on these, it had a clear window for the float bowl. Is this a stock carb, aftermarket? Truck ran fine on idle, but if you would give it gas it would bog down unless you manually open up the butterfly. Where might i find a rebuilt one, or a rebuild kit? I know webers are nice, but they are a bit out of my price range ATM.

3. Wiring. Im not sure how its supposed to look on these trucks, but im pretty positive there shouldnt be unplugged wires. :o And they have the fan hooked up to a toggle switch, there are a couple flashers hanging down on the drivers side kick panel, im guessing they are for the lights. So I will have to take a look at a wiring diagram and see what exactly is unplugged and why. Not a big deal for me, i re wired my 75 bug so im familiar with the wiring diagrams. Are wiring diagrams available anywhere on the web? Doesnt seem like they would be that complicated.

4. The tires are old and cracked. Not sure what size they are, they looked to be either 13 or 14 inch. Anyone ID the wheels from the pics?"

For $800 it should be running reliably. $33 for an alt? You will get what you payed for it about 3 months use if lucky.

Carb problems? Makes this a very unreliable truck. Again for $800 the seller should have it running condition. You shouldn't have to fix this too.

You have to fix a hacked wiring job too??

Cracked old tires???? Run away from this one. It's going to take a lot of work and money to make this a reliable cold, wet weather driver. You aren't familiar with them also.

Dodge D-50 grill and lights.

For $800 it should be running reliably. $33 for an alt? You will get what you payed for it about 3 months use if lucky.

Carb problems? Makes this a very unreliable truck. Again for $800 the seller should have it running condition. You shouldn't have to fix this too.

You have to fix a hacked wiring job too??

Cracked old tires???? Run away from this one. It's going to take a lot of work and money to make this a reliable cold, wet weather driver. You aren't familiar with them also.

Man your crushing my dreams. haha

I get exactly what your saying though, that is why i wanted to post on here before i made my decision. But so far from the parts i can price to make it reliable, would only be around $100. Alternator $33, carb rebuild kit $22 (both from oreillys, but i checked on rock auto for a alternator and it was around the same price) oil, plugs etc, hacked wiring might be a different story, i didnt check to see if the lights came on, so as far as i know everything is wired right. And if the grill is from a dodge that might explain the loose wires i saw up front.

No im not familiar with Datsuns, but i am familiar with motors and how to do my own work.

Oh and where is a good resource for parts for these?

Tires?

You need to drive this thing and see if it even stops (new brakes all round) steers ok (steering components) no tranny or rear end noises, shifting problems, (tranny replacement) does the clutch slip, engine overheats, does it restart when warm, will it get up to speed on the highway, wipers work, e brake, exhaust falling off, king pins seized. Don't take someone's word for this stuff, find out.

Tires are not good, they need replaced.

Thats a good check list. The guy says that it shifts good, but i have yet to drive it. I should have taken it around the block today. I didnt check all of those things, but i do know the e brake works, the muffler is in ok shape, sounds like it may have a small leak somewhere, but not to bad, the wipers will need fixed. The drivers side works fine, but the passenger side only moves about a inch, linkage slipping or something? He had it jumped with another car while i was there and we had it running for about 15 mins or so. When i was pulling out of his drive way he started it back up, im pretty sure it wasnt hot yet, but it might have been a bit warm.

Also i was just thinking. Im not even sure it has a carb issue. Its a 2 barrel carb. Is the butterfly i saw for the choke? I noticed there was a choke knob in the cab. Atleast i think thats what it was. And that was the only thing that was wrong with the carb. I will admit im pretty dumb when it comes to carbs. We had to open it up a little bit for it to start revving without hesitation.

This is exactly what it looked like looking down the carb.

StockCarb.jpg

If it were you, what would you offer the way it sits now? Would $500-$600 be a deal for you? Or you think its worth even less?

I paid 1k for mine, had to fix some minor issues. These trucks are not hard to fix up, I'd offer him $600, and expect to work your way up to 1k before you have something "reliable", not just running. Check the floorbards, rocker panels, frame for rust cancer. It is pre smog, so that's a bonus. I can't keep the grin off my face when I drive my little 620, I've loved that truck since the day before I bought it.

Number one thing I'd look out for is Rust. Check the floor boards. They are prone to be bad from leaks under the dash.(which can be fixed). Replacing engine components and tires are simple compared to the structural components. 500 is a good starting point

Larry

Aw,I didn't get to see the pics. Just the little side view.

Some of you guys need to remember Datsusns aren't very plentiful around here. Offer $500 and see what he says. Like they said,check for rust on the floors,rockers.bottom of front fenders and bed seams. And the frame too.

These cab be fun trucks to have,so I hope you get it.Or did you get it already? The cl ad is gone.

Thats not the carb. Just a picture of what it looked like.

I think i have decided to pass on it. Sucks though i really like it. Just dont want it to turn into a bigger project.

If you like it, get it.

Just don't overpay for it.

And as far as needing to do some work, it's damn near 40 years old.

Of course you're going to have put some work in.

That's one of the great things about these.

You get to make it yours!

Truck looks to be in great shape.

And if it is a Cali truck, moved to KC-the rust should be minimal.

From what I've read here in this thread-

I get the feeling owner doesn't want it. Something is beyond him wanting to pursue this work.

I'd take $600 with me, but maybe start the bids around $400-450?

In the end the truck is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it...

I live on the North East on the Coast and to find any Datsun is rare, i ended up finding mine in CA, flew over to buy it.

I came from the Aircooled VW world (yes german cars and Japaneese trucks, I might as well be the Axis) so its a bit of a change, the VW stuff was a lot easier to find, new, used, and so on. The datsun parts I am finding are a bit more, and few people have stashes of them in their garage (at least around here) and its harder to find local sources of information, us VW guys would get together to help someone work on thieir car or try something new, but when I ask for pointers or help with the Datsun a lot of people just look at me and say " I have no clue what would be involved" (Thank god for ratsun!)

To rebuild the carb thats on there, i would guess about $130- $150 (If you know how to do it a rebuild kit is like $30 if you find one at a good deal) A new weber kit is like $150-$200 (I forget what I paid for mine but it was around there) For me it would be worth just getting the weber...

The Alternator is not that expensive, I dont know about the one you got but I have seen many for this truck with a lifetime warranty for like $50-$80

I must say it seems like short money (to me) for a running driving car.

the part that scares me personally is the wiring.... In the VWs you can buy a whole wiring harness front to rear for under $100, and a lot more documentation on it. (Or if you want a GREAT kit there is one that has a real fuse panel and every 3"s of the wires are printed what the wire is for! but its like $350) I havent seen how bad the wiring is in this truck or whats hanging down.

You can always offer what you think it is worth, worst that can be said is no.

Hows the rust? brakes? I would def have to say drive it first. then you can gauge how much work its going to be.

Suspension/steering and brakes are probably going to be the deciding factors for this truck.

Being kingpin/drums, it would be easy to say that they have been ignored.

Nothing to really walk away from, especially if you like the truck, and given how scarce they are in your area.

Buy it up.

You will have the forum to help guide you through(almost) any issues you have.

Get it man. I am local to you. I was going to grab it but after 2 620's, my wife aint really happy about me getting another one. I'd say its a good deal. I parted out 1 truck so I have alot of parts for it. I should have an extra alternators and carbs for trade if interested. Its a good deal especially around here. It's pretty rare.

Edit**I noticed the craigslist post is not there anymore. Anyway, if you do get it, let me know. I got parts to help you get her up and going. I'll trade for that front lip thing since it seems like you dont like it.

that 33$ alternator is just fine. Its cheap cause of the external regulator. It is the lifetime and just as good as any other alternator.

edit: and make sure it is the alternator and not the regulator or a weak ground to the E terminal. The service manual gives a great diagnosis. There is also a teardown if you want to repair it ;D

As much as i liked it i didnt get it. Money is to tight to bring on another project or vehicle of unknowns. I have my vw sittin in the garage that needs finished and i really needed a second car quick. One of these days when im more stable i will keep my eyes peeled for another one. Hopefully the guy didnt sell it to the junk yard.

ya you should jump on it, low ball him on the price and see what he says...cnat hurt. Looks like a clean and complete truck, I have seen alot worse, amd people asking alot more. You should be able to get all that you need just on this site alone...reconsider and go try to deal with the guy...