slodat's 521

I finally got my secret project home today. It is a heavily modified '69 521. Here's a brief description:

Top chopped 5.5"

Mustang roof section with liftout glass sunroof - with working water drains. No leaks!!

One piece glass all around

Bed has been shortened in length, bed sides extend down to match body lines of cab, suicide tailgate, reshaped bed top rails.... hundreds of hours of work in the bed.

Shaved and filled front valence.

Just tons of custom body work - all done in steel.

He owned the truck for over 25 years. It came with a bunch of brand new in the package parts. It has a mild performance build L20b and 5 speed.

I have some work to do to get it driving. Once it's driving, plan is to iron out the bugs.

Then - Beebani's front control arms and hardbody front brakes with front coil overs. Rear panhard bar and trooper rear brakes. Escalade 17's. You get the idea.

Here's a couple photos:

MISC%20003.jpg

MISC%20004.jpg

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want it running asap. There is a ton in store for this truck. The guy I bought it from will do the finish body work and paint. It will get flush mount front and rear glass, full paint (black with something sweet in the mix), updated frenched rear lights..

And.. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have Nelson at Altered Motives do an SR20 swap down the road a little once the suspension and brakes are up to snuff...

As far as the flush mount windows go, when I paint the truck, the guy I bought it from will do it. We discussed the flush mount windows when I picked it up. He will take care of that.

There will be no cheesy lips on the front of anything I own..

The tailgate opens on the driver side. It is pretty slick how he did it.

Progress....

I bought these today for the truck:

P1010215.jpg

I test fitted a radiator and think I have found one that will work.. More on that soon.

I scored a 3 month old battery for $20. I'm mounting the battery in the bed just in front of the passenger side wheel well.

Once the battery is mounted and wired up, I can get the engine bay wiring reconnected. I'm sorting out how I will do the alternator. I want to run a CS-130. I'm thinking driver side mounting may be the way to go.

It won't take a whole lot to get it running. Hopefully this week for a ride around the block..

I picked up the rest of the tid bits I need to relocate the battery to the bed. The PO had already removed the battery tray under the hood.

I also sorted out the radiator. I'm running a V6 Fiero radiator. I pulled the stock mounting setup out of a Fiero today at the bone yard. It looks like I'll be able to modify it and have a pretty slick radiator mounting setup. The bottom hose is the stock 521 hose. The upper is Napa #8223.

I should have a chance to measure the driveline tomorrow so I can get it shortened. I need to bleed the brakes and some little stuff. Hoping to have a ride around the block in the truck this week...

Nice!

I remember going to napa to get the same hose for my car. the counterman didn't quite know what to think about the toyota (i think) hose for a pontiac radiator in a datsun car.

A good place to take the driveline is I-5 driveline, here in vantucky. I've always heard good things about their work, and prices

II'm running a V6 Fiero radiator. I pulled the stock mounting setup out of a Fiero today at the bone yard. It looks like I'll be able to modify it and have a pretty slick radiator mounting setup. The bottom hose is the stock 521 hose. The upper is Napa #8223..

This is valuable news indeed Slodat! Please do a write up in the how to section on this. Pretty please!!

This is valuable news indeed Slodat! Please do a write up in the how to section on this. Pretty please!!

A how to write up? This is how I am doing it.... Stock 510 lower radiator hose (Gates 20779). It gets trimmed to fit on the radiator side. Napa 8223 for the upper. Gets trimmed to fit as well. For mounting the radiator, I'm not sure exactly. There's plenty of room for it. It is designed to cool a V6 and has been used in SR20DET cars.

looks pretty awesome!!! im digging the louvers, not sure if thats exactly the right word, and the matched bed to cab.

They are louvers. Stamped from one of the old machines that built the old Mustang planes. The PO put a TON of work into that bed. It is incredible.

Update:

The PO made the frame mounts for the L20b. It originally had a J13. The engine sits rather close to the firewall, but looks like it will be fine. The alternator on the engine currently is the stock externally regulated J13 original unit. It is all that will fit in there without hitting the idler arm. Those that know me know this will not do.

So, I'm sorting out an alternator swap. I'm a fan of the Delco (GM) CS130 series alternators. I'm sorting out mounting it on the driver side of the engine. I'll follow up once I sort out more details tomorrow.

As far as the flush mount windows go, when I paint the truck, the guy I bought it from will do it. We discussed the flush mount windows when I picked it up. He will take care of that.

There will be no cheesy lips on the front of anything I own..

The tailgate opens on the driver side. It is pretty slick how he did it.

Progress....

I bought these today for the truck:

P1010215.jpg

I test fitted a radiator and think I have found one that will work.. More on that soon.

I scored a 3 month old battery for $20. I'm mounting the battery in the bed just in front of the passenger side wheel well.

Once the battery is mounted and wired up, I can get the engine bay wiring reconnected. I'm sorting out how I will do the alternator. I want to run a CS-130. I'm thinking driver side mounting may be the way to go.

It won't take a whole lot to get it running. Hopefully this week for a ride around the block..

Nice wheels....what did you pick those up for??

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm missing my datto's big time! I have been able to get a little done to my 510 when I've been home.

I can't get this truck off my mind lately. I really want to get it on the road.

The long term plan is to do an SR20DET. It needs a lot before that is possible. So, I'm starting to plan out what I need to do to get it on the road with the L20b that's in it. I want to get all the brakes, suspension and details sorted out before I put the SR20 in.

I'm hoping Beebani will make me a set of front control arms to get the ball rolling...

I have been working in the midwest since spring. I will be here for at least the next three months. Most likely without a visit home. Hotel life gets really boring. Lots of time to day dream and plan projects. I waver a lot on what I want out of my 510. This truck on the other hand, is solid in my head with respect to what I'd like to do.

Since I'm here in a hotel. I thought I'd jot some notes down in my project thread to both solicit input/feedback and to get a bit of a fix for my lack of Datsun.

I drooled over this truck for a long time. I barely got the money together in time to buy it. It is exactly what I want with respect to the body mods. Now, it is just a matter of getting it where I want mechanically.

Suspension & Brakes:

• Beebani's upper control arms (which gets me into ball joint front end)
  • Hardbody dropped spindles
  • V6 4x4 Hardbody rotors and calipers
  • Coil over setup - similar to Brandon's setup. This will allow for torsion bar removal. Which makes room for turbo down pipe.
  • Rack and pinion for steering*
  • Street rod style chevy tilt steering column*
  • Trooper rear disc brakes
  • ZX master cylinder

Drivetrain:

• S13 SR20DET* - stock setup with FMIC and BOV.
  • 3" exhaust
  • Powerbrute LSD
  • 510 wagon 3.70 gears (I need to source this)

My plan of attack is to get the front suspension, front and rear brakes and rear differential complete myself. I ordered the upper control arms and rear caliper brackets tonight. I am planning on having Nelson at Altered Motives do the engine swap and steering.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?