slodat's 521

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo Steve! Are the parts over at Mike's? Mind if a check something on the spindles? I'm wondering if its just the steering stop that prevents 15" wheels on these pieces. If that's all it is, i'd sooner cut them off and relocate.

-Brian

They are at my house. I don't have hubs yet, so it would make it a small challenge to mount up a wheel. Unless you have a hub & bearings to mock it up with.

I called BellTech's support line when I was thinking about running 15" wheels on my 620 with their drop spindles. They said it depends upon the wheel, but that many 15's will work. The warning is so people don't cry when the stock 14" steelies don't work with their drop spindles, according to the guy I talked to.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Small but important update. I rented a 2 bay (20 x 24) shop a couple months ago. Yesterday I found out the 2 bays next to me are opening up. I'll have 4 bays wide in the next few days. The 521 will be moved to the shop the day I get the keys! Then it goes up on jack stands and the suspension and brakes will start going together. Once the suspension and brakes are on it, I'm going to get it running with an L series and get it on the road. I want to put some miles on it before I do the SR swap.

• 4 weeks later...

The 521 has been in the shop for a week now. I pulled the L20b and 5 speed that came in it out. The engine is going in the KC and the transmission in my 510. Now that the truck is in the shop and I see it every time I walk in, I am that much more motivated to get to work on it. There is a ton of work that I can do to it with minimal cash outlay. So, the plan is to find a KA to put in the truck. I'll run a Z transmission and a rear sump pan. That should make for an easier engine and transmission installation. It will get the new front suspension and 4 wheel disc brakes as well.

So, I'm in the market for an inexpensive KA E or DE..

• 3 weeks later...
The 521 has been in the shop for a week now. I pulled the L20b and 5 speed that came in it out. The engine is going in the KC and the transmission in my 510. Now that the truck is in the shop and I see it every time I walk in, I am that much more motivated to get to work on it. There is a ton of work that I can do to it with minimal cash outlay. So, the plan is to find a KA to put in the truck. I'll run a Z transmission and a rear sump pan. That should make for an easier engine and transmission installation. It will get the new front suspension and 4 wheel disc brakes as well.

So, I'm in the market for an inexpensive KA E or DE..

I can't wait to see this swap. :) Sounds like you have it all figured out. :D

WAIT,, your gonna bust on someones fuel cell set up and you are in dire need of a cab....i got one laying around if you need one. glass houses aren't the best choice to be throwing stones from. :(

What are you talking about? In dire need of a cab? My truck is about as rust free and straight as any 521 on the planet! Who are you dude?

What are you talking about? In dire need of a cab? My truck is about as rust free and straight as any 521 on the planet! Who are you dude?

Im nobody really, but I am 6'-8" tall so i can't ride with you.:lol: I just saw you busting on someones fuel cell set up on another forum and checked out yours. Im not a fan of chopping nor louvers and I thought I'd voice my opinion since you voiced your opinion about his mods. I can voice my opinion, can't I! And I am sure you do have a rust free cab but for me the chop job just doesn't look right and bobs are for wheelers. Hey its just my opinion of what your rollin don't get all butt hurt. I do like you 510 pics though!;)

Edited by jrock4224
  • 1 month later...