How do I go a little lower?

Ok, so my 73 620 is on 3" blocks in the back and the front torsion bar anchor bolts are as low as I can get them.

How do I go a little lower SAFELY in the back? I've heard if you go with 4 inch blocks it trashes the carrier bearing and if I take one of the leafs out it will be too soft. I've also heard someone say 720 leaf springs will lower it but I can't seem to find any. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

88aeea4d.jpg

560753fe.jpg

6da17078.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well in your case from the big tire you have, your gonna prolly be better off to have the stock leafs de-arched by a shop...

this will keep alot of the axle wrap out of the picture, and youll still have all your leafs to carry a couch or something, if needed..

you can take a leaf out right now, and then flip it and put it back in the pack... it should stiffen up the pack, and maybe get ya an inch er two closer to the ground...

and then you can also do the 4x4 720 leafs... chester on here has a set in his 620... lowered the truck about 1.5in...

food for thought...

you could use sand bags to lower it lol

Don't laugh~ sandbags have their place! A friend and I both had big block '68 Camaros, and between us we carried four 100# cement bags for traction....

Fist of all, I LOVE your truck and LOVE the color on it!

Second, why lower it? The stance is perfect!

Thanks! And its hard to tell from the pics but the rear is a little higher than the front so the whole truck leans forward and Im not a fan of this look. Im going for the even stance not the hot rod look.

YUMMMMM JDM front end.....

However i was told the same and there is a set out in my junk yard.. I can swing by and see how much they are.

You can but youre in arizona and I dont think shipping leaf springs would be very pracitcal, probably not worth the $$$ and just for you!

IMG_6323.jpg

well in your case from the big tire you have, your gonna prolly be better off to have the stock leafs de-arched by a shop...

...you can take a leaf out right now, and then flip it and put it back in the pack... it should stiffen up the pack, and maybe get ya an inch er two closer to the ground...

Im sorry, do you mean i should just take a leaf out and roll with it? How much do shops normally charge for this to "de-arch" leafsprings? What type of shops do this?

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Thanks for your input but I'm kinda looking for a "quick" and "cheap" way to lower it just for the next few months. I'm leaving for Japan in September and I'll be there for 2 years so my Datsun is going to a good friends place in Mississippi and getting c-notched, body dropped and bagged while I'm in the land of the Rising Sun!

Thanks! And its hard to tell from the pics but the rear is a little higher than the front so the whole truck leans forward and Im not a fan of this look. Im going for the even stance not the hot rod look.

Could always raise the front an inch.... :huh:

Could always raise the front an inch.... :huh:

haha figured someone would say that... unfortunately once something is set at a height it can only get lower in my opinion... id never raise anything back up haha... hence why its getting bagged... then i wont be able to get any lower hahahaha

haha figured someone would say that... unfortunately once something is set at a height it can only get lower in my opinion... id never raise anything back up haha... hence why its getting bagged... then i wont be able to get any lower hahahaha

If you're having it bagged soon, why go through the trouble of doing something 3 times?

But, if you must have it lower, and it is in fact only temporary, get some 4" blocks, shims, slam it and rock it.

OR, get off the pot.

• 3 weeks later...

With my truck I have the 4x4 720 leafs and at first I had them with _ inch blocks and the front all the way down and when I hit bumps the rear end woukd hit the frame I had about 2 inches of room back there now I am running only 2 inch blockd anf dont have to worry unless I am loaded down. Also the 4x4 720 leafs feel a lot soft then stock 620 ones

Thanks for your input but I'm kinda looking for a "quick" and "cheap" way to lower it just for the next few months. I'm leaving for Japan in September and I'll be there for 2 years so my Datsun is going to a good friends place in Mississippi and getting c-notched, body dropped and bagged while I'm in the land of the Rising Sun!

Why bother with that if you're leaving and it's going to change anyway?

• 1 month later...
2eDeYe' date='28 June 2011 - 07:22 AM' timestamp='1309274577' post='502343']

With the 4 inch blocks, you just need to make a 1" or so spacer for the carrier bearing to keep it from getting torn up and to minimize and u-joint vibrations.

maybe thread stealing, but im running 3 inch blocks on my 521. where can i get such a spacer? also, how much fab work does it take to get the spacer in?