gas tank cleaning - so. cal help

hey party people, just got off the phone with a near-by radiator place and they want to charge me $120.00 to get my tank cleaned.

is there anyone in the southern california area, technically san fernando to san diego, that knows a shop that does good tank boiling/cleaning?

not to say that the guy that quoted me isnt reputable but i just want to check out prices and see if there are alternatives. any help?

here are some pics of the damage:

1308106126882.jpg

1308107923087.jpg

1308107929166.jpg

1308107912860.jpg

1308107896761.jpg

1308108399690.jpg

the outside looks dirty but can be cleaned. inside, one side of the tank looks new as day, the other side (the pics) was rusty.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had the best luck with the following. Go to the hardware store, and get the cheapest bulk nuts and bolts possible....lag screws, lock washers, bolts nuts etc, stuff with sharp edges.........using a small amount of fuel (1/2 gallon at a time), and a few lbs of these new clean objects, swish this mixture all up in that tank, up down round and round and round. Pull bolts out and clean in solvent, or even put a new batch in, and do it again.....the bolts n stuff scour the hell out of the inside of the tank, and fuel is a great solvent! Cheap easy and VERY effective....been doing this on Dattos ever since I could remember..........grandad had me doing this as a little tyke, one of my first memories actually of working on Dattos..

Good luck!

I have had the best luck with the following. Go to the hardware store, and get the cheapest bulk nuts and bolts possible....lag screws, lock washers, bolts nuts etc, stuff with sharp edges.........using a small amount of fuel (1/2 gallon at a time), and a few lbs of these new clean objects, swish this mixture all up in that tank, up down round and round and round. Pull bolts out and clean in solvent, or even put a new batch in, and do it again.....the bolts n stuff scour the hell out of the inside of the tank, and fuel is a great solvent! Cheap easy and VERY effective....been doing this on Dattos ever since I could remember..........grandad had me doing this as a little tyke, one of my first memories actually of working on Dattos..

Good luck!

I heard about the same thing, but using a link of chain instead. Now for $120 and to get it cleaned and pressure tested seems resonable to me and safer.

Good luck!

As I have said before, I would do the above, I have heard of using a small chain also, then after all the rust you can knock loose is out, go buy a good quality tank sealer and follow the directions. If you seal the tank with a good quality sealer it will never have a rust issue again. Don't buy cheapest, buy the best they have. I send away for mine from the east coast.

When I drove the car home it had sat since 2002 and that was two years ago. The filter plugged twice and I just unhooked it and shook the orange shit out of it. I replaced the filter and it plugged in a week with orange sediment so I pulled the tank and emptied out the gas. Dumped in gravel and grit and some water and swirled it around for as long as my arms could shake it and dumped it out and rinsed with the garden hose, let dry and put back. Drove to Canby a few weeks later and Mrs. d drove it all summer and fall last year. Filter still looks good.

I'm currently wondering the same thing. I'm in need of pulling my fuel tank to see how bad the damage is.

options that I've heard so far for rust removal are:

using vinegar and water solution

or

using molasses and water (ratio 1:9) and let soak for 2 to 4 days.

sloshing the inside of the tank can be done with nuts/bolts, chains, and I've even seen people with good welding skills actually just cut it open clean it by hand and re-seal it.

I'm still trying to find out what kind of sealer to slosh it with and how long and how much and if it will withstand fuel and prevent rust over time. Also need to know if it would be a good idea to seal the outside of the tank and primer and paint.

$100 for a pressure test at a radiator shop doesn't seem like a bad idea for a good price either. I'll be shopping around and playing with my options.

There is a write-up I found on line that vw guys do to their tanks and use a por-15 sealant specific for the tank. When I was looking at options I was quoted $150.00 to boil the tank. Then it would be more to seal it. I pulled my tank and found it was clogged with sediment, and not rusted. I drained the tank, used 3m throttle plate cleaner, then used bailing wire twisted up and shoved it through the outlet. Then I used a flat metal blade from a wiper blade and twisted it in there. I was Able to fix it. If I had a rusted tank I would follow por-15 write up. I will see about posting the link.

What about sloshing around some Klean Strip phosphoric acid ($15, Home Depot)? That'll get rid of the rust fo sho.

Phosphoric acid does not "get rid" of rust~ it chemically neutralizes it. First do the NismoDr/DatzenMike thing to remove loose/flaking rust, THEN the phosphoric acid solution diluted to 50% w/ distilled water. Distilled not necessary, but an extra step I always take~ and NEVER use well water! Let it dry well~ we're talking DAYS. Then for the ultimate finish get a fuel tank coating (last one I did I think was from POR-15) to thwart a possible relapse, AND it puts an extra margin of sealing around the tank's weld seams.

so far i am liking the nuts and bolts idea and then seal it.

however, the radiator guy warned me that if he did it, i would get it cleaned, no worries, no issues.... but then, i was warned that if i did it myself and the sealer, for some reason, did not stick to the tank walls that i would end up having sealer floating around in the tank and thats not good.

i have tried the gravel option to something else, an expansion tank, and it didnt really work. also, the tank has a splash guard/baffle so i cannot see what it looks like past that.

i also need to make sure that the fuel sending unit/float works so i can use it because if it doesnt then why would i need to get the tank cleaned. there is pleanty of space if i remove the spare tire....new tank would be my last option.

While hidden in my explanation, I did not fully describe proper use of Phosphoric acid. It is imperative that all flaking rust be removed, or the H3PO4 will be ineffective~ as it has no pentrative properties beyond the surface for which it comes in contact....

My humblest apologies~

Scott

Phosphoric acid does not "get rid" of rust~ it chemically neutralizes it. First do the NismoDr/DatzenMike thing to remove loose/flaking rust, THEN the phosphoric acid solution diluted to 50% w/ distilled water. Distilled not necessary, but an extra step I always take~ and NEVER use well water! Let it dry well~ we're talking DAYS. Then for the ultimate finish get a fuel tank coating (last one I did I think was from POR-15) to thwart a possible relapse, AND it puts an extra margin of sealing around the tank's weld seams.

Whenever I've used the Klean Strip stuff my parts come out as clean, bare metal. Could be other additives in the mix, but it doesn't leave me with a black residue like other "rust converters". Just sayin...