How I broke down driving to Canby THREAD

I heard a few stories of people having troubles while commuting to Canby 2011. It only makes sense with all these classic cars and some making some impressive drives to make the event. I only ~200 miles round trip but had some issues myself. I drove up from Eugene on Sunday morning to check out the show and had my check ending light come on in the first 20 miles. I pulled over to get gas and pulled codes in the parking lot. Found code to be the EGR temp sensor fault. I just swapped engines and the new one didn't have an EGR valve. What I did was plug the temperature sensor in to attempt to keep the light off which worked until now. I guess it's no a permanent fix and I'[ll need to replace the sensor with a resistor.

After clearing the code, I was off and had no other issues!

Please feel free to share your breakdown stories.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a few stories of people having troubles while commuting to Canby 2011. It only makes sense with all these classic cars and some making some impressive drives to make the event. I only ~200 miles round trip but had some issues myself. I drove up from Eugene on Sunday morning to check out the show and had my check ending light come on in the first 20 miles. I pulled over to get gas and pulled codes in the parking lot. Found code to be the EGR temp sensor fault. I just swapped engines and the new one didn't have an EGR valve. What I did was plug the temperature sensor in to attempt to keep the light off which worked until now. I guess it's no a permanent fix and I'[ll need to replace the sensor with a resistor.

After clearing the code, I was off and had no other issues!

Please feel free to share your breakdown stories.

Glad to hear you had an easy fix! But you truly missed the excitement of the quest to Canby. Having some electrical probs of my own, gracious and helpful new friends assisted in the application of several bandaids to my ailing truck. But the real fun began when they headed back on the road, and as I brought up the rear I found myself behind a travelling blue cloud~ Brandon's 620 decided it didn't like compression rings any more, using more quarts of oil in the last 3+ hours that can be counted. But the troops rallied, he found a used motor, and when I left this AM the PIT CREW was putting the finishing touches on an overnight engine swap using stone knives -n- bearskins for tools~ LITERALLY! I had donated my rear bumper to a fellow ratman, and it ended up being the arm of a human cherrypicker. We drew quite an audience last night! Alas~ someone else will need to pen the epilogue, as I missed the closing laps of this race. Who will chime in?

This weekend was so rad with the impromptu swaps done. What a rad group of people so willing to help out fellow Datto lovers!! And total success stories all the way around..... although I hope your 521 made it back under its own power too, Albyneau. :unsure:

Brody is currently on the shitter with the laptop going through the timelapse photos of both the clutch and engine swaps on the GoPro. Might be a few days before the full timelapses are done and up, but I'll try to post a few teaser photos when I get the files. :thumbup:

This weekend was so rad with the impromptu swaps done. What a rad group of people so willing to help out fellow Datto lovers!! And total success stories all the way around..... although I hope your 521 made it back under its own power too, Albyneau. :unsure:

Brody is currently on the shitter with the laptop going through the timelapse photos of both the clutch and engine swaps on the GoPro. Might be a few days before the full timelapses are done and up, but I'll try to post a few teaser photos when I get the files. :thumbup:

Yes, Ma'am~ made it back relatively unscathed! Looking forward to the T/L videos~ and seeing you guys again~! I had such a blast, and met sooo many great people~ you guys are all THE BOMB!!! :thumbup:

I just made it home (I only like like 10min from canby too), Im literally a zombie atm

so tired but so awesome.

Ill have pics of empic fixes tomorrow. but someone will prob beat me to it.

what epicness

U live 10mins away? Lucky you.. get to see all those Dattos rollin in n out of the place.. u better have had some great Oics.. lol

No major problems for me on the way. Except for the rag I picked up from the road and it wrapped around the drive line at 60 mph. It kicked it outta gear and was slappin the shit out of the tunnel. Wide14u was scared to death in the passenger seat :lol: . Took about 5 mins to unwrap it from the driveline and off we went.

Voltage regulator went out 125 miles away from home today, I now have really bright lights and super fast wipers :lol:

• Like 1

Glad to hear you had an easy fix! But you truly missed the excitement of the quest to Canby. Having some electrical probs of my own, gracious and helpful new friends assisted in the application of several bandaids to my ailing truck. But the real fun began when they headed back on the road, and as I brought up the rear I found myself behind a travelling blue cloud~ Brandon's 620 decided it didn't like compression rings any more, using more quarts of oil in the last 3+ hours that can be counted. But the troops rallied, he found a used motor, and when I left this AM the PIT CREW was putting the finishing touches on an overnight engine swap using stone knives -n- bearskins for tools~ LITERALLY! I had donated my rear bumper to a fellow ratman, and it ended up being the arm of a human cherrypicker. We drew quite an audience last night! Alas~ someone else will need to pen the epilogue, as I missed the closing laps of this race. Who will chime in?

I recall hearing about this when they were doing the raffle tickets and awards. Pretty sweet everyone was able to help piece it back together on the fly! Sounds like a great time. Next year I'll have to meet up with some people and get the full tour of the event. This year I checked in around 12 on Sunday and then had to split about 3 hours later. I'll be back next year!

I'm sure there will be more stories as people start arriving home.

My 620 did amazing, and I was proud to pave the way for the motor swap saturday by doing the clutch job in Chesters truck friday night! Set up camp about 830 and had him on the road at 1130! Thanks to Mklotz for the smokin deal on the parts too! Albyneau, i hope i gave you sound advice and that the voltage regulator fixed your problems, and thanks to datrod for the awesome deal on the regulator..........it was really amazing to see how everyone there pitched in and helped those in need. Datsun driving canby fun!!

I just made it home (I only like like 10min from canby too), Im literally a zombie atm

so tired but so awesome.

Ill have pics of empic fixes tomorrow. but someone will prob beat me to it.

what epicness

I must see this empic fix skib!

I must see this empic fix skib!

lol dude i was so fucked up after the show on sun.

I was so tired i was weeble wobbling when I stood lol

I had to load up my parts and drop them off at the folks, come back get the bbq and run it to OC, then come back again and drive the roadster back to the GF's and then come back aaaaagain to get my truck and finally go get food and go home.

(I ate like 2 burgers all weekend. i was rushing around so much i forgot to eat)

I was the last one to leave canby... at about 9pm