$300K Z car

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well it is a 1972 240z Scarab in near mint condition, but $300,000.00 is way too much even for such and limited production car.

They are saying that is is documented to be the first Scarab ever produced. Kind of makes it more rare but $300K worth of rare, not in my book.

They do exist: Copied below is an article from "Import Automotive Parts and Accessory Magazine" as of Nov. 1978. Photo's by Jeff Zwart and Article by Lorna Fitts

Scarab1Lpub.jpg

Scarab2Lpub.jpg

Scarab3Lpub.jpg

Some rich fuck will buy it as an investment and garage it I bet. I would also bet if some kid stuck a bow-tie crate engine and 5 speed in for $5,000 to $8,000 he couldn't be happier.

I guess making money with a car is, to some, more fun than driving it.

Why would it have trouble?

x2 california smog laws are that anything 75 or older is smog exempt this car clears that by 3 years

i dont think its worth 300k but a genuine scarab would be worth a very nice chunk of change

I don't think this was done in collaboration with Nissan so it just a chevy motor conversion right. It's old technology 327 (historic maybe) but could be done better for less today. 300K is obscene... go to Barrett Jackson home of the truly obscene and try for 900K.

That is what I did.

2007-zcon-03-0068B.jpg

On_the_Road_240Z_LS1_and_510_godbye_053.jpg

This is what I would do. And I would end up with about $280K left in the bank. And have a better car.

I guess they think that all that paper work means something to someone.

Hey Guys,

Scarab was the first company that was doing full V8 conversions to Datsuns. Back in the 70's this was a big deal. Scarab didn't just stuff a V8 in the car, they offered a total performance transformation to the Z car. Scarabs do have a place in history and there are collectors out there that have paid good money for original Scarabs as they were produced in very small numbers. The car on ebay is documented as the 1st Scarab to ever be produced so this is the one that started it all. I am not saying it is worth $300K but I do recognize that is a historic collectible that will sell for a pretty penny to the right collector. I do know of one or two other Scarabs that have sold for more then $30K and I am sure there are Scarab owners out there that would not part with theirs for less then $50K. How much more is the first production Scarab worth. That will depend on the buyer.

Shelby did what Scarab did with the AC Cobra in the 60's and those cars are immortal. Can you build a Cobra copy for $50K? Yep. Can you buy an original Cobra for under $100K? I seriously doubt it. Even though the newer copy will be a better car with more modern parts, the original will always be worth more.

Here is some info on the Scarab.

http://zhome.com/rnt/Scarab/Scarab.htm

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/30344-scarab-z/

Hey Guys,

Scarab was the first company that was doing full V8 conversions to Datsuns. Back in the 70's this was a big deal. Scarab didn't just stuff a V8 in the car, they offered a total performance transformation to the Z car. Scarabs do have a place in history and there are collectors out there that have paid good money for original Scarabs as they were produced in very small numbers. The car on ebay is documented as the 1st Scarab to ever be produced so this is the one that started it all. I am not saying it is worth $300K but I do recognize that is a historic collectible that will sell for a pretty penny to the right collector. I do know of one or two other Scarabs that have sold for more then $30K and I am sure there are Scarab owners out there that would not part with theirs for less then $50K. How much more is the first production Scarab worth. That will depend on the buyer.

Shelby did what Scarab did with the AC Cobra in the 60's and those cars are immortal. Can you build a Cobra copy for $50K? Yep. Can you buy an original Cobra for under $100K? I seriously doubt it. Even though the newer copy will be a better car with more modern parts, the original will always be worth more.

Here is some info on the Scarab.

http://zhome.com/rnt/Scarab/Scarab.htm

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/30344-scarab-z/

No doubt about the scarab. I remember when they did that crazy stuff back in day. And I would hope it sells for a BOAT LOAD O money. It is the first and there can only be one first.

A friend of mine gave up over 30K for one at least 12 years ago. And it was rough, Not anywhere as nice as the one up for sale. I just couldn't believe the price that's why I put it up. I hope the guy gets it.

I put a offer in for 250,000.00 dollars.I hope he bites it."Sucker"

Probably not a wise thing to do. On eBay, your bid (or offer) is a binding contract so even thought you are probably joking around, eBay takes it seriously and could ban you from future use of eBay.

Just Sayin'

The amount of "I can build a better car for way less" talk is hilarious. No matter what you build, it will NEVER be what that car is. 300k is way to much for me, or any of you to pay. But someone might pay it. And why not slap a price on it and see if someone bites. If I had millions of dollars like folks who buy goofball stuff do, i'd buy it and dump it in a garage somewhere with all the other cars i'm sure I would buy.

Sure an LS1 powered Z car is cool, but it is NOT and never will be, a Scarab. Comparing the 2 is like comparing your sister to your girlfriend, it's just wrong. These guys were the originals, the first to do this sort of thing on a scale that was recognized as a production car not to mention putting AC on them. That was crazytalk back in the day. Let's also not forget that this is #1 in the production line, the first. I drove one of these cars in Athens Ga back in the 80s and it was scary fast and so easy to run around in regular driving it was amazing. These cars are not redneck hackjobs or cool kid garage projects, they were built to high specs.

Sure, I can go out and buy a fiberglass Willys body, build it up the same as a steel bodied car...but it won't be the same and won't fetch the same amount of money. Thats just how it is. The paperwork DOES mean alot to people. I drive a Mustang V8 swapped Volvo 740 wagon, so did Paul Newman. Same cars, NOT the same level of car :)

Well said qwik510 also.