damnitDave's 1967 RL411 SSS

Hi there,my name is dave and i have decided to quit being a datsun lurker,and commit to a project.i have researched and looked for many styles but the car that has shown its self to me is 1967 RL411 SSS.i found it under a tarp.its been there for some time now,near the beach.i got the car for $100.it has bad rust.id like to just see it run for now,and move into a dubbed out zombie type feel.any input would be great.take it easy on me im new at this.and thanks for hearing my story.

KFKoS.jpg

wedXj.jpg

6bWza.jpg

pqxVI.jpg

R1GzU.jpg

0m7Am.jpg

KX5Za.jpg

M3SKi.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,my name is dave and i have decided to quit being a datsun lurker,

0m7Am.jpg

I like this view of it kinda looks like a rally car all it needs is some 70 series snow tires and some BIGGER mud flaps thumbup1.gif

Tinted windows??

Thanks so much!yeah turn over yet?not at that stage yet apparently.

UPDATE: so its not budging.im assuming its either the brake drums are seized from sitting for for ever .or the hydrolic clutch lines dry rot and bled out while in gear?the clutch goes straight to the floor,so yeah theres that.the rear hatch latch is rusted off on the left hand side.and the carbs are off..oh and she needs a new radiator.and now it begins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i need an intake manifold from what he has said.but it may just be repairable if i cant find one.or its repairable.ill put the carbs on and charge the battery in the A.M.oh and radiator.any suggestions for one?

I know you're excited, Dave, but those stream-of-consciousness posts are a bitch to read. Try capitalizing the first letter of each sentence and put a space after the period at the end of a sentence. /End English lesson. Let's talk cars. :lol:

First, there might be plenty of gotchas, etc w/ your hundred dollar special. I have over three grand into my 'free' 411 wagon...and it hasn't been on the road since 2006. :(

So, what's wrong w/ the intake manifold and radiator?

i need an intake manifold from what he has said.but it may just be repairable if i cant find one.or its repairable.ill put the carbs on and charge the battery in the A.M.oh and radiator.any suggestions for one?

Any radiator shop can boil out your core. If you need a new one the shop can do it. Don't let them loose the fan guard! It is attached by being soldered into the core to upper tank top cap seam and is easily "lost" since it is a bit of a bitch to get right.

The "problem" with the intake manifold may just be that the "spring clips" that slip into the manifold and bridge the gap to the block may be missing. A new gasket and proper torque may be able to mask this but finding the inserts is preferrable.

okey dokey.i got her home and washed.im going back out in a sec to clean the interior a bit when im done here.

heres some pics of what im looking at with the radiator

pyaEx.jpg

and manifold.

FJbhX.jpg

IMO i need new.not necessarily new off the shelf just replace the ones i have.

the rust is pretty bad.....sad clown times there.im not sure whats my next course of action there.looks like i need a whole roof skin and some of the underbody of it replaced

rzvwt.jpg

yg3bu.jpg

and now the carbs.heres what they look like on the inside.any suggestions on which direction i should go here?they are Hitachi carbs supposedly.

JVJIq.jpg

and i think these are supposed to be some kind of old school alarm or theft deterrent

8tIOe.jpg

thats as far as i got into it for today.more later.at least shes home and safe

Yup, radiator is shot. Maybe someone on the list has one. I believe one from a L320/NL320 truck will also fit (might be a tad taller), otherwise have it recored. That'll run $200-$300.

The carbs are 38mm SU's made by Hitachi. There's a couple sites w/ ton's of SU info, as well as here. They definitely need a good cleaning, or send 'em to Ztherapy for the royal rebuild (approx $630).

The R16 engine was also used in the Datsun 1600 roadster. There's a few differences to fit it into the 411 engine compartment, but the basics are the same. My point being you can get a lot of info from the roadster folks at 311s.org.

Ouch on the rust, but typical from being near the beach and neglected. :(

one last treat before im off.a pic of the manuals and catalogs that she came with.including the notebook that he kept a log of EVERYTHING that went down...gas ,how much it was ,how much i got etc....note how much gas was back then?very cute...anyhoo thanks for looking and the advice.i building a list tomorrow,so i can cry,lol.

wHumw.jpg

the mileage fluctuated between 30 and 25,depending on his servicing.and you can watch it statistically.i guess he was a brass instructor at the local university,a particular kind of guy.and the car is clean for its age and location to prove it.

im proud of her.

hes going to come by and show me whats up with rebuilding these alien tech carbs,lol,soonish.i need a rebuild kit for them,searching for best prices.

i tested and inspected the brakes today.they are unstuck and functional,including the E-brake.and in not that bad of condition,either.

while i was under there i noticed a lot of crusty ,rusted lines and such .more pics when i get back from a beer run.

eYerL.jpg

i tested and inspected the brakes today. they are unstuck and functional, including the E-brake, and in not that bad of condition,either.

When you say inspected, do you mean you pulled the drums to inspect them and the shoes? I ask because mine appeared to work when I first got it. When I went to inspect 'em, they were totally shot. Lucky I didn't hit someone.

Also, if it's been sitting for a while (like your first post says), then you need to flush & bleed until you get nice clean brake fluid. Same goes for clutch.

yep , pulled off and inspected the drums and front discs.seem to be functioning properly.even the E-brake!

the clutch goes to the floor as of now so thats a whole other can of worms.

the car sat for 4 years,100 yards off the beach.so the corrosion is pretty bad.all of the lines look ,quite frankly,fucked.replacing all the lines as necessary,or as budget allows.

right now im going to try and focus on the carbs .which at this point seem a bit duanting but i have the manuals,which are helping a lot.rebuild kits,where do you guys recommend getting them from?

i did find some residues and rust build up in the fuel filter.so ill flush the tank and lines.add another one on the pile,lol.

shes resting after a long day of poking and prodding......................yes she has her own view of sunset

WH7Kk.jpg