lowering by cuttin coils, help me out

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand is cutting half a coil will result in ATLEAST one inch of drop. I would be careful. You should take your time and start with a half coil reinstall it and drive around the block and re-measure

If you measure the distance of one coil with the full weight of the car on the springs, that would be the amount of drop if one coil was removed. Don't know what 510 is. The 210 is one and one-eighth inch per coil.

That is just for struts or straight axle. Swing axle is something else.

Spades gave good advice on driving it around to make sure that the springs are settled. When you cut them round/flatten the top of the spring where it fits into the coil bucket so that it doesnt wear too bad. Also, when you go in to have it aligned afterwards MAKE SURE THE DAMN SPRINGS ARE SEATED when they put it on the alignment rack... I didnt check and my alignment was off and it pulled and wore the tires a bit.

I used 280ZX inserts and they handle the extra spring rate fine.

If I had it to do over again Id have gotten some collar clamps and cut the spring bucket off and lowered it that way.