slodat's 521

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 521 made it into the big bay of my shop today. I spent all day yesterday myself. My buddy Ollie and I did a 9-5 shift today working on the shop. Getting stuff sorted out, put away and organized. Now, the 521 is in the main bay and the main bay is clean and clear wall to wall. The 521 looks tiny in a 24 x 33' space.

Tomorrow, I am going to look at a huge collection of parts that will more than complete this truck. Things to come - SR2.2DET (with standalone EMS), power steering, a/c and ride height at the photos above.

More on ride height. In June, I removed the shocks and torsion bars to get a feel for how it looks slammed. At that point, I decided to do things the what hot rodders do - pick your wheels and build the rig to ride height. I'm happy with the way the truck sits right now. Slight rake and just enough tuck of the 17's to make things all look nice and in proportion. So, now I just have to figure out how to make the current height = ride height - with suspension travel. The rear is fine for now. I'm not messing with it until the truck is on the road and sorted out.

For the front, I'll just set it up to work the way the truck sits now. The only thing "in the way" is the inner fenderwells. They have that fold where the battery tray was. That needs to be removed and rounded out and I should be cool for turning the tires. I'll roll the fenders. There's plenty of room for everything else under the fender.

So, hopefully I strike up a deal tomorrow. Fingers crossed. :D

• 2 months later...

Hi Slodat, what is going on on this build. We need a fix. Please update with lots of pictures.

I was out of town working September - mid December. Once I got home spending time with my girl relaxing was a lot more important than isolating myself out in the cold shop. I'm spending the weekend in the shop working on shop projects to help get me to the point I can start the 521 build. With all that said, I have a lot of progress on the truck build as far as preparation goes.

I have a complete power steering box setup from a 280ZX. I have a steering shaft section and rag joint from a 720. I'll keep the steering column stock looking on the inside and graft the 720 under hood section to it. The column will be shortened to make the interior a little more comfortable for the driver. I have all new front suspension parts awaiting install. The KA already has a power steering pump on it. So, once it is all mounted up, I'll just have to sort out the high pressure line.

I have a set of Beebani's upper control arms and am having a set of custom lower control arms being made that will eliminate the T/C rods by adding an additional mount point rear of the arm.

The QA1 DR3855P coil overs are in the shop, so that high purchase is out of the way. I got them for $375 shipped, with springs from Louis at Paradise Racing. Best price I've found anywhere.

I have the front and rear calipers and hoses..

I'm waiting for the lower control arms to be finished and to get some shop projects sorted out. I bought a TIG welder and need to get things cleaned up and put away so the 521 can take the focus of the shop for a while..

• 1 month later...

I've been focusing on getting the shop situated. I got my new air compressor wired in and plumbed the hose reel today. Once everything is put away and all of the tools are where they belong and working I'll start the truck. I'm also helping a good friend do a full mechanical refurb on his '79 620 so he can use it as a daily driver. I'm thinking I'll be able to drive the 521 to Canby.. Naturally aspirated..

Also, the lower control arms were just finished yesterday and are about to be shipped to me. I'll have something going as soon as I am able.. :D

• 6 months later...

I've had the truck 2.5 years. I just haven't put any work in to it thus far. I've thrown a lot of money at the parts pile. More and more I'm thinking I don't want a "show truck" or a truck that I won't want to use as a truck. The plan now is to get my KA swap done in my 620 KC and put that L20b in this truck to get it running and driving. THEN, I'll decide if I'm keeping the 521 or not...

That means, it's for sale for the right price ;)

• 1 month later...
..it's for sale for the right price ;)

Or not.

IMG_2407.jpg

This is the 521 sitting at the front of my shop will space to work on it without changing anything else in the shop. The upholstery materials have since been stowed away. First order of business is getting the front suspension started..

• 4 months later...

I dragged this thing home February 29, 2008 - almost three years ago! Tonight at the Beaverton Red Robin meetup a few of us got to talking about my continuous back and forth about what to do with my two trucks and such. One thing led to another and it all ended in this:

IMG_3550.JPG

IMG_3553.JPG

To say the pucker factor was high a few times is a huge understatement. With the help of three faithful friends, I got the cab off the frame, and on the rolling stand I bought for it a couple years ago, without incident. Let the fun and fabricating begin!! THANK YOU Mikey, Hugh and Rob!!

• 1 month later...

Wow I run a strap aroung the outside of the cab about 12" to the rear of the door hinge pillar and use another strap from the center of the radiator support & lift it of with an engine hoist. No hoist available I pull the doors & get 3 friends & we lifthe cab off by hand. Withe the doors off & the interior stripped the bear cab weighs under 500LBs.

You can see the strap I use in this picture.

DSC00354.jpg

Great progress.

• 3 years later...