valve clearance

jon521

tomorrow im planning on adjusting my valves on my L16, but i am lacking a book on my truck, so i was wondering what i should adjust my valves to? i watched a video that suggested 0.385 mm, does that sound right?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

COLD

Intake......... 0.008"

Exhaust......0.010"

HOT (warm motor thoroughly)

Intake.......... 0.010"

Exhaust...... 0.012"

Set to TDC compression or exhaust and do half of them, turn motor ONE full turn and do the rest. Done before they get cold.

edit: 420and620 brought to my attention that I had them backwards. Cold and Hot clearances are now corrected

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The feeler gauge should have a slight drag on it. If it fits easily then the adjustment will be off.

Easiest way to double-check is to use the next size gauge, and verify that it won't fit in the gap.

Then there is the problem that if the valve adjustment was postponed for years, the hammering of the valve stem wears it down and becomes noisy. An adjustment won't fix that, but a new valve (or reconditioned lash cap in case of L-series engine) and replacing the rocker/follower is needed to get rid of the noise.

Take a wooden hammer handle or w/e and push down on the rocker where it meets the valve spring with the engine running. Hang on to it! It will jump around! Push down firmly as it moves up and down and you will remove the valve clearance. The clearance will then be under the cam lobe where the ramp slides up and contacts it more gently, When the tic goes away, you have found the valve with the extra clearance.

Take a wooden hammer handle or w/e and push down on the rocker where it meets the valve spring with the engine running. Hang on to it! It will jump around! Push down firmly as it moves up and down and you will remove the valve clearance. The clearance will then be under the cam lobe where the ramp slides up and contacts it more gently, When the tic goes away, you have found the valve with the extra clearance.

SHIT. i think i know what i have been doing! i have been measuring the gap between the cam lobe and the rocker, it is supposed to be measured where the rocker meets the valve??

if it does i feel like an idiot....

I am pretty sure that i can see the problem. :D

It is that FRAM filter. :poke:

yes.... i was buying a jug of oil at autozone and the guy said they had a deal goin where it would be cheaper to get the oil and the filter than just the oil so i got a fram....

timing, carb setting and age/wear of engine can also have an affect on noise of engine. These are old skool engines and will be louder/ticking more than new engines, the tolerance on these engines was not as close as they are today.

One of the things that help me adjust my valves is that I sanded down one of the wrenches, forgot which one, so that it's easier to loosen/tighten the bolt.