Redemption

:)

As I just posted that, I realized that I had gotten so busy and caught up, that I had forgotten to add a pretty big upgrade that took place last fall.

I'll play a little catch up and start in, just so I don't let myself forget.

Last fall, in preparing to take the 610 on her Big Trial run to JCCS 11', I was prompted by my lady to consider installing A/C for her comfort. I wasn't too big on the idea, as I had nothing to fear from So Cal heat. After all, I lived in Satan's armpit, Phoenix, AZ for 2 and a half years with zero A/C. That's right. It was brutal. But seeing her as the weaker of the sexes, and having compassion on her, I set out create a comfortable atmosphere in the Datsun on our way down south.

I pretty much had to start with nothing. A friend of mine had an A/C setup that he offered to give me, so I picked that up. After retrieving the setup, I saw that I would only be able to use a couple pieces; the Compressor(condition of which was questionable),

037.jpg

and the Evaporator(also, questionable). The hoses, while there, were all but usable. They were the "crimp" style, which came not from the factory, but as a dealer add-on when the cars came to the states. I searched and searched everywhere, but was up the creek. Not only for finding fittings, but for finding replacement lengths of the hose as well. Since the condenser he gave me also had the barbed "crimp style" fittings, a replacement would have to be sourced.

The replacement came in the form of an 83' 280zx condenser, from an 280zx I had been parting out. While it wasn't a perfect fit, with slight modifications, it fit the bill. After all, the price was right, and I was pressed for time.

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

More on this when I can find the pics...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread MM! You write really well actually, and I couldn't stop reading till I reached the end. Thanks for making me late for work! (Good thing I work for myself!)

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

It's been quite some time since I've updated this, because it's been quite some time since I've upgraded the wagon. I recently came upon a veritable bonanza of 610 parts, and one of them was the sport coupe style center console that was pirated during my original purchase of the wagon. Since then, I've had to deal with a barren wasteland of a driveline tunnel, along with a plethora of feral wiring and an exposed CD player just begging to be stolen by any riff raff who just so happened to be ambitious enough to sever 2 zip ties.

The first thing to do was clean up some of that wiring. I've been told that at one point in time, there were multiple lights on the front of the wagon.. an obscene amount to be quite frank. The bumper and lights have long since been removed by one of the previous owners, but the wiring was still there(and in a less than organized fashion, I might add). In order to clean things up a bit, I removed the wiring that wasn't in use...

Photo2372_zps295660db.jpgPhoto2370_zps213c6bc3.jpgPhoto2369_zps29b692fd.jpgPhoto2371_zps8616f9d5.jpg

As far as the wiring goes, this is what I ended up taking out.

Photo2373_zps8333486a.jpg

With that mess out, it was time to start fitting the Sport Coupe console. Here's a pic of what I had going before..

Photo2689_zps8127e610.jpgPhoto2690_zpsbc93fee4.jpg

Yes, I know. Barbaric. However, the console fit the bill, and now things are looking a little classier.

Photo2691_zpsf485719f.jpg

That's the upper, now the lower.

Photo2692_zpsc48d1d53.jpgPhoto2694_zpsa732dca8.jpgPhoto2693_zpsebb96699.jpg

Not too shabby, if I do say so myself. It'll take some fine tuning to get it to sit just right and have all the heater ducts lining up, but for now, it's a vast, vast improvement over the crude setup that I had before.

Yeah, definitely gonna pull it all out, replace the seals at the heater connections, clean it up and add a new shift boot.

As far as the two rear slots, I'm not quite sure, every one that I've seen look like they used to have a little door or something on em, kinda like a flip open ashtray, but I've never seen one with anything attached. When I was putting it in, I was trying to figure out if it was a slot to stick or seat belt clasp to keep it from falling between the seats.. I dunno. Paging Zerow..

(I saw the "0" in the sky...)

The slots are, in fact, for the seat belt buckles to lock in and not fall...

Funny, as the '74 and later 610s have the buckles that are not the style that can fall down.

The "stepped wedge" is for adjusting the aftermarket ADDCO center console.

(I saw the "0" in the sky...)

The slots are, in fact, for the seat belt buckles to lock in and not fall...

Funny, as the '74 and later 610s have the buckles that are not the style that can fall down.

The "stepped wedge" is for adjusting the aftermarket ADDCO center console.

Wow you guys are the best... I hated fishing for my seat belt latch, never again!! :devil:

P1000354_zps8bdde1dd.jpg

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

Wow, haven't posted in here in a while.. guess that's what happens when you have other projects come up. Well, since I bought the wagon, some of the electrical systems have been pretty weak(headlights, blower motor, rear window defrost, etc.). I really haven't paid much mind to them as everything still functioned, but just not that well. After a no-start situation at Eagle_Adam's BBQ/Meet in Eugene, I decided that these gremlins had gone too far. I went straight to the heart of things and soaked the fuse box in a vinegar bath.. after cleaning with a baking soda/water solution to neutralize the acetic acid, I was left with this...

Photo3590_zpse8b1ca56.jpg?t=1378662484

While the lights are brighter and the fan blows stronger(#1 setting is equal to what #3 used to put out), those 4 terminals which are all connected by the same bus bar are all paper thin and corroded. They can't stay like that.

Yeah. It'd be one thing if I had done all of that(wouldn't have been butchered like it is), then I'd know what the purpose of every Scotch-lock and severed wire was. Since I'm kinda going into it blind, it's a bit more of an ordeal.. not a problem, though. Wiring doesn't bother me like it does some people.