lowering by cuttin coils, help me out

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand wanting it lower, but if you cant do it right with different springs or modded struts, you may get a sloppy suspension.

But if you still want to do it, remember once you cut, its done. Start small, and whats in back coils, leaf springs?

I did my 1st 510 by cutting coils, it was slammed and rode like shit, but I loved it bumps and all....:P

I lived in Phoenix at the time, late night drives outside the city......All I can say is Cattle Guards.......Hold on!!!:blink:

so i want to lower my 1978 510 hatchback. and im just gonnna cut my coils. i wanna do 1 on each, but does anyone know the formula on cutin coils to inches dropped.

thanks for the input

There are formula for working the spring rate

springs_formula.gif

Too complicated to work out the new ride height. You would need the new spring rate and the weight of the car on that corner. And then it would be approximate. Cut sparingly and check the ride height often. Less is more.

Don't forget the number of coils per inch. after you figure out how many inches the spring will compress accorinding to the distance from the ... thing. Which nobody seems to know.

Best thing to do is call a spring company. For a couple hundred bucks, they'll sell you the right lowering springs.

The biggest mistake I see is: People when doing this, just cut one side and set it down and look at it. Then they decide it's not low enough yet, so they cut the same side some more. When they get that side where they like it, they go to the other side and cut it to match, and now the cross member is sitting on the ground, lol (now they have to buy new springs). Keep in mind the other spring will hold up the car, so like Mike said, go slow, and do both sides at the same time before you set it down to check it. Also keep in mind it will settle after you drive it, so leave it a little higher than you really want it at first, (you can always go back and cut more).

Don't forget the other factors in being low. Camber plates and bumpsteer spacers are going to come in to play unless you want to wander all over the road. Its pretty scary.

-B

• Like 1

On my toyota I cut one coil all around, replaced all the shocks too. Rides ok, handles better than stock too! Its all about moderation, cutting springs for about 1" drop depending on the car should be fine, but the more you go the shittier it gets usually. IMO a small cut for stance/lower center of gravity is fine.

And take into a account, the more weight, the more lowar it will go. I drove up to Canada a few months ago with it lowered, with all the luggage and my bro in the back it was about 1" lower than it is empty. There was almost no wheel gap. laugh.gif Still rode fine for 1800-or so miles of freeway.

Cutting springs increases spring rate. Your shocks are only rated for so much spring rate. Cutting to much will make your car more bouncy. To think of it another way: As you wear out your shocks by normal driving you notice over time the car gets bouncy-er, my friends buick was a great example of this. So just be weary and dont cut too much.

so i want to lower my 1978 510 hatchback. and im just gonnna cut my coils. i wanna do 1 on each, but does anyone know the formula on cutin coils to inches dropped.

thanks for the input

Like these: Bad ideas

wlvc4w.jpg

chris-johnson-s-loonw.jpg

Looks good. How does it ride, how much suspension travel do you have left?

rides smooth actually. im very happy with it. after i get the front airdam im droppin it another inch or so.

as far as travel goes? i dont touch tires to body and ive taken it thru some tight hairpins. but im very happy with it.

Yeah, I never recommend doing this, but if you have no money and are trying to get a higher spring rate and lower suspension, well, do it carefully.

I am guessing with one coil you should see a 1 or 2 inch drop. I would not take any more off to start, and try to use a low heat cutting method and stop every so often to let the spring cool, you do not want to heat it up.

You will most likely need an alignment after this to fix the negative camber(unless you are one of the people that thinks that looks cool and wants to run through tires quickly), and it may help or hurt handling depending on how you cut the springs and all sorts of other variables.

Just be careful, take your time, and cut both springs at the same time...if you have to remove it all and chop more off, it is easier and cheaper to have to pull the struts out again than it is to try to put spring material back on.

NOTE: keep in mind the car may "settle" a little after re-installation, you may want to drive it a few miles after chopping the springs to see what the ride height will be...it may not be its final ride height right after installation.